Large Canvas Wrap Challenges

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I had some recent challenges with two large 40X60 canvas wraps. I had these done at Bay Photo and sold them to a friend who lives in a super dry climate. After a couple months the canvas loosened up and waves appeared across the surface. Obviously not a good thing when you shell out the $$ for canvas wraps that large. :Wow1:

The good thing is Bay Photo stood behind their product and promptly replaced them both.

Then round two. The replacement canvas wraps also began to loosen and develop wrinkles after a couple months. Not as pronounced and the first ones but still significant enough to detract from the product and require replacement.

Bay Photo suggested maybe an different product since the large wraps don't seem to like the dry climate. The client and I opted to have them replaced with 40X60 metal prints which should be a solid replacement for years to come.

BTW, this client also has two 20X30 canvas wraps from Bay Photo which have not exhibited the same problem. Only the 40X60 wraps had problems.

My question is, has anyone else had problems with canvas wraps of that size loosening up over time or was my experience unique?

I was thinking about getting 40X60 Canvas wrap for my own house in Tucson but after this experience I think I'll shift to metal if I want that size.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I was thinking about getting 40X60 Canvas wrap for my own house in Tucson

Brad can you elaborate on statement above? What exactly is a canvas house wrap?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I was thinking about getting 40X60 Canvas wrap for my own house in Tucson

Brad can you elaborate on statement above? What exactly is a canvas house wrap?

:xxrotflma OK, I can see how I could have worded that a little better. I should have said Canvas Wrap photographic prints. :sombrero:

Fine Art Giclée Canvas Gallery Wraps http://www.bayphoto.com/canvas-prints/gallery-wraps/

If I wanted a house wrapped in canvas I think I would just go tent camping.:elkgrin:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
In Oman I had a friend doing large canvas pic's

he had the frames and canvas made locally, the frames had a wedge system which meant the picture could be re-tensioned over time rather than a fixed frame

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I thought that might be a logical option. Since we don't have to return these I may bring his down to my place in Tucson and see if I can find a local framer that could modify the stretcher system with something like what you just described.

Thanks for the verification that other designs that deal better with dry conditions are out there.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I've had lots of canvas wraps made, but never any 40x60, so I cant speak of those sizes. We've yet to have one stretch or warp, but we also live in a very humid climate.

I'll keep my eye out on them now that you've brought up this topic

BretEdge

Adventurer
I've got 24 canvas wraps hanging in my gallery in Moab ranging in size from 16"x24" to 32"x48" and none of them have exhibited the problem you referenced. I've sold dozens of 32"x48" canvas wraps to clients around the world, including quite a few right here in Moab, and none of them have been returned for this or any other problem. I suggest it may be a problem with Bay Photo's materials or techniques.

I use Artistic Photo Canvas in Florida for all of my canvas wraps. I've been very pleased with the print quality, customer service and quality of the finished product. You might give them a shot before you give up on canvas wraps altogether. Good luck to you!

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Thanks Bret. If I need canvas wraps again I may try your suggested source.

Bay Photo did the right thing and replaced the large 40X60 wraps with 40X60 metal prints. Bay Photo does a great job with metal prints and the client was freaked out on how good they looked.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Thanks Bret. If I need canvas wraps again I may try your suggested source.

Bay Photo did the right thing and replaced the large 40X60 wraps with 40X60 metal prints. Bay Photo does a great job with metal prints and the client was freaked out on how good they looked.

I've heard really good things about Bay Photo's metal prints but I've never seen one in person. One of these days I need to order a couple to test out in my gallery. It's good to know they took care of you. Seems too many companies these days couldn't care less about their customers.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Bret, I browsed your website. Very nice collection of the outstanding work you have done. Your style of landscape photography would really pop on metal prints. Bay Photo offers a sample pack of the finish options if you get interested.

Welcome to the EXPO forum. There are several great photographers in this community. I hope you stick around and share your work and opinions with us.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Thank you for the nice comment, Brad. I'm definitely sticking around. I'm a professional photographer, owner of an FJ Cruiser and a Triumph Tiger 800 XC, both of which get used on a regular basis. Yeah, I think I'm here for the long haul! Really looking forward to getting know some folks on the forum and learning from the wealth of knowledge here.

swanyo

Observer
You could also try spraying lightly the backside of the canvas with water. Sometimes that is enough to tighten up the canvas when it drys again.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
You could also try spraying lightly the backside of the canvas with water. Sometimes that is enough to tighten up the canvas when it drys again.

Thanks for the suggestion Scott. We didn't have to return these last two so I plan to swing by and pick them up on my way back from Colorado. I'll see what I can do with them once I get them home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior