Land Rover LR4 wheel size

TOUGE

As many here are the same, I don't believe lift rods are useful.

I use a Gaptool when needed to give it an extra bit of lift but run at stock land rover heights 99% of the time.

TOUGE

Negatives,
-More wear on the suspension components as it's not designed to be at the height for great distances/speeds
-Way more wear on your drive shafts as they are at a more extreme angles going much higher speeds, especially if you use extended mode off road
-More risk of roll over at higher speeds
-More tyre wear as you can't get the wheel alignment prefect at that height
-If you have a rack you can't go into under ground car parks or anywhere low(well in LA I use access mode quite a bit because a lot of car parks are less than 7')
-Worse ride quality as the airbag a much fuller which means firmer ride
-You pretty much get rid off all your wheel droop when going into extended mode not good for cross axle situations when off road as you will lift a wheel very quickly, yes Terrain Response is amazing and will lock the wheel up but you get more traction with 4 wheels on the ground compared to 3

there is probably more but I just can't think it them right now.

Positives,
-It looks cool

Lemagus

Old thread but I’ll just throw in that I have about 20k miles on my 2012 LR4 with LR3 wheels and spacers. Running two different sets of 265/65 tires (K02 and Duelers). I had the frame goes shaved a bit to eliminate any rubbing.

Everything has been good so far - no excessive wear. The biggest issue has been some alignment and balancing issues with the bigger and heavier tires and a resultant slight wheel shake at high speed on certain road types. Have crossed the USA a couple of times so lots of highway time with this set-up.

With the 18” wheel options now available for the LR4, I likely would not have gone the spacer route, but it’s a very workable set-up as is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior