Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Yeah, it looks easy but everyone knows you got skillz @jscherb !!!

No really, it's not too hard to convert factory soft top sides to roll up - it's just a straight cut, adding a zipper, and adding a flap with a bit of velcro to cover the zipper (most zippers aren't waterproof). I detailed the process in a series of posts back when I did it: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/barn-door-for-jk-factory-hardtops.127687/post-1985355. I did the mod in the fall after I took the soft top off so I didn't actually test them until the spring: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/barn-door-for-jk-factory-hardtops.127687/post-2084460. I can provide more detail if anyone wants to try this mod themselves and needs more info.

Anyone who can sew a straight seam on a sewing machine should be able to do the mod. I can provide more detail if anyone wants to try this mod themselves and needs more info.

Maybe the hardest part is finding some scrap soft top fabric to make the flap. I've found used/damaged soft tops on Craigslist several times over the years to use for mods like this, I don't think I ever paid more than $50 for one. I sewed a winch cover out of a scrap soft top too, it's useful fabric to have for other projects.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Poor man's trail cam system? This item was in the April issue of Land Rover Monthly:

ClipOnVideoScreen1(1).jpg

That item can be found on eBay:

ClipOnVideoScreen2.jpg

Cameras aren't very expensive, here's a license plate cam from eBay:

ClipOnVideoScreen2a.jpg

If one wanted to have multiple cameras, for example one with watches each front tire (see the videos below for why that's a good idea), one could use something like this inexpensive video switcher from eBay - the audio switching capabilities of this unit is not needed, but something like this on the dash would do a good job of switching cameras:

ClipOnVideoScreen2c.jpg

Here's an example of why multiple cameras are a good idea. On this trail I came across section where I had to squeeze between a boulder on the right and a cliff on the left (about 20 seconds into the video). By switching between the two front tire cameras I was able to navigate between the boulder and the dropoff:

Here's another example, you couldn't do this with the simple switcher above but in this ascent out of Devil's Puncbowl near Crested Butte, Colorado, I've got both front tire cameras in a split screen view - it's a narrow shelf trail and one needs to continually check closeness to the wall at right and to the dropoff at left.

The videos above were taken using the TrailVision camera system in my LJ. I designed that system some years ago for Retrofit Offroad and it's been terrific for navigating tight trails without a spotter. But a simple system using the eBay parts shown above could be put together for less than $100 or so and could be just as useful.

GlennA

Adventurer
I have perused this thread front to back again. The "over the windshield " rack are intriguing. I've been thinking of building a rack for my solar panels that will extend out over the windshield on my Sprinter. I'm concerned about the lift created. Anyone with experience please enlighten me.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I have perused this thread front to back again. The "over the windshield " rack are intriguing. I've been thinking of building a rack for my solar panels that will extend out over the windshield on my Sprinter. I'm concerned about the lift created. Anyone with experience please enlighten me.
Does the solar panel need to be in use all the time? I've posted this before but I've arranged my panel to slide out from under the rack. Do you have room under your rack to fit the panel? This configuration works great at high interstate speeds (80mph across the Great Plains states), and since the systems in the vehicle are kept charged by the alternator when the Jeep is running the solar panel only gets pulled out while parked.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Actually I don't need the "rack" part, but using your idea, I could stack the panels to double my capacity without increasing the footprint.
That's a great idea - one of the panels could slide out while the other one stays fixed. When you need more capacity, slide one out. I like it.

GlennA

Adventurer
I posted a link in "Power Systems " to a potentially available commercial solar panel stacking system. Some good ideas and discussion.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Poor man's trail cam system? This item was in the April issue of Land Rover Monthly:

That item can be found on eBay:

Cameras aren't very expensive, here's a license plate cam from eBay:

If one wanted to have multiple cameras, for example one with watches each front tire (see the videos below for why that's a good idea), one could use something like this inexpensive video switcher from eBay - the audio switching capabilities of this unit is not needed, but something like this on the dash would do a good job of switching cameras:

Here's an example of why multiple cameras are a good idea. On this trail I came across section where I had to squeeze between a boulder on the right and a cliff on the left (about 20 seconds into the video). By switching between the two front tire cameras I was able to navigate between the boulder and the dropoff:

Here's another example, you couldn't do this with the simple switcher above but in this ascent out of Devil's Puncbowl near Crested Butte, Colorado, I've got both front tire cameras in a split screen view - it's a narrow shelf trail and one needs to continually check closeness to the wall at right and to the dropoff at left.

The videos above were taken using the TrailVision camera system in my LJ. I designed that system some years ago for Retrofit Offroad and it's been terrific for navigating tight trails without a spotter. But a simple system using the eBay parts shown above could be put together for less than $100 or so and could be just as useful.

I love the idea of fitting up a front camera on my JK but am finding it challenging to work with the current factory screen set-up. My only thought is splicing a switch/line to a front camera from the back camera wiring. Then, when in reverse, toggle the switch to see both views.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I love the idea of fitting up a front camera on my JK but am finding it challenging to work with the current factory screen set-up. My only thought is splicing a switch/line to a front camera from the back camera wiring. Then, when in reverse, toggle the switch to see both views.
Two comments:

- I don't know anything about it other than what's in this link: http://www.northridgenation.com/front-and-rear-camera-in-your-jk-brand-motion/ but apparently a company called BrandMotion sells a kit to enable a front camera with the stock JK screen.

- I've got a single front cam mounted above my license plate and as I've shown in the videos and a camera focused on each front tire and I have to report that the license plate cam adds almost no value on the trail. With the TrailVision system I can instantly switch between any of those 3 cameras and I pretty much never use the center camera - the cameras focused on the tires are extremely valuable when negotiating obstacles on the trail but the center camera I only use when cresting a rise that I can't see over when I get to the top. So just a caution - you may spend a lot of time and trouble implementing a single front cam only to find that its view doesn't really add that much value on the trail.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This post isn't a Land Rover Idea for a Jeep, but I'll report on it anyway - I was in Manhattan today and spotted this well-worn Series Land Rover.

NYC72Series1.png

My wife snapped this photo, I was reading the registration sticker to see what year it was. '72.

NYC72Series2.png

Not something you see every day in the U.S., and especially not in Manhattan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online