Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This photo was in a recent issue of Land Rover Monthly. The seat covers are from Melvill & Moon and the console cover was made by the wife of the Land Rover's owner - she sewed the console cover out of the fabric that came from an old Melvill & Moon seat cover.

ConsoleCaddy.jpg

A console cover with pockets looks like it might be useful so I took a look at the center console compartment in my JKU to see if something similar could be made. My JKU has an AC power outlet on the front of the console compartment and power window switches on the back so a cover with pockets like the one above would get in the way. Probably this will have to be a Land Rover idea that isn't for a Jeep. Could do a padded top for the lid of the Jeep console, but pockets on the front or back don't look practical.

Correus

Adventurer
This photo was in a recent issue of Land Rover Monthly. The seat covers are from Melvill & Moon and the console cover was made by the wife of the Land Rover's owner - she sewed the console cover out of the fabric that came from an old Melvill & Moon seat cover.

ConsoleCaddy.jpg

A console cover with pockets looks like it might be useful so I took a look at the center console compartment in my JKU to see if something similar could be made. My JKU has an AC power outlet on the front of the console compartment and power window switches on the back so a cover with pockets like the one above would get in the way. Probably this will have to be a Land Rover idea that isn't for a Jeep. Could do a padded top for the lid of the Jeep console, but pockets on the front or back don't look practical.

I know the guy that owns this one. BTW - Grover is in the current issue of LRM.

Winterhawk

I always liked the side steps and was thinking of incorporating them into my sliders. As a bonus I'd like them easily removable in situations where they could possibly get in the way.
d6c4ee14c38d931f977f315bf6a5139d.jpg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
As a bonus I'd like them easily removable in situations where they could possibly get in the way.
On my Kodiak the 1st step is 20+" above the ground, so for normal street driving an 'extra step' is helpful. I was able to make it so it pivots up flush when off-roading so no need to be removed.
(Photo during 'build' so end caps and lock/latch that holds it in either position are not shown)

Kodiak-step.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
From the June issue of Land Rover owner:

MultiTool.jpg

I have a similar but slightly larger multi tool; mine also includes pliers. Mine came with a nice pouch with a MOLLE-type strap on the back but I wanted to hang it on the roll bar so I added straps to secure it to the roll bar: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...factory-hardtops.127687/page-330#post-2980719

I've done similar things with other tools, like this machete from Harbor Freight: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...factory-hardtops.127687/page-335#post-3008668

And this hatchet, although the hatchet didn't come with a case so I had to make one: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...factory-hardtops.127687/page-338#post-3023339

jscherb

Expedition Leader
An idea from the August issue of Land Rover Owner that could apply to a current project of mine...

DomesticDoorChain.jpg

I've been working on a trailer topper based on my Safari Cab hardtop design:

FirstRun4.jpg

Like the Safari Cab on the LJ, it's got a barn door on the rear:

SafariCamperBarnDoor.jpg

But unlike the Jeep, the rear door needs to be openable from the inside. I added a pull handle on the tailgate to unlatch the tailgate so the rear barn door can be opened from inside.

I didn't add a provision for unlocking the rear door from inside. An inside lock/unlock rod also wouldn't be difficult to add, but I don't think that's necessary for this camper so that's why I didn't add one. But maybe I should add the door chain Vicky wrote about.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Exmoor recently did an Instagram post about a line of Land Rover clothing and bags. I checked the Exmoor site and found nothing but with a little more searching I found out that what they posted about was offered by Red Canoe Brands: https://redcanoebrands.com/product-category/landrover/. This caught my eye:

RedCanoeLRBackpack.jpg

I wondered what would be in a Field Service Kit but it turns out it's only an ordinary backpack with some Land Rover graphics on it.

RedCanoeLR.jpg

A little photo editing... a Jeep "Field Service Kit"?

RedCanoeJeepBackpacks.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Exmoor recently did an Instagram post about a line of Land Rover clothing and bags. I checked the Exmoor site and found nothing but with a little more searching I found out that what they posted about was offered by Red Canoe Brands: https://redcanoebrands.com/product-category/landrover/. This caught my eye:

RedCanoeLRBackpack.jpg

I wondered what would be in a Field Service Kit but it turns out it's only an ordinary backpack with some Land Rover graphics on it.

RedCanoeLR.jpg

A little photo editing... a Jeep "Field Service Kit"?

RedCanoeJeepBackpacks.jpg
Now that I think about it, I did design and sew one bag that I suppose could be called a Field Service Kit :) But I prefer to call it a Tactical Tool Kit. It's got a Jeep emblem on it, although the emblem is just held on with Velcro so the emblem isn't a permanent part of the bag...

TacticalToolBag.jpg

It opens up to reveal several "pages" of tools.

TacticalToolBagOpen1.jpg

TacticalToolBagOpen2.jpg

TacticalToolBagOpen3.jpg

It's pretty handy. And it hangs on the seat back:

TacticalGearBagProto1f.jpg

Last edited:

Correus

Adventurer
Vintage-ish military bags make great storage containers and are fairly cheap. The last two pics are of Polish bread bags I got recently - 4 for $10, but shipping was $10. They don't look it, but they are very heavy duty and will work great for various items.

20171027_183841.png

20190505_233433.jpg

20190505_233415.jpg

20220724_105828.jpg

20220724_105909.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another item of personal kit from the August issue of Land Rover Owner:

HipFlask2.jpg

I got two of them a few years ago from Coleman's Military Surplus, they were $9.95 at the time.

Fits perfectly in the small pocket on my door:

HipFlask3.png

Also fits nicely in a military surplus grenade pouch:

HipFlask4.png

A search on "jerry can hip flask" (https://www.google.com/search?q=jerry+can+hip+flask) turns up lots of places to get them in the U.S., including Amazon for $11.54:

Do not drink and drive, either on the road or on the trail.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This shower bag was featured in the July issue of Land Rover Owner:

SolarShower.jpg

Similar items are available here. This one is from Coughlans:

CoughlansShower.jpg

This was in the April 2019 issue of Land Rover Owner; it looked much more substantial than the ones above so I bought one:

SwissWaterBladder_zpsquwbewhp.jpg

I added a stick-on temperature gauge I found on eBay:

Thermometer.jpg

It worked well and the sun heated it nicely but I wanted more water pressure than gravity could provide, so I built a pump. It plugs into the lighter outlet in the Jeep and it has quick disconnect fittings on the hose for quick setup. I named it the Power Shower and I designed a decal and cut it on my Cricut machine:

PowerShowerUnit.jpg

The original piece from the magazine says the shower bag would be perfect for use with the Outwell Comfort Station:

ComfortStation.jpg

My solution to privacy while showering... I made an enclosure that also mounts to my rack:

Deployed1.jpg

And all of this started because I saw the Swiss Army surplus water bladder in a Land Rover magazine.

pith helmet

I had the bag but was just using it as it was until I saw your posts on it.

I also got a pack of those thermometer strips. I have those stuck all over the place now, too. ?

Attachments

• 8CF65CD4-678B-455F-A306-0344FB674A4A.jpeg
    8CF65CD4-678B-455F-A306-0344FB674A4A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I had the bag but was just using it as it was until I saw your posts on it.

I also got a pack of those thermometer strips. I have those stuck all over the place now, too. ?
Nicely done! Where did you get the shower nozzle, it looks better than the one I used.

pith helmet

Nicely done! Where did you get the shower nozzle, it looks better than the one I used.
Thanks for the ideas. I got it at my local mom and pop hardware. It’s a nozzle for a garden hose, fairly well made for $10 or so.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94