Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

1000arms

... If people don't find this thread interesting and possibly useful, I'll be more than happy to stop posting ideas here, just let me know. But with 124,000 views so far as I write this, I suspect people are finding it at least interesting if not actually useful as they plan mods for their Jeeps.
Please keep posting! :)

Correus

Adventurer
No one suggested you stop posting and even I said I found it interesting.

The whole "barn door" thing must be an Americanism (like the term "breakfast" is for the radiator bulkhead for the Series) or a Defender/Disco thing. Been asking around about it, no one I've spoken to has ever heard of the term being associated with Rovers, especially the old ones. Did an internet search, mainly popped up when it came to D1s and D2s and a few ties with Defenders. Interesting.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I get two different Land Rover magazines each month and there's always something in at least one of them that could apply to a Jeep, so I'll keep the ideas coming.

BTW I'm working on a camper top for a Jeep-tub trailer right now and I plan to have a Land Rover Dormobile-style pop-top on it; I'll also post photo from that project as it progresses.

1000arms

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Although on a pickup truck bed, you might find the following interesting:

I have the ability to build molds and fiberglass components like that, but I've already got all the fiberglass parts I need to make the camper - I'll be using a set of panels from the Wrangler Safari Cab hardtop. My Safari Cab hardtop:

LJ200K2.jpg

A set of panels out of the same molds, configured for a Jeep-tub camper top:

CamperKit1.jpg

One benefit of using these panels is that once I design and build the pop-up mechanism and canvas, the same basic design and parts could be used to build a Dormobile-style pop-top for a Wrangler.

1000arms

I have the ability to build molds and fiberglass components like that, but I've already got all the fiberglass parts I need to make the camper - I'll be using a set of panels from the Wrangler Safari Cab hardtop. My Safari Cab hardtop:

LJ200K2.jpg

A set of panels out of the same molds, configured for a Jeep-tub camper top:

CamperKit1.jpg

One benefit of using these panels is that once I design and build the pop-up mechanism and canvas, the same basic design and parts could be used to build a Dormobile-style pop-top for a Wrangler.
Looks good. The constant height centerline is why I posted the link, but one could apply the concept to a "truck cap mated to the roof of a Jeep", although it would make for a tall and unusual Jeep. :)

I might not want to remove a bulbous Jeep hardtop like that by myself, at least not without a mechanical assist. :cool:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One of my other interests is railroads, full scale and model. I came across this HO scale Land Rover 109 on eBay and managed to buy it for $5.00, it arrived today.

ROCO109.jpg

What I didn't expect was the Tropical Roof panel. Not uncommon on Land Rovers used on very hot areas, they are said to reduce interior temperatures. I posted about Tropical Roofs several times in this thread, here are a few places:

This one was cut and hinged to form a pop-up: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/land-rover-ideas-for-jeeps.218029/page-54#post-2925898 and here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/land-rover-ideas-for-jeeps.218029/page-12#post-2836280

I've never seen a Tropical Roof on a Jeep; might be a good idea to reduce interior heat. Some thoughts on how to make a mold for a tropical roof for a Jeep: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/land-rover-ideas-for-jeeps.218029/page-24#post-2852080

F800

The dozens of small mods listed in this thread are what I think people might be interested in doing to their Jeeps. This thread is more about those things than about Alpine windows and rear "barn doors". But some Jeeps do have those things too ;).

SafariAtDusk_zpsxcagwamw.jpg

DonnyFinal1_zpsjablnjkj.jpg

If people don't find this thread interesting and possibly useful, I'll be more than happy to stop posting ideas here, just let me know. But with 124,000 views so far as I write this, I suspect people are finding it at least interesting if not actually useful as they plan mods for their Jeeps.

Absolutely please keep posting. Ghost viewer here but always come back and feel inspired by your posts. I also follow your YouTube. Thanks for sharing so many great ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
First Overland

I've posted a bit before about the "First Overland" trip in two Land Rovers from London to Singapore. Here's a post from earlier in this thread: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/land-rover-ideas-for-jeeps.218029/page-21#post-2847138

A few videos about the First Overland expedition:

There's an excellent book about the journey, I highly recommend it:

FirstOverlandBook.jpg

The book has been in print for many years and copies are available starting at about $11.00.

Maybe that trip was a Land Rover idea for Jeeps because a few years later two English Colonial Police officers made the reverse trip in a war-surplus Willys Jeep. They also wrote a book about it:

FourWheelsFrontiersBook.jpg

This book is a bit harder to find because it's been out of print for a long time and copies typically retail for over $100 but I managed to score a copy the other day on eBay for twenty bucks. Having read the Land Rover version of the expedition, I'm looking forward to reading about the Jeep version of the trip.

Here's a scan from the Jeep book. Check the post I linked to above, the Land Rover expedition took a very similar photo. Actually taking photos of vehicles driving alongside the Darjeeling train is pretty common, there's more info and photos I took on my expedition in that post.

Darjeeling4Wheels.jpg

BTW I wasn't in either a Jeep or a Land Rover when I did a trip to Darjeeling, I was in a Mahindra. We took the Mahindra up to Kurseong so I could take photos of the train along the way and then rode the train from there to Darjeeling. After spending a few days in Darjeeling we took the Mahindra all the way down the line to the plains of West Bengal, stopping to take railroad photos along the way. The goal of the trip was to write an article for a magazine and get great photos, which is why I didn't ride the train all the way - much easier to get great train photos when you're not on the train.

Last edited:

Correus

Adventurer
Tim Slessor and I are email buddies. Even got to take a quick jaunt in Oxford back in January '21, you can barely see me behind the well in the attached pic. His grandson and others recreated the trip back in 2019, but in reverse order.

Resized_20200921_190121.jpeg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Tim Slessor and I are email buddies. Even got to take a quick jaunt in Oxford back in January '21, you can barely see me behind the well in the attached pic. His grandson and others recreated the trip back in 2019, but in reverse order.

View attachment 724926
You probably know this, but this fall a book will be coming out about the reverse "Last Overland" trip:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=last+o...fix=last+overland+book,aps,175&ref=nb_sb_noss
Tim Slessor write a foreward for the book.

And here's a video about that expedition:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles