Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This is from another article in the June issue of Land Rover Owner; the article was entitled "My World-Wide Web" but a more accurate title might be "My Headache Web" - the idea behind this net is to keep cargo from hitting the driver or passenger if it moves around. The author says the net is "in the event of carrying too much speed and lurching over a desert dune or even being involved in an accident, I don't want to be clobbered on the back of the head by a missile in the shape of an airborne box of spares or a Hi-Lift jack that has broken free." He also said a key design criteria was that "the net should be easily removable with quick release lock 'n' load fasteners that click into securing rails." A few photos from the article:

HeadacheNet1.jpg

HeadacheNet2.jpg

The cargo rails that the net secures to make the net adjustable for different loads, which is a nice feature, and as he said, it's quick and easy to remove the net.

He says he bought the net for 185 pounds (about $260), but web nets like that are easy to make, all you need is a stapler and a sewing machine and only very basic sewing skills. Part of the reason I posted this was to show how webbing nets like this can easily be made at home:

1. Figure out how much webbing you need and acquire it. There are lots of sources on eBay for webbing of various widths and colors. I recommend polyester for the best combination of strength and UV resistance. Polypropylene is less expensive but much less UV resistant; nylon is stronger but also less UV resistant.

2. Lay out the net on the floor and use an ordinary office stapler to join the webbing at all places where it crosses.

3. Sew all the cross points and when the sewing is done, remove the staples. Any sewing machine should be able to handle sewing through two thicknesses of ordinary polyester webbing, and you don't have to be an expert at sewing - use a heavy black polyester thread and it will blend in with the webbing so your stitching doesn't have to be pretty.

I've done a number of webbing nets this way, here's one I did not too long ago:

TrashHopperLJ5Molle1_zpsvdqkk52y.jpg

I built the net as part of my rear cargo/trash bag project:

TrashHopperBlackLJ2_zpswgwyn3fh.jpg

I didn't really need the full net for this application but the net makes the space on the spare more useful because it can hold Molle pouches too. Molle pouches on the spare, at least up here in the northeast, are only a good idea on nice days since most Molle pouches are not weatherproof, but they could be useful on trail days for recovery gear or other necessary supplies.

TrashHopperLJ5Molle2_zpsht9nlbrv.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This Series Land Rover has a tropical roof and the tropical roof has been cut and hinged to provide enough headroom to stand up inside.

PopRoof.jpg

A topical roof for a Wrangler could be made from the roof of a second hardtop. Broken JK/JKU hardtops are fairly common and not too expensive. A second skin like that could also be turned into a pop-top like the Land Rover above.

Also interesting in this Land Rover is the use of a foot locker as a storage cabinet inside.

wandererr

Adventurer
How did I miss this thread before?

I was so tempted to hit reply on quite a few posts as i was reading through but I figured I'll take it all in before I offer my two cents.

For starters: one of the big differences between US based expeditions and Africa, Himalayas and the like is the speed traveled and distances. In US quite often you at speeds of 65-80 mph to get to the start of your trail. For me to go to the Alaska part of the trip I'd drive for days (I'm in SoCal). Granted I'd probably load the jeep on a train and fly to pick it up in AK and do my travels there (limited vacation) but if I had the time and I'd make the drive, part of my packing includes planning for a semi aerodynamic brick ;)

Regarding stuff hanging off the sides: I don't do any rockcrawling with my JKU but I do end up with it from time to time in areas that are a tight fit and as a principle i want to remove the risk of snags and damage from such. I think back to the time when I had my CB mount on the XJ hidden behind between the taillight and the body and while it only stuck out 3/4" I did find a pesky enough rock that jumped out, snagged it, removed it from my body along with the taillight ;)

Overhead loading - keeps coming up quite often. I think that the issue here is balance and stability at speed. I would load the jeep differently for a long drive up vs for a long overland trip.

I have a rack mounted storage cargo box that serves me well both on the JKU and the Subaru, but I keep it loaded pretty light (mainly with items that take up space and don't weigh much). I added a small cargo rack next to it to be able to throw up there items that might be 'dirty' and I don't want to stick inside the jeep, but having driven a variety of lifted vehicles a slinky jeep with lots of weight on top will handle poorly and is not a good idea at highway speeds.

I wish that the JKU had more room inside - I like the designed that bulge out a bit and offer sleeping platform inside but keep most weight towards the bottom.

One of the main differences between rovers and JKs is the width - the rovers are wider then the JKs

Reactions: mog

jscherb

Expedition Leader
...For me to go to the Alaska part of the trip I'd drive for days (I'm in SoCal). Granted I'd probably load the jeep on a train and fly to pick it up in AK and do my travels there (limited vacation) but if I had the time and I'd make the drive, ...
If you have the time, it's definitely worth the drive. Lots to see along the way, we really enjoyed the Alaska Highway through Canada.

This was my Alaska trip, from upstate NY to Deadhorse, AK and back, a bit over 9,000 miles in my LJ...

TripMap_zps2e85ca40.jpg

wandererr

Adventurer
If you have the time, it's definitely worth the drive. Lots to see along the way, we really enjoyed the Alaska Highway through Canada.

This was my Alaska trip, from upstate NY to Deadhorse, AK and back, a bit over 9,000 miles in my LJ...

TripMap_zps2e85ca40.jpg
Already did the trip from SoCal almost all the way up to the Canadian border. You're right - its an amazing trip. Spent some tome in BC in the past as well.

Work factor and a 7yo will prevent me from taking a looking trip to do it all at once :)

wandererr

Adventurer
Getting back to the 'nice to haves' - for years i was after the ability open the side windows in the back of the JKU to get to the storage shelf that i have there in the back without having to open the rear. You have addressed that pretty well with a variety options though i wish there was just a window swap out there that would have a lift up window without having to do a lot of hacking.

I kept looking for a busted up hard top to have just the window section to play with some things (have some ideas as to how to make it work but wanted to do some prototyping and testing first) but it looks like I'll have the UM slider windows. They will address some of my needs as the slider will have a smaller opening then a lift up window would have but at least it's getting there.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Getting back to the 'nice to haves' - for years i was after the ability open the side windows in the back of the JKU to get to the storage shelf that i have there in the back without having to open the rear. You have addressed that pretty well with a variety options though i wish there was just a window swap out there that would have a lift up window without having to do a lot of hacking.

I kept looking for a busted up hard top to have just the window section to play with some things (have some ideas as to how to make it work but wanted to do some prototyping and testing first) but it looks like I'll have the UM slider windows. They will address some of my needs as the slider will have a smaller opening then a lift up window would have but at least it's getting there.
I had swing-up windows and cargo hatches for factory hardtops pretty much ready to go into production just before the pandemic happened; the pandemic reduced capacity at the RV window company that was going to manufacture them to the point where they couldn't get them into production while at reduced pandemic capacity. I don't know the current status, Retrofit Offroad had signed up to market them but I haven't heard from them in a long time.

The video shows a 2dr version but a 4dr version was also planned; here's an early prototype along with the optional Molle panel for the inside:

CargoCompartmentPanelTest1o_zpsa6ibcpou.jpg

wandererr

Adventurer
To me this is the bees knees ;) As my main need to use the side "hatches" is when I tow the trailer, this would be perfect! Any chance you can find out from them what's the plan? I might change my Ursa Minor slider windows to blanks and order these to fit them in there.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
To me this is the bees knees ;) As my main need to use the side "hatches" is when I tow the trailer, this would be perfect! Any chance you can find out from them what's the plan? I might change my Ursa Minor slider windows to blanks and order these to fit them in there.
If I ask, it's just the designer wondering if the product will ever see the light of day. If a potential customer asks, that might have more impact because it's at least some indication of demand. The Retrofit Offroad web site has a "contact us" link at the top - let us know what they say ;).

wandererr

Adventurer
If I ask, it's just the designer wondering if the product will ever see the light of day. If a potential customer asks, that might have more impact because it's at least some indication of demand. The Retrofit Offroad web site has a "contact us" link at the top - let us know what they say ;).
gotta reach out to them

<edit> message sent :)

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A special edition Discovery was offered some yeara ago in Italy and it included a picnic basket:

PicnicBasket.jpg

If Jeep wants to include a picnic bag with some special edition Wrangler, I've got one for them, I designed and sewed this one two weeks ago. It hangs on the back of the seat:

CoolBagDone4.jpg

Has a compartment for cutlery, plates, napkins and condiments, and a separate cold compartment:

CoolBagDone2.jpg

For parking the Jeep along the trail and doing a short hike to a great overlook for lunch, it has backpack straps and shoulder straps:

CoolBagDone3.jpg

CoolBagDone1.jpg

I don't expect Jeep to be calling me anytime soon about my picnic bag so I'll just use this one for my own adventures :)

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
A special edition Discovery was offered some yeara ago in Italy and it included a picnic basket:

PicnicBasket.jpg

If Jeep wants to include a picnic bag with some special edition Wrangler, I've got one for them, I designed and sewed this one two weeks ago. It hangs on the back of the seat:

CoolBagDone4.jpg

Has a compartment for cutlery, plates, napkins and condiments, and a separate cold compartment:

CoolBagDone2.jpg

For parking the Jeep along the trail and doing a short hike to a great overlook for lunch, it has backpack straps and shoulder straps:

CoolBagDone3.jpg

CoolBagDone1.jpg

I don't expect Jeep to be calling me anytime soon about my picnic bag so I'll just use this one for my own adventures :)
Jscherb, I love that picnic bag! I'd totally add one of those in that exact color scheme to my King Ranch F150, and my CJ5 Jeep :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior