Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This kitchen was recently featured in one of the LR magazines:

TuffTrekKitchen.jpg

It's not much of a kitchen really, mostly it's just a few drawers, but I wasn't so interested in the kitchen anyway but I did find the foam drawer inserts interesting so I researched those. The foam is readily available from a bunch of sources, here's one: https://www.toolfoamsupply.com/custom-foam-tool-kits. I also found a video on youtube explaining how to cut the foam to form-fit things:

The video is pretty long (they talk too much :)), but it does give a good idea of how to make drawer inserts like these.

Foam could be useful to keep things secure in an overland/camping Jeep.

The link to the kitchen, if anyone is interested: https://tuff-trek.com/product/hectic-leisure-portable-camp-kitchen/

pith helmet

It seems this idea has been used before...

RearAwning1.jpg

I clipped this small section of the article text:

RearAwning1a.jpg

I did a little searching and found this photo of the pull-out support for the awning.

CarawagonSearleAwningSupport.jpg

Instead of using a tarp, here's something for you to consider for making your side walls:

CanopyWallSet_zpsdr9yy7gs.jpg

I used them when I made the changing room for my roof top tent:

RTTAnnex1.jpg

Th magazine photos are of a Searle Carawagon conversion, which unlike the other Carawagons, doesn't have a pop-top roof - there's a sleeping platform inside.

CarawagonSearleLROSpring14.jpg

Also notice the roller blinds on the window - also a feature of the Carawagon.
Thanks for the pics and the link. Would be nice to have a zipper...I had planned for 3 walls and some magnets to hold it to the Jeep on the edges but this is good.
I had not seen this idea before but knew that it had to have been done. Thanks!

Jurfie

Adventurer
It's not much of a kitchen really, mostly it's just a few drawers, but I wasn't so interested in the kitchen anyway but I did find the foam drawer inserts interesting so I researched those. The foam is readily available from a bunch of sources, here's one: https://www.toolfoamsupply.com/custom-foam-tool-kits. I also found a video on youtube explaining how to cut the foam to form-fit things:

The video is pretty long (they talk too much :)), but it does give a good idea of how to make drawer inserts like these.

Foam could be useful to keep things secure in an overland/camping Jeep.

Thanks for that; I’ve been wanting to do that for my garage toolbox, and have thought how nice it could be for gear storage in a Jeep (I hate rattling gear while driving). I knew these products were out there, but your post has encouraged me to get off my tookus and organize my toolbox, at least!

bitbckt

Wrench rolls accomplish much the same thing for utensils, and don’t consume so much extra space.

The “everything in its place“ appearance is satisfying, I’ll admit. I use shadow boards in my shop for the same reason.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Wrench rolls accomplish much the same thing for utensils, and don’t consume so much extra space.

The “everything in its place“ appearance is satisfying, I’ll admit. I use shadow boards in my shop for the same reason.
Speaking of rolls... I use Overland Outfitters Tool Rolls and Cutlery Keepers and keep them in Overland Outfitters Roll bag bags, so they don't take up much space at all.

ToolRoll3_zpsatj66hyn.jpg

RollBagCutleryKeeper_zpsyhkewtnd.jpg

And I store each one in its own roll bag, they easily mount in out of the way places on the roll bar.

JKURear_zps7m7ifpox.jpg

In use the Cutlery Keeper can hang on my hardtop window using suction cups.

1595679959034-png.600746

BTW I also use a roll bag to store my tow strap:

RollBagTowStrap_zpsw3cwrshx.jpg

RainGoat

I’ve used something similar to this (but in blue) for a family of 4 for several years. It’s compact, easy to carry over to a table (or can actually stand vertically as an inverted cylinder) & cost me <$15

ODD - won’t accept an Amazon link - anyone know why?

13 Piece Stainless Steel Family Cutlery Picnic Utensil Set with Travel Case for Camping | Hiking | BBQs - Includes Forks | Spoons | Knifes | Chopstick, Plus Nylon Commuter Case

bf618d41083a6f2d692fb73357e2091f.jpg

Last edited:

krick3tt

Adventurer
I get most of my stuff (tool rolls, etc.) from Adventure Tools and their stuff is great, seem to last forever and is my best direction to recommend things for my vehicle and made in America, which is very important to me.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Been there, done that part 10.

There was a piece in the club news section of the March issue of Land Rover Owner International about the Great American Rover Rally in Moab, Utah, planned for September. Last year's event was cancelled due to the pandemic. This photo accompanied the story:

GreatAmericanRoverRally.jpg

It looks a bit like part of the the Spring Canyon trail, which winds around the edge of the canyon down to the Green River. I haven't done the Rover Rally, but I have done some of the canyon-edge trails at Moab. The photo above could be on any number of other trails other than Spring Canyon, though, the article didn't say. Some photos of my LJ along the Spring Canyon trail...

SpringCanyonLedgeRoad1_zpsj435mpvl.jpg

SpringCanyonLedgeRoad2_zpsbve8wxbr.jpg

SpringCanyonLedgeRoad4_zpsha2mv8wq.jpg

SpringCanyonLedge_zpsoemqwxsr.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've posted about the British fondness for boxes on roof racks a number of times in this thread and like the idea too I did a box for my rack a while back (https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/land-rover-ideas-for-jeeps.218029/page-37#post-2879135).

Here's one on a 2dr:

RoofBox2dr.jpg

Check out the huge rack overhanging the windshield on the 2dr and the gigantic cargo box on the rack of the 4dr in these photos:

RackBoxes.jpg

Even this custom Defender camper has a provision for aluminum boxes on the roof...

RoofBoxCamper.jpg

Racks over the windshield are pretty much non-existent in the Jeep world, and aluminum boxes on the rack are also very uncommon. I still wonder why both are not more popular over here?

pith helmet

I can only answer for myself with, long days on interstate highways. It looks cool, though.
The shaded windshield would be nice.

RainGoat

I've posted about the British fondness for boxes on roof racks a number of times in this thread and like the idea too I did a box for my rack.....aluminum boxes on the rack are also very uncommon. I still wonder why both are not more popular over here?
I love the Zarges boxes - it’s the price that puts me off. I get by with Plano boxes that cost me $20-35 & a Plano Weatherproof rifle case I got for $45. There’s no question the Zarges boxes are superior but the cost is exponential.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
What does everyone think of storage on the visors? A couple of items from the magazines:

VisorStorage.jpg

VisorStorage2.jpg

I've never had storage on the visors but was thinking of designing/sewing something to try it out.

RainGoat

I've never had storage on the visors but was thinking of designing/sewing something to try it out.
I’ve been thinking the same. Versions are plentiful & cheap on Amazon. The Grid Its are about the most expensive.
(Love those overhead storage slots in that pic)

Cocoon CPG10BK GRID-IT! Accessory Organizer - Medium 12" x 8" (Black) [Super annoying & inconvenient that this doesn’t take Amazon links]
Here’s another link:

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
I’m tall enough (and you are taller) that I find anything that moves the visor down lower bothers me.

Maybe it’s just me and I’d get used to it over time but.....

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I’m tall enough (and you are taller) that I find anything that moves the visor down lower bothers me.

Maybe it’s just me and I’d get used to it over time but.....

I agree. There's a couple of inches between the top of the visor and the bottom of the roof on the JKU, at least on my Safari Cab. Definitely wouldn't want anything on the bottom of the visor but maybe I'll design something for the top.

VisorSpace.jpg

I’ve been thinking the same. Versions are plentiful & cheap on Amazon. The Grid Its are about the most expensive.
(Love those overhead storage slots in that pic)

Cocoon CPG10BK GRID-IT! Accessory Organizer - Medium 12" x 8" (Black) [Super annoying & inconvenient that this doesn’t take Amazon links]
Here’s another link:

Cheap isn't tops on my requirements list for this. Quality, functionality, fit and styling come before that, which is why I'm thinking I'll design and sew something myself :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz