Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

JDaPP

Adventurer
I feel like the JKU roll/sports bar takes up a lot of space. When I look at Dan's ursa Minor with the roll bar modification compared to mine it looks like a executive suite vs a closet.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I feel like the JKU roll/sports bar takes up a lot of space. When I look at Dan's ursa Minor with the roll bar modification compared to mine it looks like a executive suite vs a closet.
I agree. I wish my ursa minor was like his. It’s a much better setup for extended travel.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I agree about the roll bars - they take up too much space. Makes it very difficult to campers, especially something like this soft top that expands into a camper...

PopOutCamper1_zpsjeij3xxj.jpg

PopOutCamper2_zpsriqfctsq.jpg

This would replace the hardtop or soft top on a Jeep. The front part (over the seats) would be basically the same as a stock soft top and the rear would have a frame with perhaps a slightly taller roof. The sides would unzip and expand outward and a sleeping platform would go across the Jeep resting on the top of the tub.

Back when I was designing the LJ/TJ Safari Cab hardtop, I sketched a similar concept that used the hard roof with soft sides that unzipped and popped out like those on many pop-up campers.

PopOutCamper_zpsi4qyczjr.jpg

And I also did some experimenting with swing-up hard side panels:

SwingUp7_zps9lum9s3z.jpg

But the rear down bars of the Wrangler's roll bar limit the width of the sleeping platform, so without roll bar mods this may not be a very practical idea on a Wrangler. Even on a 2dr JK and JL and the LJ, which have the widest rear windows, you don't end up with enough width for two people to sleep comfortably.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Earlier in the thread I did a few posts showing a mounting system for the side of the hardtop, these are a few photos from one of those posts:

GMBJerryCan1_zpsub7omvyb.jpg

I was thinking about the uses for something like that so I did some idea drawings. On the left are rails alone - I used bright aluminum for this illustration but black anodized would be less visible on the hardtop side. In the middle a Molle panel is mounted. On the right are two large cargo bags.

HardtopSideRails1a.jpg

Next are some fuel/water options - jerry cans and various Rotopax.

HardtopSideRailsFuel.jpg

And this next one is a hard shell cargo compartment with a swing down door/table (or it could swing up). The compartment could be several inches deep or deeper depending on what it was intended to hold. On the left there's a Molle panel inside so pouches could be kept out of the weather. In the middle is a tool board. And on the right a net is used to retain various cans and bottles.

HardtopSideRailsBox.jpg

The other day I posted a photo of an external compartment, it's the third photo in this post: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/land-rover-ideas-for-jeeps.218029/page-15#post-2839820

None of these would be difficult to construct, and the rails are an off-the-shelf item. This could do both the top and bottom rails on one side of a JKU: https://www.uscargocontrol.com/Airline-Track-48-Piece

The rails would be bolted in place (drilling in the hardtop required) but any of the cargo solutions shown above would attach to the rails when needed and when nothing is needed the windows are unobstructed.

This idea seems like it might be more useful and versatile than the products on the market that replace the windows with a fixed panel for mounting Rotopax containers. More different things could be mounted using it, it wouldn't require removing the window glass, and the window wouldn't be obscured during daily driving when you didn't need to have expedition gear mounted.

What do people think of the idea?

zgfiredude

I think it's a great idea! I can see applications for all different users.....I'd look at it for Rotopax water or fuel as needed. I'm sure others would be interested in the compartment approach. You could even make one compartment a "kitchen" with stove, propane, and utensils to be used on the fold down "table"! The big benefit here is that it can be removed easily when not needed.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I think it's a great idea! I can see applications for all different users.....I'd look at it for Rotopax water or fuel as needed. I'm sure others would be interested in the compartment approach. You could even make one compartment a "kitchen" with stove, propane, and utensils to be used on the fold down "table"! The big benefit here is that it can be removed easily when not needed.
I like the kitchen idea. Without giving it too much design thought, I drew a conversation starter:

RailKitchen.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
I like it. I like options. When not in use, only the rails are there. I like the two large cargo bags.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Update on the rack extension project...

With a minor modification I was able to use the same gutter mounts on the JKU.

ExtensionOnJKU.jpg

ExtensionOnJKU1.jpg

ExtensionOnJKU2.jpg

ExtensionOnJKU3.jpg

It's still raw metal so the final step is to put a finish on it. I'll start with epoxy primer and then a top coat of either paint or Raptor bed liner, haven't decided yet.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Polish MP Side Compartment

I've pointed out side compartment hatches in a military Land Rovers earlier in this thread but here's a different take on it. The ones I've pointed out before are a hatch to a compartment that's inside the vehicle, but this Polish Military Police Land Rover has an external compartment:

PolishSideCompartment.jpg

The article this photo was part of didn't say what the Polish MPs keep in that compartment.

Not sure if there's really room on the side of any Jeep for something like this.

Also in this photo notice the tall roofline. Looking through the back window you can see someone's back, this Land Rover has a "troop seating" configuration and the roofline provides the necessary headroom.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I posted a few Defender dimension a few days ago but I was wondering exactly how the overall size of the Defender compared to the JKU and LJ (with a Safari Cab hardtop) so I did this scale drawing.

LR110Compare.jpg

The numbers under each vehicle is the wheelbase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier