Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I like that setup. Is part of the current Kitchen kept in the file box as well?
Yes, the file box is my "coffee kit" - Aeropress, kettle, two double-walled travel mugs, a vacuum flask, and a tin of coffee.

IMG_20180519_162557.jpg

I've started keeping that separate from the main kitchen because I don't want to have to worry about moving that gear between the "big" kitchen and my smaller "solo" kitchen if I'm going out with or without family. It also means I can keep the coffee in the van and either brew a pot on my single burner inside (when it's really cold), or easily grab it when I'm up before dawn for photography, etc. Usually, I even remember to fill the flask with water the night before so I can brew up without having to run the water pump while the family sleeps.

Reactions: WVI

jgaz

Adventurer
@Herbie
I like the changes you've made to you chuck box setup. Love the dividers.

Maybe I missed it but did you post the size of the lighter box you are now using?
Im interested especially in the depth of the bottom and bottom and lid.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
@Herbie
Maybe I missed it but did you post the size of the lighter box you are now using?
Im interested especially in the depth of the bottom and bottom and lid.
I hadn't posted them:
Old toolbox: 13"w x 30"l x 10’’d 15lbs empty
New box: 14"w x 20"l 9.25"d (the depth splits evenly lid/bottom), 4lbs empty

Recommended books for Overlanding

skipdup

What a great thread! Maybe a silly question... How come no one seems to have made one out of extruded aluminum/8020? Maybe too heavy?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Probably too heavy and more sturdy than necessary. I was using an aluminum tool box laid on its side. I've switched to a thin, molded ABS case originally for an electronic instrument. Unless I needed it to double as a stepstool, 80/20 feels like way overkill.

rayra

Expedition Leader
What a great thread! Maybe a silly question... How come no one seems to have made one out of extruded aluminum/8020? Maybe too heavy?
lot of wasted volume in lego-strut. And it is massive overkill. Especially as the box you are framing gets smaller.

--

Wish I could find the plywood chuck cabinet I saw here on expo a couple years ago, roughly 2' cubed maybe a little larger. It came with a nesting stand. When you lifted the box and flipped the stand over the box nested snugly inside the stand's legs. The top was two full-width leaves that hinged up and out, the front half two doors that opened out to the sides to support the opened top shelves. The stove was in the bottom iirc.
I do a lot of woodworking and think that I'd like to try building a couple of these designs. Or see if there are improvements to be made.

Lots of people building drawer systems / kitchens out of 80/20.

Not too heavy if you stay with the 10 series (1”).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whitenoise

Adventurer
Good choice if it's vehicle-attached and not unloaded each time you want to use it. I got tired of handling even a 50lb plastic chuck box, so you may want to estimate fully-loaded weight first. Chuck boxes get used 3 or more times a day so usability comes first... IMHO.

If building with plywood look into the "skin & bones" construction technique that helps cut down on weight. https://www.blueskykitchen.com/
(no affiliation)

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Recommended books for Overlanding

999 Days Around Africa: The Road Chose Me
by Dan Grec, Dan Grec
From $19.95
Crossing the Congo: Over Land and Water in a Hard Place
by Mike Martin, Chloe Baker, Charlie Hatch-Barnwell
From $23.5
Road Fever (Vintage Departures)
by Tim Cahill
From $6.99
Cycling the Great Divide: From Canada to Mexico on North ...
by Michael McCoy, venture Cycling Association
From $9.99

LowKeyOverland

I use a Plano Sportsman 1919 box for all of my cooking stuff, which I bolted directly to my Gobi Stealth roof rack.

They're more than sturdy enough, but inexpensive (especially compared to Pelican-type boxes). Plus, they're water and dust-proof (at least after adding some weatherstripping around the lid just in case) and lockable in 4 places. I also use a couple of cardboard boxes inside for organization.

I have more details and the full inventory at https://lowkeyoverland.com/the-cooking-box/

Reactions: WVI

Redman333

Adventurer
I’ve started ordering extruded aluminum pieces for some other projects. I also ordered enough to have enough to build a chuck box with it also. I toyed with the idea of an extruded aluminum chick box before. Seems like it’s be a very versatile way to build one. If I get it built I’ll be sure to post it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk