Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

woodworkerfella

A few questions...

Great, unique design! I can see you are a fellow woodworker. It is not evident in your photos - what do you store in the deep section on the left side? And what do you store in the long thin shelf in the middle section?

Thanks,

Darren

Arckon

Great, unique design! I can see you are a fellow woodworker. It is not evident in your photos - what do you store in the deep section on the left side? And what do you store in the long thin shelf in the middle section?

Thanks,

Darren

Hi there, the chuck box is over. I made a timelapse of its construction and will post it later this week. To answer your question. Deep section on the left side is for this (it was designed for it). The section on top of it is for a fork, knife, tools drawer which fits perfectly. The section on the bottom is for the camping stove and the big section on the right is a general purpose storage area with a removable shelve.

When opened the box is 36in high. and the work area is 20in deep per 52in long.

Im quite please with the result. Ive added a couple of removable hooks that can attach to pre-drilled holes all around the box as well a some other cool features (integratd LED lighting and radio) Will post pictures later this week as well.

My only concern is about the finishing product i should use. I bough a small package of lifetime wood treatment and i do not like the result at all on plywood so i wont use it. Im really wondering what kind of product i should use to make my box at least a little resistant to nature/exterior. (its made of standard grade plywood).

Arckon

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
My only concern is about the finishing product i should use. I bough a small package of lifetime wood treatment and i do not like the result at all on plywood so i wont use it. Im really wondering what kind of product i should use to make my box at least a little resistant to nature/exterior. (its made of standard grade plywood).

Arckon

I use System Three Clear Coat (http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/Clear-Coat-c14.htm NOTE Mirror Coat) on wood projects made from plywood all the time. It is relatively low viscosity and penetrates the plywood (especially the cut edges) fairly well and stiffens everything up to a degree that is hard to believe. I have even thinned it a bit with Acetone and it penetrates even better (but takes longer to really fully cure). Unthined it takes a good 24 hours to cure and I don't sane it for 48 hours from application. With Acetone it takes several days before it's ready for sanding.

It is NOT UV resistant. They recommend a coat of Spar Varnish as the final coat for UV protection.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Looks excessive given the compact options you have now. I'm sure 20 years ago it was a cool idea. Still is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I use a large Pelican too and it stays in the trailer's main cargo box. I've never been happy with the jumble so this thread will have me thinking about adding in some dividers to corral the contents.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
I use a large Pelican too and it stays in the trailer's main cargo box. I've never been happy with the jumble so this thread will have me thinking about adding in some dividers to corral the contents.

Let me know if you come up with any ideas. I'm using a 1600 and am trying to figure out the dividers.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Let me know if you come up with any ideas. I'm using a 1600 and am trying to figure out the dividers.

Use thin wood or plastic sheet and just cut the appropriate slots to make up a set of dividers with "boxes" to drop in plates, cups, utensils etc.

Basic idea of the simple approach which would be glued together and simply drop into the pelican case
SAM_2701.JPG

(just a picture I found in a search)

rabies

time is running out.....
americans.............always building/making things better than chinese :D
il take one of those old american combos before these new chinese setups(falls apart. missing pieces)

kbahus

Adventurer

I have a 1600 and am having the same issue and the Pelican lid organizer is pretty spendy for what it does. Perhaps building some wood dividers is the way to go.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
I did bite the bullet for the old organizer last week. Should be here in a few days I hope. Paid $29 plus $7 shipping. Not too bad I suppose. Paid $85 for my 1600.

Arckon

pictures of mybox

Here is a picture of the one me and my gf built a week ago. Like i said, just need to finish the wood with some kind of wood preserver/protector. I have a few holes around the box for all sorts of hangers and to keep things even more organized. Final measurements are 36'' high x 20'' deep x 52'' long" VERY satisfied. Thanks all for this great post which got me motivated to make one.

chuckbox camping text 2.jpg

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I wasn't that original and went with the Kanz kitchen and pantry...they have been bombproof so far...I use the Kitchen alone for solo trips and add the pantry for fishing trips with my brother when I pack a lot of booze:coffeedrink:

Attachments

• P1030272.jpg
    P1030272.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 345
  • P1030204.jpg
    P1030204.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:

Arckon

I wasn't that original and went with the Kanz kitchen and pantry...they have been bombproof so far...I use the Kitchen alone for solo trips and add the pantry for fishing trips with my brother when I pack a lot of booze:coffeedrink:

wow man still really nice!
wheres that fishing spot !?!?!?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94