Keep the Power Wagon or get a diesel flatbed???

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Its still up in the air right now. Im retiring from the Army (medical), anyways.... Trying to decide if Im going to go back to school or travel like a wandering 47 year old man with a cool truck, some camera gear and a map. lolol. We will see what the VA sess a broken neck, nerve damage and central apnea is worth. Anyways, I do really like the truck.

I understand. I went through my med board in 2016, what a nightmare of a process, took over seven months to get my rating, clear post, and get my DD214. I left at 40% for back, leg, and nerve damage but it just got bumped to 60%. Hopefully you can go be a rambler for a few years and enjoy the truck and your time off, that GI Bill isn't going anywhere.

Ravenmad

Observer
I understand. I went through my med board in 2016, what a nightmare of a process, took over seven months to get my rating, clear post, and get my DD214. I left at 40% for back, leg, and nerve damage but it just got bumped to 60%. Hopefully you can go be a rambler for a few years and enjoy the truck and your time off, that GI Bill isn't going anywhere.

You are absolutely correct, the process is a pain, but ow well. Are you any closer to your decision on a flat bed / tray bed? I would love to flat bed my truck and drop a 4wheel camper on it or an XP camper (post lottery) just for the utility of it.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
You are absolutely correct, the process is a pain, but ow well. Are you any closer to your decision on a flat bed / tray bed? I would love to flat bed my truck and drop a 4wheel camper on it or an XP camper (post lottery) just for the utility of it.

I am in limbo at the moment pending some info on a vehicle which I am hoping to find more out about next week.

Airbags are here along with the Daystar cradles so I am going to install those this weekend (weather permitting) and then I will be doing a trial run with a slide-in FWC Hawk next weekend. I'll see how PW fairs with that and then coupled with that info on the other vehicle I will then make my decision.

In regards to your med board/discharge/retirement I will say that my personal experience with the VA post AD has been pretty stellar. I know there are tons of horror stories with the VA, but for those that come out with a rating I feel that it is a much smoother ride. Each region and even on down to the individual out patient office obviously varies in terms of service, etc. but I can honestly say that I have been very pleased thus far. Best of luck to you in that process.

Ravenmad

Observer
Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do. I have gone and looked at FWC's several times. I do think their prices are a bit inflated for what your getting, but I have no question about their quality, durability and utility. I do really like them for sure. Who do you think makes the best flat/tray bed? and why? I would be curious as to your opinion.

The MEB and the VA, well, I agree, I have heard a fairly wide spectrum of opinions and experiences.

Wallygator

Adventurer
It only takes one VA to do wrong to give the whole thing a bad reputation. The VA is over all a very good thing. It was one or two facilities that caused the "bad" reputation of the VA. I work at a VA that has been number one in the nation in customer satisfaction as recently as last year. Recently dropped to number three for some reason. I'm proud of the VA and what we do for our vets.

Ravenmad

Observer
It only takes one VA to do wrong to give the whole thing a bad reputation. The VA is over all a very good thing. It was one or two facilities that caused the "bad" reputation of the VA. I work at a VA that has been number one in the nation in customer satisfaction as recently as last year. Recently dropped to number three for some reason. I'm proud of the VA and what we do for our vets.

Not to highjack the thread, so I will say this and let it alone. I have a very good friend who works for the VA and he is one of the greatest people I know. Second, the problem I have right now is the unknown, and that for a fact is not anyones fault, its just the way it is. I have heard horror stories but I will reserve my opinions for say 1 year after I am out. I will also say that I have only had 1 bad experience with a representative from the VA in this whole process and they were quickly corrected when I complained to my SOF rep. about the accusatory nature of the interaction (general medical review). Outside of that, man, everyone has been very kind to me. Am I a little stressed? yes! Will it be over soon? yes! And then on to a new chapter in life.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I haven't followed your build thread too closely, have you regeared your truck?

I have not. I am still running the factory 4.10's. I was leaning towards 4.88's but I haven't completely ruled out 5.13's yet. I'd love to go to 40's but I am not sure I can justify reducing my fuel economy even further just for the sake of looks. That said, I have not ruled out going to 38's. I think 4.88's will be fine for 37's but it might not be a bad idea to hedge my bets and go with the 5.13's should I get restless int he future and make the leap to 40's?!

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Tex, since we haven't been able to connect with busy holiday stuff going on I'll lay out my experience.
If you are good with a popup truck camper there is zero reason to move to a diesel 3500. I ran quite a few miles with an 8ft long ATC Cougar in a Platinum 4wd Ford F150 SuperCrew with absolutely zero issues. I added airbags and kept them at about 50psi and the truck sat perfectly level and drove almost like stock. I took that setup all over the Alpine Loop in Colorado and never thought twice.

I bought my Ram 3500 when we decided to move to a hard side Lance 855. The F150 with the ATC was actually an easier drive than the 3500/Lance combo due to the lower CG and better aerodynamics on the highway. If you decide to go hard side ever, jump to the 3500, no question. Until then, keep what you have and have fun.

Dalko43

Explorer
Deezel flatbed....doet! It's only money, they'll print more! :)

GJOverlandExpoEastVehiclesBryonDorr-8-700x700.jpg

Now that right there would be my dream rig for a camper-oriented overlander....I'm sure it's expensive as hell with the flatbed and camper, never mind the AEV goodies....but its still pretty BA. In a few years time, those underlying Ram 2500/3500 vehicles will be available for decent prices and I wouldn't be surprised to see more of them on the road hauling campers around.

Wow.
You guys from the US of A sure have an different attitude to NEEDS than most other places I know.

Blokes (and families) have driven across Asia, Africa, Australia and I dare say other continents in stock standard Land Rovers and the like.

Reading the stories suggest they had a ball doing it too. Somehow the lack of a gazillion horsepower and the ‘perfect rig’ didn’t inhibit their enjoyment.

North American trucks trend towards the bigger end of the spectrum. 3/4 and 1 tons are the only ones, in my view anyways, that are truly overbuilt from the factory. So they serve as a solid starting point for overland builds, even if they are a bit bigger than the average 4x4.

Keep in mind that these vehicles are built for hard towing and work duties that far exceed what the average Toyota or Nissan 4x4 is designed for. So yes, some North American trucks are bigger relative to the global offerings, but they're also built for somewhat different purposes than those of a Nissan Patrol or Landcruiser.

Oilbrnr

Tex, interested to hear how the airbag test goes with the Hawk.

I have a '16 PW that is fairly loaded. ARE shell (so I can sleep in the back on one side), rack, solar, ARB fridge, Puma compressor, second battery, ARB awning, Expo1 rear dual swings, White Knuckle sliders, yada-yada. Loaded with three large labs and my son, we clocked in at 9,125 on a CAT scale a couple weekends ago. Now this isn't as loaded as I'd have for a 7+ day trip. No food/drink, extra water or gas, no second spare or LP. Bottomline she be wallowing. Power wise, she is fine (35's), even here in AZ. Milage averages to 14 staying under 80 which obviously varies depending on terrain/wind.

Now that TDay is over, I plan on shooting Thuren an email to see what setup they recommend. I'm still contemplating a Phoenix or hallmark at some point.

Personally, if you can get the loaded suspension to your satisfaction, I'd stay with the PW. If not, I'd search for a pre-emission RAM with a 6 speed and do a build on it.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Air bags are now on, the FWC goes in later next week so we shall see how it does. I expect that the bags are all I will ever need to make the load stable when using the FWC. Fuel continues to drop and so will oil through next year so I think I can deal with the lower fuel economy and added costs for a few years lol.

Ravenmad

Observer
Air bags are now on, the FWC goes in later next week so we shall see how it does. I expect that the bags are all I will ever need to make the load stable when using the FWC. Fuel continues to drop and so will oil through next year so I think I can deal with the lower fuel economy and added costs for a few years lol.

Are you going to try a Hawk or a Grandby? I was told that the load carrying capacity of the roof was close to 600 pounds on a FWC, what are your thoughts on solar panels and a spare tire up there? I sure like the idea of the hawk not protruding out past the rear bumper but I also like the extra room of the Grandby. Front dinette, side dinette? options? do tell........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz