Just posting some pics of my FG

sixbennetts

Adventurer
I have been looking to mount a Flippac top on the box, but I have not been able to locate a lightly used one here on the East Coast.
That said, I have put in a request to Flippac to acquire the top cap (bed), tent, and hinge assembly.
For those not familiar with their product, you can check them out at http://flippac.com/. Pretty cool stuff.

I'm doing the same thing in the spring to our Volvo.

20120913_172752.jpg

Here's a mock-up my son did on MS Paint.

TgbFlippac.jpg

We have everything we need except the torsion bar and crank handle, but I'm just not gonna use them. Just gonna use a long pole like others here have done.

BTW, FG Safari, I was able to find some Kinro windows similar to yours on Ebay cheap. I went with over-under sliders for the openings in the back doors, and the big wall sections over the rear tires will get longer exit windows that are hinged on top and swing out so they can be opened even in a heavy downpour, just like yours.

Thanks for the inspiration!

It'll break my heart to cut a big-***** hole in the roof of such a sweet truck, but having room to stand up in the back AND a double bed I'm sure will make up for it.

Last edited:

FG Surfari

Adventurer
Your mock-up looks great, and I'm glad that to hear that you got some windows, especially on the cheap.
As for cutting that hole, you just have to go for it. (that is, of course, after measuring, re-measuring, having a "****** are you doing?" moment, and again measuring one last time)
I went through the same process when I cut the hole in the FG for the sunroof.
Now, two years later, I cannot imagine not having done it, as it completely changed the truck.
Worth mentioning, I made the cut in the roof with a Dremel wheel, which took a while, but it allowed for incredible precision.
Keep me posted.

FG Surfari

Adventurer
any inside photos you could share with us?

Unfortunately, at this point in my build, there is really nothing in the box worth sharing.
So far, I have put down some marine grade carpet on the floor (for now), and bolted in a couple of nice locking chests full of things like tow straps, an air compressor, a jack, and a Snap-On 4 to 1 torque multiplier for the lug nuts.
I also carry a bottle or two of Stanadyne, in an attempt to help counter balance the drying effects of additives in the fuel.
That said, after the graphics wrap and Flippac install, I hope to have more to show.
To note, I actually had the opportunity to spend some time in a Mercedes ERA recently, and I can pretty much say that I plan to mimic the clean look of that interior, albeit, on a smaller scale.

Last edited:

FG Surfari

Adventurer
Flippac fail

After finally doing some measuring today, it seems that the Flippac idea is out the window.
Unfortunately, due to the taper of the box, the roof measures only 48" in width. The most narrow Flippac unit measuring 64" in width.
That said, my mind is all over the place looking for another way to increase headroom in the box, while locating the sleeping quarters above the box.
It will be interesting (at least to me) to see what I come up with.

skibum315

Explorer
What about the pop-top, tent & bed from a VW camper van (Westfalia) ... I'm sure I've seen folks parting out older beat up vans, that still have tops in decent shape ... and I'm pretty sure there are companies out there making replacement canvas, should the tent need it.

Don't know about the size, though ... might also be too wide.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If I understand correctly, you are only wanting to reduce the width.
Can't you do a "cut and shut" on one of the Flippac units?
I am thinking that this would probably be easier than designing a complete unit from scratch.

FG Surfari

Adventurer
Cut and shut option

If I understand correctly, you are only wanting to reduce the width.
Can't you do a "cut and shut" on one of the Flippac units?
I am thinking that this would probably be easier than designing a complete unit from scratch.

I am not familiar with your terminology, but I like the thought of making a Flippac work for my application.
As such, please elaborate, if you get a moment.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
"Cut and shut" is a term used extensively in the hot rod world (well, it is here). Think of those chop tops you have seen that have a very low roof and narrow windows.
Basically, you cut a section out of the Flippac's frame's width and then rejoin it at the desired width. You do a similar thing to the canvas in the tent section, which gives you a narrower version of the same thing.

You never know... if you talk to the folks at Flippac, they might even do a custom build for you. Some companies are very accommodating that way, but you get to pay a bit more obviously.

FG Surfari

Adventurer
"Cut and shut" is a term used extensively in the hot rod world (well, it is here). Think of those chop tops you have seen that have a very low roof and narrow windows.
Basically, you cut a section out of the Flippac's frame's width and then rejoin it at the desired width. You do a similar thing to the canvas in the tent section, which gives you a narrower version of the same thing.

You never know... if you talk to the folks at Flippac, they might even do a custom build for you. Some companies are very accommodating that way, but you get to pay a bit more obviously.

Good points.
I am just concerned about whether a 4' wide bed would be worth the time and expense.
It may be the only sensible option, though, given the dimensions that I have to work with.
Thanks !

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Yeah, if your sides taper in that much as you go up, you'd be better off making your bed low. Every inch of bed width is precious.

As you know we'll have a double up top with the FlipPac, but I also want a bed down below for 3 reasons:

1. Back-up for bad weather and we don't wanna open the top.
2. Grandkids!
3. Company.
4. A comfortable place to sit and watch a movie during bad weather.

So, although we already have a sleeping arrangements topside, we're also looking at combination sofa/bed devices, which is where you come in. Rock n Roll bed is one option, like what's in a Volkswagon bus or Vanagon, and from what I can gather, there's lotsa different versions. Flexsteel 4615 is a VERY nice loveseat unit made for high end RV's. It has footrests like a recliner, but opens to a double bed. There's the, "Easy-Sleeper", made in the UK, but they won't ship stateside. Great West Vans also has a sweet electric tri-fold sofa/bed for their Sprinter conversion.

There are also units that fold to the side wall and slide down to a bed. Or you could build a raised platform above the wheelwells that you set up every night.

FG Surfari

Adventurer
Yeah, if your sides taper in that much as you go up, you'd be better off making your bed low. Every inch of bed width is precious.

As you know we'll have a double up top with the FlipPac, but I also want a bed down below for 3 reasons:

1. Back-up for bad weather and we don't wanna open the top.
2. Grandkids!
3. Company.
4. A comfortable place to sit and watch a movie during bad weather.

So, although we already have a sleeping arrangements topside, we're also looking at combination sofa/bed devices, which is where you come in. Rock n Roll bed is one option, like what's in a Volkswagon bus or Vanagon, and from what I can gather, there's lotsa different versions. Flexsteel 4615 is a VERY nice loveseat unit made for high end RV's. It has footrests like a recliner, but opens to a double bed. There's the, "Easy-Sleeper", made in the UK, but they won't ship stateside. Great West Vans also has a sweet electric tri-fold sofa/bed for their Sprinter conversion.

There are also units that fold to the side wall and slide down to a bed. Or you could build a raised platform above the wheelwells that you set up every night.

If a 4' X 78" Flippac tent top existed, and it was hinged to the side rather than the front, when it opened up it would create the same overhead opening and bed space as a forward hinged unit, but would allow me to simply pop in an additional foot or two of bed surface to create the equivalent of a king size bed. That would be a win win for my situation, I just have to figure out how I could to do it.
As for the lower unit, I agree, you cant have too much bed space, and I like the utilitarian look of the basic Rock n Roll bed.
I also don't have any wheel well intrusions to worry about, so width can be as big as 6', minus what I would dedicate to a side storage unit, if any.

Last edited:

skibum315

Explorer
I think some if the Wildernest camper shells open like you describe ... might be worth checking out. Though, again, don't know about the width.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior