Just another 6 x 12 cargo conversion

Mischief

You're welcome ottsville, sometimes it's hard to wrap our minds around things. Try explaining bicycle steering geometries :sick:
For my own curiosity I measured my spring length. From the eye to the center bolt along the curve of the unloaded spring is 1/4 inch longer than a straight line. So I guess if the spring was compressed flat it would push the tire 1/4" closer to the center and if both springs were compressed flat the tires would move twice that or 1/2" closer together. I still can't quite imagine a scenario where both springs were compressed flat, at least in my application, it isn't a freight trailer. And I still think that both springs being half compressed as normal that when one loads the other unloads so the loaded one would stretch and the unloaded one would contract

45617452542_ec762e1600_c.jpg

Mischief

A little update, I had a water container at the back secured with a strap over the top through the handle. I didn't notice but during a rather rough descent it had moved out from under the strap and landed on it's top so the vent slowly leaked the water out. I built a box to contain the jugs and they can still be accessed with the bed down.

31580036617_c8d40e98ca_c.jpg

wb9wb

Very very cool rig! This is almost exactly what I have in mind. I'm after a 6x12. I want some sort of off road suspension (independent torsion). I was debating if I needed a tandem axle or not, and still haven't decided. I'm using an unlifted Jeep Wrangler with a tow limit of #3500, and wanted to keep the entire weight under #3000. A tandem axle setup adds another #500. With solar batteries, water, bed, and stuff, I would be hitting that #3000 limit. I was also thinking about mileage. It seems you are hitting the same type of terrain I was planning on. Forest Roads, BLM land, but no technical stuff like rock crawling ,etc. Do you believe a single torsion axle will do, or do you recommend a tandem? thanks

ITTOG

Very very cool rig! This is almost exactly what I have in mind. I'm after a 6x12. I want some sort of off road suspension (independent torsion). I was debating if I needed a tandem axle or not, and still haven't decided. I'm using an unlifted Jeep Wrangler with a tow limit of #3500, and wanted to keep the entire weight under #3000. A tandem axle setup adds another #500. With solar batteries, water, bed, and stuff, I would be hitting that #3000 limit. I was also thinking about mileage. It seems you are hitting the same type of terrain I was planning on. Forest Roads, BLM land, but no technical stuff like rock crawling ,etc. Do you believe a single torsion axle will do, or do you recommend a tandem? thanks
Keep in mind a tandem adds improved angles of departure and if you have a blowout it will be much safer. I went with a tandem because of this.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dreadlocks

FYI those water containers fit perfectly into milk crates, thats how I keep mine from moving about while still having quick access to em on the road.. I use turnbuckles to hold the crates in place, or you could screw em down.. also gives em a bit of protection if something else comes loose in the trailer and starts sliding around.

edit: PS milk crates also hold LP tanks perfectly too, I friggin love milk crates and cant get my hands on enough of em lol

Last edited:

Mischief

Lots of 6x12's run on single axles. I like tandem setups. I think tandems transfer less stress to the the tow vehicle from dropping into holes or ruts and lessen bouncing. New tandem axles with springs costs about the same as a single timbren but I also built a subframe to mount them to so, yeah, with the steel the second axle added about 500#'s. The subframe also made it easy to extend the hitch. Mostly just personal preference

31579898117_2e05c0c965_c.jpg

wb9wb

Do you believe a tandem axle works better in mud and sand than a single axle (assuming the weight is the same)?

thanks.

Mischief

So, I have a lock n roll hitch and I like it, it works well and doesn't seem too spendy for what it is. But, I'm a little disappointed that it has worn the way that it has.

50514119406_64ff79443c_c.jpg50514112526_ab3b2410cb_c.jpg

The trailer side has a lot of up and down movement around the side to side pivot that seems to come from the wear in the narrow hitch part sticking out from the trailer. I shortened up the truck side of my receiver to take up a little movement and put a little less stress on the truck frame but the trailer side had stumped me. So finally the bangbangbangbang of the hitch got enough for me to attempt a fix. I bought another trailer side and merged the two together to try to eliminate the movement. We'll see how it works...

50530096416_14da8e4cfe_c.jpg50547802293_63bd545dd3_c.jpg

Attachments

• 50548801081_ea3c4e97c7_c.jpg
    50548801081_ea3c4e97c7_c.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 50548801081_ea3c4e97c7_c.jpg
    50548801081_ea3c4e97c7_c.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 41

Mischief

It's gone anywhere I've tried to pull it, I'm not a rock crawler. I've never weighed it but I'm guessing around 3000#'s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles