Josh's 2014 Xterra Pro 4x - guided by necessity

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Got my lift delivered yesterday. Going to install tomorrow. I've never messed with leaf springs before, so it should be interesting.

They aren't difficult to replace, often issues come from a lot of rust and seized ubokts, since yours is basically brand new it shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure you have it blocked up properly. Have fun!

jhberria

Adventurer
I'm actually doing it today. I've spent the past couple weeks moving to southern Arizona, and I'm just now settled in having access to a garage and my tools. I'll post some pictures up when I'm done.

jhberria

Adventurer
Got the lift installed. Looks great, but I'm getting some subtle driveline vibes around 30 MPH (even with the 3 degree shims). I'm hoping they subside as the leafs settle. I'll post some pictures once I get some daylight.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
Check to see how much of the slip yolk is still in your transfer case. When I replaced the rear joint on my drive shaft I had the original shaft cut apart and a geaseable u-joint installed instead of the non-serviceable CV Joint. The drive shaft shop screwed up and made the shaft too short; I ended up with too little in the slip yolk with resulted in vibration on the highway and failure of the t-case seal. The drive shaft had to be re-made to the right length (actually a bit longer than stock) to fix the problem.

jhberria

Adventurer
Blind, plenty of the slip yolk is still in the T-case, so I don't think that's the issue.

Last night I pulled the u-bolts, re-seated the shims, and torqued everything back down and the vibrations decreased noticeably. I then filled up the old petrol reservoir (as I was at less than 1/8 of a tank) and the vibrations are nearly gone from the extra consistent load. I'm wagering that once the new leaf settles, they'll subside completely.

The new issue is coil bucket contact from the 2-inch spacers. Not an issue at all on road, but of the rocky Arizona trails it' annoying, frustrating, and (at times) infuriating. Looks like the OME full CO assemblies are in my very near future.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I had to shim mine. Most xterras end up needing the shims

If you're interested I'll be pulling my ome co's and rear shocks for sale in a few weeks. Been on for about 1k miles.

jhberria

Adventurer
I already shimmed it with 2.5 degree shims. Kurt, I PM'd you regarding the OME coilovers.

Has anyone currently or formerly running the OME front coilovers experienced any coil bucket contact? I've looked into it on multiple forums, and there's mixed findings.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I've never gotten coil/bucket contact with mine

Edit just saw you had 2" spacers. You are likely to get coil bucket contact with those from what i understand

jhberria

Adventurer
Not yet, Will. I wanted to hold off on new UCAs for a while, but I'm getting the feeling I'm going to need them if I want to stay with two inches of lift and be happy with the setup. (Happy=additional ground clearance without the CBC). Don't really need the additional travel for my current off highway habits.

Ripper

Adventurer
I think you be happier in many ways if you replace the UCAs. Better articulation, no contact, and when you decide to upgrade to Radflos you'll be all set!

jhberria

Adventurer
So I did end up getting OME coilovers for the X, and installed them this morning. I'm now running with OME coils of the 607 variety in the front with deaver AALs/OME shocks in the rear. Rides like butter on road and off. Took a ride up a local canyon road this afternoon to flex the new setup. This trail is 5 minutes from my house... it's nice living in Arizona.

Ripper

Adventurer
Truck looks great. And thank you for reinforcing the fact that I need to move out of the Northeast.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles