JKU suspension upgrade needed - Opinions Welcome

jadmt

ignore button user
here is a box stock Recon 4door full tank of gas nobody in the vehicle. so you know how heavy they get once parts get added on.
IMG_20180330_155459049_HDR_zpsfqs0e6s8.jpg

jadmt

ignore button user
I just changed out my AEV 2.5 to the 4.5 with the High Capacity Coils and the remote shocks. Night and day difference. I cannot believe I waited as long as I did. I am heavy granted I have never weighted it. Plan to coming up. I also a while back added the Dynatrac Pro Grip brake kit. Makes a big difference in braking now as well. I was a tad concerned about having 35s with the lift. I do not mind the stance at all now that I have done it. Here is this past weekend getting a quick getaway camping.
looks great. I am surprised it did not lift it more. What is the measurements from center of hubs to the bottom of the flares?

rubicon91

Explorer
looks great. I am surprised it did not lift it more. What is the measurements from center of hubs to the bottom of the flares?

I think maybe the picture is a tad deceiving. I have to now climb into the Jeep. I am almost 6'2. No sag whatsoever in the rears. I stay fully loaded as this is not my primary vehicle it sits mostly in the garage nowadays until a trip comes up. I didnt measure from the center of the hubs to the bottom of the flares but from top of tire to flares went from 6 inches to 9 inches of space and from floor in my garage to hard rock rails on the side went from 21 to 24 inches from the ground. That is how compressed the 2.5 was along with a 1 inch spacer in the rear. The tires are KO2 315/70 R17s. Here is a side pic from April when I went on a trip. Nothing has changed outside of lift from this picture.

Attachments

• 20190426_082255.jpg
    20190426_082255.jpg
    852.1 KB · Views: 34

jadmt

ignore button user
I think maybe the picture is a tad deceiving. I have to now climb into the Jeep. I am almost 6'2. No sag whatsoever in the rears. I stay fully loaded as this is not my primary vehicle it sits mostly in the garage nowadays until a trip comes up. I didnt measure from the center of the hubs to the bottom of the flares but from top of tire to flares went from 6 inches to 9 inches of space and from floor in my garage to hard rock rails on the side went from 21 to 24 inches from the ground. That is how compressed the 2.5 was along with a 1 inch spacer in the rear. The tires are KO2 315/70 R17s. Here is a side pic from April when I went on a trip. Nothing has changed outside of lift from this picture.
if you get a chance the center of hub to bottom of flare takes the tire size out of the equation. this also does. might help someone in the future decide. thanks
stock-jk-dim_zpsb4e89309.jpg

rubicon91

Explorer
if you get a chance the center of hub to bottom of flare takes the tire size out of the equation. this also does. might help someone in the future decide. thanks
If I can remember i will tonight it is in the garage I dont daily drive it. Those were just the measurements I had from when it all went down so I could get an idea.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I've been using the OME 2.5" Overload springs with a set of stiff gas shocks. No sway issues unless disconnected. I highly recommend the OME setup.

moto-treks

On the road

Shock measurement
Front: 23 3/4"
Rear: 23 1/2"

This is with an AEV 4.5" lift and the HC springs. Jeep weighs ≈6100 lbs when these measurements where taken.

Jeep49N

I realize this is an older thread, but I thought I would look for additional advice on this topic: best JKU suspension for added mods/gear weight... It seems to be a common question for overland newbies like myself. I appreciate your patience as I plow some old ground in 2020. Just want to make sure I spend wisely on a suspension upgrade and get the results we are looking for.

After many years of wanting to buy a Jeep, I pulled the trigger on a 2015 JKUR (bought used in 2016, all stock). I had some simple mods in mind. Added a Teraflex Perf Levelling Kit (springs), 285/70/17 Duratracs on stock Rubicon rims (Spidertrax spacers). Also added Recon rails. All good. However, we have always enjoyed camping, hiking, mtn biking, fishing, etc, so it didn’t take long for the overland bug to bite, and we have now added a RhinoRack, drawer/stove/cooler unit, and a variety of safety/recovery/tools... RTT soon hopefully. Needless to say, the weight is adding up. The TF kit was never intended to handle too much extra load (nor do I expect it to). Plus, we would like to add further upgrades and be a bit more trail ready/resilient (ie. bumpers, winch, 35s, tire carrier, and the RTT)... and still use it as a daily driver. A lot to ask, I know.

I initially thought the AEV 2.5 DS would be the answer for the current or future load/sag/handling issues, but I fortunately I found this forum, and realized that is not the case. Thanks!... you guys saved me time, money and likely a headache.

I have heard/read good things here about the AEV 3.5” system, ARB/OME components, as well as the TF Outback HD springs... but not much about the ARB/OME BP51, or TF 3” Alpine Outback Overland complete systems as a whole... also looking for thoughts on Metalcloak (their dual rate springs sound like a viable option, and their Gamechanger system sounds like a quality product overall). Lastly, any thoughts on SteerSmarts, Falcon, or Fox steering stabilizers?
Any other ideas or updates in 2020?

Lots of questions, haha... Really appreciate the veteran input/feedback. Thanks!

moto-treks

On the road
SteerSmarts makes more than the steering stabilizer. I’d look at upgrading your drag link, track bar and tie rod etc. Makes a big difference.

AEV has a high capacity coil set that does wonders for a heavy Jeep.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
I currently run the base 4" Teraflex kit, shocks, springs, sway bar end links, bump stop extensions, and it rides great and I ride it pretty hard. The full Overland Kit looks great and I might add arms (especially adjustable ones. I have run Metalcloak in the past and loved them as well, truly. I would buy either again. I have heard great things about AEV as well.

It all comes down to the amount of money you want to spend and what you use it for. Are you just doing basic overlanding? You don't need anything too fancy. I push my jeep hard in pretty rough trails and still love the base system. Are the full systems better, probably. Would they allow me to do anything that I can't do today? Probably not.

To me the most important thing after lifting your Jeep over 3" inches is fixing the Geometry, suspension and steering. Teraflex and AEV make geometry correction brackets. Also look at a Drag Link Flip Kit to fix your steering Geometry.

You can't go wrong with any of the steering stabilizers that you mentioned. I just ordered the Teraflex one because I have the Teraflex kit but either the Fox or Teraflex ones are top-notch.

As moto-treks mentions, SteerSmarts makes more than just steering stabilizers and make really good stuff. More than the high-end suspensions I would recommend upgrading your steering. While 35"s aren't going to demolish your stock steering alone, your Tie Rod (especially Tie Rod) and Drag Link are right out front and will take a beating from rocks. I just had to replace my steering stabilizer as it was beaten to hell and popped a bushing.

20200518_111859.jpg20200518_111905.jpg

MattJ

Adventurer
All great advice and details here! Apologies if I've already mentioned in this thread (there are several suspension/weight threads circulating), but I'm convinced the Hellwig rear anti-sway bar should come standard with any roof-top tent purchase! Easy install, and make a huge difference over the OEM sway bar when you add 150lbs (or more) to your roof. You'll definitely notice the difference the first time you take that hard-curl exit ramp off the highway at 60mph fully loaded . . .

SBSYNCRO

I've been through some trial and error since buying my '17 JKUR and I've come to a couple of conclusions/opinions when it comes to this topic:

1. Too much emphasis is often put on lift height and not enough on geometry. Handling is dramatically affected by the steering & track bar setup - if you lift over 2" you really should consider relocating the TB mount (at least in the front). Bottom line, if you're going to lift, budget accordingly... My Jeep came with a Rock Krawler 2.5" ""flex" lift and I've had to re-do pretty much everything except the original springs in order to get my Jeep to handle well (for me).

2. Handling at speed is dramatically affected by the "roll center" of the vehicle as well as the "scrub radius" of the tires (Google and read up on these topics). Track bar mount location and wheel offset affect these the most.

3. Tire inflation also plays a major role with Jeeps - I notice a change in handling with just a couple PSI difference.

4. Suspension parts with jam nuts suck. I would personally never recommend any lift kit that uses them. They come loose and when they do, there is no practical way to adjust them on the vehicle - ESPECIALLY if they don't have machined flats (such as Rock Krawler and I think Metal Cloak). This tends to happen after a few hundred miles of travel deep into the boonies...

5. To improve stability and handling, the best thing I did was to install a track bar, track bar relocation bracket, and drag link flip kit along with a Fox 2.0 ATS steering stabilizer (and TB brace and teering sector shaft brace). I chose Synergy because they don't use jam nuts and they are local to me. The steering is now very tight and precise (perhaps a bit too much so) and corners really flat when at speed or taking quick turns. The Rock Krawler progressive 2.5" springs are quite supple and comfortable when not under load but do induce sway when off-camber and going slowly over rocks, etc. Eventually I will probably upgrade to either Synergy or AEV 3.5" springs and a rear track bar and track bar relo bracket (I'm still running stock).

I have not measured weight while fully loaded, but I'm usually carrying about 10-15 gallons of water, 5 gallons fuel, 50L fridge, 500 h battery + 100w solar panel, 4 to 6 wolf packs of gear and provisions, and hunting and/or fishing gear. A lot...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier