JKU roof rack suggestions

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If I was doing life over, I might skip the rack and jump straight to a trailer. I love my Gobi, but I'm finding enough little "wish I had" customizations that I'm considering building my own now.

Cedo Nulli

Observer
I ran a Gobi for a few years...it was a great, solid rack that still allowed me to drop the top--which was a must, and it was a no drill install. They are costly, but it was well worth it.

I ended up pulling it and selling it when I started doing much longer, more routine highway driving for work (Shreveport to Florida, Shreveport to San Antonio, etc) and went with a trailer setup. Now, I do much prefer the trailer setup...but there is that bit of "Look, open space, what do I buy to fill it?" cluttering up the trailer/camp site. I'm usually a bit of a minimalist. The big positive for the trailer, only attached when you needed it, everything can stay packed/ready to roll, and base camp and still use jeep for daytrip/wheeling around camp.

Justincredible

Adventurer
You can try the Olympic quick and easy bars.
They only work when topless, but at $150 they definitely fit the budget.

J20194

RacerAV

I have a 2017 JKU and want to mount my RTT. I know all the big expensive racks GOBI, RHINO RACK etc.. however with 5 kiddos i need something to not break the bank yet look good and support the tent. Any suggestions?
well you can get a RR on sale right now! i LOVE mine... have friends with the oddball exocage looking ones and man, my slimline lowpro rhino rack is great. super solid. a pain to install, took me two short days to do it alone. get a helper! find a deal on it, you WONT be disappointed...

another plus: you can still remove your freedom panels and get some fresh air and sunshine! throw them up on the rack for storage! you can also pluck your hard top off using the rack, while the doors are up there secured! hoist it up into your garage. or just remove it easier and set it down!

Last edited:

HAFICON

Adventurer
If I was doing life over, I might skip the rack and jump straight to a trailer. I love my Gobi, but I'm finding enough little "wish I had" customizations that I'm considering building my own now.

Agree, I love the Gobi rack got it for well under half price but almost considered ditching it. I built a trailer ran it for a few years loved it and traded it to a friend because I am moving went camping a week ago and man did I miss it.
IMG_3534.JPG

Nomad001

I got an Under Armor exo type rack. cheap, strong, and would hold a rtt easily but my coworker who was going to let me try his hasn't been available to lend it. I like the trailer idea but it doubles the cost of the setup. I still may do an rtt but I removed the rack.
images.ashx
it was a good 2-3 mpg hit. May sell it unless I find a deal on an rtt. I am also interested in ground tents and something like a smitty defender rack as a cheaper option.

markwiseguy

With a car load of people you will likely need a full rack, with a tent taking half of this space you still have room for other storage.
If your serious about camping [not just an occasional fad] you won't regret a Frontrunner, Rhino rack or Gobi. The quality and usability is worth the added cost.
I originally bought the Frontrunner half rack, a year later, upgraded to the full version by just purchasing the extra pieces required. Expensive yes, but i don't regret it.

Ranger Steve

Adventurer
I run rhino rack with the pioneer platform. You could save a bunch and just get the one with the crossbars. I tent to haul random items up top for everyday life so the platform made the most sense.

Either one is a super isn’t install once you get past the idea of drilling all the holes in the hardtop haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles