JK Tailgate Tables - The lowdown

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I used everything from Canadian tire.

24" x12" "shelf, 10 guage coated "wire" and crimp on terminals for the ends. I used a piano hinge for the main hinge for the table and two spring loaded clasps to keep it up. The only issue is I cannot slam the tailgate hard. it will fall down then, but if I close the gate lightly, its good to go.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I read a lot about how easy the Trailgator is to install, so I made a video to demonstrate.

Super easy.

Also, that's my new YouTube Channel, where I'll be posting my around Africa expedition.

-Dan

Fritzoc

Observer
I just received my fold-down tailgate table from Molle Platforms Solutions ("EBAY table"). I'm very happy with the build quality and customer service. One question for those of you that bought this table: Did you use the paracord that came with the table, or did you fashion a different solution to attach the table portion to the supports? I'm considering coated cable with more secure connections. Thanks for your sharing your solutions.

JCDriller

Adventurer
The only hardware I can't figure out is the side mounting hinge that the Tailgater and Springtail solutions tables use.

I can't put photos up since I'm at work, but what I did was remove the spare tire carrier to gain access to the inside of the tailgate. I then got a stainless piano hinge, cut it to length and used stainless steel hardward (bolts, nuts & washers) to secure the piano hinge to the venting at the bottom of the door. I think I have something like 15 bolts with 1" washers on the back side. Getting some of the washers and nuts installed on the back is very tricky and some of them are impossible to get to, but in the end I can guarantee the piano hinge isn't coming off without taking the door skin with it.

Edited to add photos

It's all getting paint tomorrow.

You can see it folded up in this photo. Please ignore the paracord in the drawer, I hadn't installed the K&V slider latch yet.

Last edited:

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Built my own today! Thanks for all the inspiration in this thread. Made a 12" x 28" out of 1/2" Beech plywood. Cost was under $100. End result is 2" thick folded up. It's pretty rough and unfinished still, I'll probably take it apart and poly it.

I didn't want to drill any holes so I made a cardboard mockup and measured out the door hole pattern. It would've been nice if the jeep engineers punched a somewhat standard hole pattern into this thing.

20150915_145759.jpg

I used 14 drywall anchors and added small rubber grommets, which added enough depth to make the anchors work better and also isolated the back panel nicely.

20150915_152122.jpg

Backing panel mounted

20150915_171251.jpg

Mocking up the table portion

20150915_172120.jpg

"finished"... I'm sure I'll be tweaking it as I start using it. Added a couple small sections of 3/4" rubber hose to keep the table from rattling when stowed.

20150915_185015.jpg

20150915_185038.jpg

20150915_182825.jpg

JCDriller

Adventurer
Built my own today! Thanks for all the inspiration in this thread. Made a 12" x 28" out of 1/2" Beech plywood. Cost was under $100. End result is 2" thick folded up. It's pretty rough and unfinished still, I'll probably take it apart and poly it.

I didn't want to drill any holes so I made a cardboard mockup and measured out the door hole pattern. It would've been nice if the jeep engineers punched a somewhat standard hole pattern into this thing.

20150915_145759.jpg

I used 14 drywall anchors and added small rubber grommets, which added enough depth to make the anchors work better and also isolated the back panel nicely.

20150915_152122.jpg

Backing panel mounted

20150915_171251.jpg

Mocking up the table portion

20150915_172120.jpg

"finished"... I'm sure I'll be tweaking it as I start using it. Added a couple small sections of 3/4" rubber hose to keep the table from rattling when stowed.

20150915_185015.jpg

20150915_185038.jpg

20150915_182825.jpg

Looks really nice! You did a great job taking advantage of the factory holes.

I've recently finished mine, I like the result.

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Looks really nice! You did a great job taking advantage of the factory holes.

I've recently finished mine, I like the result.

Thanks! Your setup really looks great all painted up.

Got some stain/poly on mine today. Had some hanging around from a coffee table project.

20150916_142636.jpg

Last edited:

shu2kill

I can't put photos up since I'm at work, but what I did was remove the spare tire carrier to gain access to the inside of the tailgate. I then got a stainless piano hinge, cut it to length and used stainless steel hardward (bolts, nuts & washers) to secure the piano hinge to the venting at the bottom of the door. I think I have something like 15 bolts with 1" washers on the back side. Getting some of the washers and nuts installed on the back is very tricky and some of them are impossible to get to, but in the end I can guarantee the piano hinge isn't coming off without taking the door skin with it.

Edited to add photos

It's all getting paint tomorrow.

You can see it folded up in this photo. Please ignore the paracord in the drawer, I hadn't installed the K&V slider latch yet.

nice! how do you keep it closed??

JCDriller

Adventurer
nice! how do you keep it closed??

In the painted picture you can see the silver thing on the left. That is actually the lock/unlock for the KV slider. You pull that handle and the drawer unlocks and opens. It locks half way or all the way open. When you want to close it you push on the handle, that unlocks the slider and allows it to close. I don't have any lock set up as it seems pointless because 1. It's wood 2. I lock it even with doors off to arm the alarm, if the tailgate opens it'll go off. If they can get around the alarm, the wooden box with a lock won't stop them.

Just incase your talking about the tail gate table, it uses 2 Neodymium magnets found here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UCS6IX8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00.

I initially installed all 4, but it was overkill unless I slammed the tailgate. Now even if I slam the tailgate the table can't fall due to the drawer.

shu2kill

In the painted picture you can see the silver thing on the left. That is actually the lock/unlock for the KV slider. You pull that handle and the drawer unlocks and opens. It locks half way or all the way open. When you want to close it you push on the handle, that unlocks the slider and allows it to close. I don't have any lock set up as it seems pointless because 1. It's wood 2. I lock it even with doors off to arm the alarm, if the tailgate opens it'll go off. If they can get around the alarm, the wooden box with a lock won't stop them.

Just incase your talking about the tail gate table, it uses 2 Neodymium magnets found here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UCS6IX8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00.

I initially installed all 4, but it was overkill unless I slammed the tailgate. Now even if I slam the tailgate the table can't fall due to the drawer.

thanx!! yes haha sorry, i was talking about the tailgate table... i used to have a drawer like yours on my YJ and then on my Xterra, but since now i sometimes sleep in the JKU, i cant have a drawer in there....

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas this week. Here's a tailgate table/trail table being shown there that fits JK and TJ tailgates. Should be on the market in Q1 2016.

StoreGate1_zpsjryvrk23.jpg

StoreGate2_zpscpolvrda.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94