JK expedition springs

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I am running Off road Evolution 3 inch coils with Sumo spring bump stops. Love the setup

With how much weight on board? Winch, and winch bumper? Fridge, water, and fuel for several days? This is the point of the OP's discussion of overload/heavy capacity springs.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I think airbags are ideal. Most people don't carry their weight all the time. If you build your rig for the weight, when its unloaded it, it is stiff and uncomfortable. This is why I am running the stock springs, with a teraflex boost, and airbags. When I load my rig, and put our camper on, I just air up, and my jeep sits correctly. when empty go to 5psi on the bags and they just take up space in the coil not really doing anything. IMO if your not crawling and needing MAX flex, the airlift 1000 kit is ideal for jeeps. and well any other rig too.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I think airbags are ideal. Most people don't carry their weight all the time. If you build your rig for the weight, when its unloaded it, it is stiff and uncomfortable. This is why I am running the stock springs, with a teraflex boost, and airbags. When I load my rig, and put our camper on, I just air up, and my jeep sits correctly. when empty go to 5psi on the bags and they just take up space in the coil not really doing anything. IMO if your not crawling and needing MAX flex, the airlift 1000 kit is ideal for jeeps. and well any other rig too.

That's starting to look like the ideal setup. Thanks for sharing.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

kojackJKU

No problem. Here is a breakdown of my compete setup.....I run the teraflex leveling system with 2" up front 1" in the rear. 18/59 springs...I think im going to 19/60s as Mine have 195,000 on them now, so I figure fresh springs will do some good. I added teraflex tie rod and drag link, Teraflex steering stabilizer, NAPA/SPICER/DANA GOLD ball joints and teraflex lower sport control arms to bring some drivability back to the jeep. It was very flighty and twitchy before those. I am running Monroe reflex monotube shocks listed for the rubicon, they are 1" longer front and rear compared to the stock sport shocks on my jeep. I then added the Airlift 1000 kit for the wrangler and finished it all off with 285/70/17 KOs on pro comp rockwell wheels. The entire suspension works great together. Weather I am loaded or empty, the jeep sits, rides, and handles the same no matter what. I am thinking about adding JKS flex connect swaybar links. I have read good thing about them...I don't disco because I really don't need to. Thats for rock crawlers.

You can see my on going build thread here, and get an idea of how she's sittin now. IMO keep it simple, and don't over think. I carefully chose my parts because 1. it was simple, 2. it was affordable, but makes a huge difference, 3. It ticked off all the boxes I needed.

Greg@RME

Adventurer
I've been running the Teraflex Outback springs with their 9550 shocks on my JKU for over a year now, on big trips it gets loaded up pretty heavy. I wish I would have weighed it before our Baja trip, but I did not. I'm very impressed with the Outback spring on a loaded JKU, they support the weight well and don't sag like a normal lift spring would. These Outback springs are beefy too, much larger coil diameter than other coils. Unloaded, the ride is pretty firm... if you hit a pothole or expansion joint you feel it. Despite that, if you hit a big roller (dip) on the freeway unloaded the Outback springs are still compliant enough to soak that up and react with a firm, controlled reaction. With a loaded up JK (even a couple hundred pounds) the ride is much better.

If you've seen my Baja trip report or my build thread, you've probably seen this pic.-

PB264853-L.jpg

I was loaded very heavy, too much weight IMO (the Jeep was a bit top-heavy)...but the springs supported it all well. Starting out we had 10 gallons of gas on the roof, 12 gallons of water, a small propane tank, CO2 tank, camping stove & related gear all on the roof. Inside we had tools, camping gear (tent, sleeping bags, clothing, etc) freezer/fridge, food, bottled water, etc. Plus a 2 gallon Rotopax on the tailgate, spare, Trasharoo. That is also on top of the aftermarket bumpers, sliders, winch, roof rack, etc. (This reminds me, I need to cut down on our packed weight!)

Offroad with lots of weight the suspension is plush at speed, one of the days in Baja we were driving for about 3 hrs in sand and running as high as 55-65 MPH... the Jeep with a heavy load was composed, yet compliant. I was actually impressed how well it handled fast dirt road driving, of course we were aired down to around 22-24 PSI so that helped.

So what I really like about the Teraflex Outback suspension system is how it includes their Speed Bumps. These are basically similar in function to Air Bumps used on desert racers, but less expensive and maintenance-free. If you're really working your Jeep hard at speed and hit an unexpected wash/hole/bump the Speed Bumps act like a secondary spring, slowing the uptraveling axle down and making for a smooth hit rather than an jarring hit. They're really quite impressive and work well for this kind of task.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Agree with everything greg said...If you are only useing your jeep loaded the outback setup is AWESOME. but if you are DD your jeep, then I think, IMO, it's too stiff.

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Agree with everything greg said...If you are only useing your jeep loaded the outback setup is AWESOME. but if you are DD your jeep, then I think, IMO, it's too stiff.

I don't know that I would say that myself, I have daily driven my JKU for a couple months after my DD was totaled this Spring and it's not that bad. It's just a more firm ride, which I actually prefer. IMO a heavier spring helps make up for the higher center of gravity of a lifted 4x4 with larger tires.

I have had a couple Toyotas with Old Man Emu 'Heavy' springs and I would say it's similar. The ride is simply more firm, but it becomes comfortable with some additional weight.

I think everyone will have different preferences, but we all try to build our rigs to work well for what we need 75-80% of the time.

Last edited:

harv3589

Adventurer

I've had the Teraflex Outback lift on my jeep for a week now and it's completely unloaded...I like the ride actually, not to stiff IMO. You do feel the bumps a bit more but not much. Impressed so far! I'm running Prodigy shocks...

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I had the same issue. The AEV 3.5" rear coils work well. They compress a bit more than I'd like so I'm adding a 1/2" spacer and airlift airbags. Doesn't ARB make a 4" coil now?

This is the AEV 3.5 springs with 35" BFG KO2s while pretty loaded. I'm only loaded for 1 person and a dog. But it's still pretty heavy: 4g water, 5lb propane tank, cargo drawers, fridge, 3/4 tank of gas, skids, sliders, AEV tire carrier, trasharoo, recovery bag, spare fluids, tools, dual batteries, winch, etc. The spring rate can handle it fine. But since the springs are progressive, the rear ones saf about 1/2" when loaded. AEV recommended adding the spacer to compensate without screwing up the relationship between the front and spring rates and shocks.

29018038973_6450c40d5f_c.jpg

Last edited:

Jeeper4life

Adventurer
I run OME 2619 front and 2618 rear. I got 3 1/4" in front and 3" in rear. I may change to 2620 rear in the future since my Jeep has got heavier with the Gobi and RTT.

Here's mine on a recent 3 day trip. I'm running 315/70R17

Very nice! I'm gonna be putting those same springs on mine. Are your tires pretty much 35's?

Yuke

Adventurer
I am going with teraflex outback. 3 inch with 250lb per spring rating so 500 total.

Also adding airlift 1000 airbags just in case

Greg@RME

Adventurer
I am going with teraflex outback. 3 inch with 250lb per spring rating so 500 total.

Also adding airlift 1000 airbags just in case

:bigok:

I think you'll be happy with the Outback springs, IMO I don't think the air bags will be needed with those springs.

Yuke

Adventurer
:bigok:

I think you'll be happy with the Outback springs, IMO I don't think the air bags will be needed with those springs.

I am running standard 2.5 springs now with a 1 inch spacer they sent me when I complained about sagging. I can't wait to get these in. After they are in I will determine if I need to bump my front 2.5s up to 3 or if it sits how I want. I like a little rake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior