JK Comprehensive Spares List

X-plorenow

Adventurer
So what should we include in a comprehensive spares kit, to support a lengthy self supported expedition. What is the core list of parts we should consider, whether based on severity / importance, known weaknesses of the platform etc. Thought that it would be interesting to get everyone's perspective on this.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I posed the same question on the Rubicon owner's forum and didn't get much play there in terms of spares. Be cautious with the skinny pedal and bring the fluids that go in the machine, the means to add then, and some jb weld to make sure they stay in.

Septu

Explorer
Really depends on what you do on this expo. If you're wheeling out there alone, it's going to be a different list than if you're just exploring on FSRs and whatnot. While wheeling, I've only ever broken 2 things - front DS and front u-joint. DS I pulled and had a ***** of a time getting out (had to get towed through damn near everything), and u-joint I drove out on (however was a very mild trail out). Wrecked the axle shaft, and had to replace a ton of stuff in the wheel assembly, etc. But I made it out under my own power (and my winch). Typically I just pack fluids.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
Those little plastic clips for the transfer case shifter. I carry one in the glove box however, I feel since I carry it, the original one will never break. I also have a spare serp. belt, plethora of fuses, oil filter and the normal replacement fluids.

DesertJK

Adventurer
75,000 miles of wheeling and pulling my VRV light weight toy hauler and nothing has broke.
I have been trying to figure out what spares to bring on long trips, so far I have a quart of oil, some .040 and .060 safety wire, tools, some nuts and bolts (they were with the tools from when I had a Rover) and some light bulbs.
Never used any of it except the light bulbs.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I would concentrate on things that will help you get back to town.....

-PRINTED FSM in the vehicle at all times.
-Code reader, see the FSM for details on the codes
-Serpentine belt, that fails and your pretty much dead in the water theses days....alternator, power steering, maybe the cooling fan, etc.
-Upper radiator hose and/or a wrap kit
-Some spare fluids, but not a complete change of fluids. I suggest ATF, engine oil, and gear lube...maybe some blinker fluid ;)

-A decent but not extensive tool kit. Its far to easy to go overkill. Look as what spare parts you carry, determine the tools needed for those repairs, throw in a few universal tools for 'what-if' type stuff.
You can do a LOT with a little IF you HAVE to.....

Specific to the JK....

-Have the ability to pull the front axle shafts and remove the front driveline. Ideally having spare front shafts would be good, but for the weight I would upgrade to alloy or CV units if your that worried about it. I am pretty sure the JK uses a captured unit bearing in front that does not require the axle to be bolted in place like the older TJ/XJ unit bearings? If you pop a front axle u-joint it will most likely stretch the ears out so a replacement joint really isn't much of an option on the trail. You should probably pull the outer shaft and joint out to keep from further destroying the shaft and having it be almost impossible to remove later. Then wire/ziptie/tie the inner shaft(s) in place to keep the gear lube in the differential. You can still use 3WD if you have a locker in the front if that will help get you out. Or you can remove both outer shafts. On a TJ you use to have to keep the outer axle stub shaft in place to pre-load the bearings, what a pain in the rear.

-Be able to remove the driveshafts. The is very helpful when dealing with front end locker, axle, or ring and pinion issues.

-The rear axle is pretty durable. Bent flanges are the most common problem but the vehicle will still remain mobile. Popping the driveshaft at the pinion yoke is another one I have seen more than once. Basically tag a rock just right and that joint can see a lot of stress. Being able to remove the rear driveshaft is handy for limping off the train in FWD. The JK uses a CV joint in the driveshafts for the most part, that might be a field replaceable part but I haven't seen anyone swap one out on the trail.

If I was going to be REALLY prepared....

-Fuel pump. It never goes out right up until it does. I have seen a few vehicles take hard impacts in the fuel tank that killed the fuel pump deader than dead. Our Audi fuel pump decided it didn't want to work anymore the other day...just stopped dead. Left us stranded in a nice little cell-phoneless canyon on the way home. Only lasted 190K that dang thing!

In general most modern vehicles when rather new and maintained wall are VERY dependable. I would be more worried about damage from an extreme situation off road. Axles, brake lines, driveshaft, etc.

Xodius

Adventurer
In mine I carry a tool kit, serp belt, spare fluids, jack, tire patch kit(just in case), food, water, jacket, extra ammo, knife, bungee cords and more ammo. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaxs1984

Adventurer
I'm always concerned that even if I brought all the spare parts I wouldn't know how to change/ fix it. I have the basics covered like changing tires, oil, etc.. But, honestly if an axle broke or my clutch went south. I would have no idea how to fix it even if I had the manual and parts.
I do keep a minium of 7 days of survival gear in my Jeep at all times. (food, water, fire, shelter, gas and clothes) I figure I would just wait it out or something.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm always concerned that even if I brought all the spare parts I wouldn't know how to change/ fix it. I have the basics covered like changing tires, oil, etc.. But, honestly if an axle broke or my clutch went south. I would have no idea how to fix it even if I had the manual and parts.
I do keep a minium of 7 days of survival gear in my Jeep at all times. (food, water, fire, shelter, gas and clothes) I figure I would just wait it out or something.

Learn?

It's not THAT hard really to do stuff like an axle shaft, belts, etc. A clutch in the boonies is probably a bit of a stretch in general, pour some Coke on it and hope for the best....

D

Deleted member 48574

I bring plenty of spare fuses. It's amazing how often I've had catastrophic electrical issues in other rigs that were fixed by swapping a fuse. Small, cheap, and lightweight!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior