JK aux fuel tank

Longy

Nice write up and good to see our tanks all round the world helping people get to where they would rather be :1888fbbd:

There is also a HD (heavy duty version availble with a 4mm plate fully welded on the bottom of the tank. This gives a total thicknes of 6mm

Scroll down to teh last pic to see an animation of the extra plate
http://www.thelongranger.com.au/ta64pa/morepics.html

Cheers
Ric
the longranger tank designer

JPK

Explorer
Nice write up and good to see our tanks all round the world helping people get to where they would rather be :1888fbbd:

There is also a HD (heavy duty version availble with a 4mm plate fully welded on the bottom of the tank. This gives a total thicknes of 6mm

Scroll down to teh last pic to see an animation of the extra plate
http://www.thelongranger.com.au/ta64pa/morepics.html

Cheers
Ric
the longranger tank designer

I just installed the Long Ranger tank in my JK Unlimited. It works great!

I needed to modify my exhaust some since my Jeep has a Hemi in it, and also a rear differential skid, but the instal was pretty straight forward according to the guys that did it for me.

Unfotunately, you all came out with your armored tank shortly after I received my tank from Austalia, through ARB. So I has a skid plate put over it. I had mine made of 1/4" aluminum since I'm not a hard core rock crawler and I wanted to keep the weight down.

Very pleased with the tank! Gives me almost 500 mile range on the road.

JPK

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I only wish there was a aux tank for the 2006 LJ unlimited. It could be about twice as big as the TJ version or at least 50% bigger. Maybe I should see if Long Ranger could make me a custom tank.

JPK

Explorer
GenRight makes a replacement tank that holds an extra 5gals and fits where the stock tank is, if that helps.

They also make a 20gal tank that would occupy the rear cargo area and might be able to be installed so that it comes out when not needed.

JPK

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
JPK,

I don't want to get this thread too far off the Longer Ranger topic, but you are correct. I already have the 32gal tank for LJ's, but would love to add another 15+ with a Long Ranger.

Cooldanish

Long Ranger Aux Fuel fitment for new 2012 JKU.

As most people know the new 2012 Jeep Wrangler have the new Pentastar engine and it also have an extra "pre-muffler". Have Long Ranger looked at whether the tank will still fit or if one have to do exhaust modification?

Septu

Explorer
Out of curiosity, what's the price tag for this (for the JK)? I didn't see that listed on the website.

JDaPP

Adventurer
As most people know the new 2012 Jeep Wrangler have the new Pentastar engine and it also have an extra "pre-muffler". Have Long Ranger looked at whether the tank will still fit or if one have to do exhaust modification?

I see on the long ranger website is says it does not fit 2012 gas vehicles. Does anyone know why and if it is possible to modify the 2012 to accept the tank?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Funny I was looking at this thread last night...

The 2012+ has the evap canister (easily relocated) but the exhaust has a resonator in this location. IF that is the only issue the resonator could be removed and a new exhaust fabricated, I assume? I'd be curious if that was the only reason.

Last edited:

lysol

Explorer
One question I can't seem to find a lot of information on. Regarding the fuel transfer itself, is there an auto-shut off once the primary tank is full? If you activate the fuel transfer and the primary tank fills up before you emptied the auxiliary tank, what happens?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
One question I can't seem to find a lot of information on. Regarding the fuel transfer itself, is there an auto-shut off once the primary tank is full? If you activate the fuel transfer and the primary tank fills up before you emptied the auxiliary tank, what happens?
I'm not 100% positive, but nearly that . . . The main and aux tanks are filled with a common filler neck, so if you pumped enough to completely fill the main tank, the fuel would just dribble back into the aux tank.

lysol

Explorer
I'm not 100% positive, but nearly that . . . The main and aux tanks are filled with a common filler neck, so if you pumped enough to completely fill the main tank, the fuel would just dribble back into the aux tank.

That's what I was thinking. I had asked LRA in the past regarding their tank for the WK2 and they said that it would take about 30 minutes total to transfer the entire auxilliary tank into the primary.

I've NEVER seen any documentation on the behavior of the transfer process itself.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I had asked LRA in the past regarding their tank for the WK2 and they said that it would take about 30 minutes total to transfer the entire auxiliary tank into the primary.
That's a good estimate; the pump doesn't exactly flood the fuel into the aux tank. However, it's also a pleasant process, with no drama, and you don't have to watch it every second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior