Jerry cans and heat

80sailor

Looking to get a couple of cans for diesel to put up on my Frontrunner rack.

It's currently hot as heck here in Texas and I'm not sure how safe it is to keep the cans on the roof in 100+ deg. heat for extended drive time through the desert to Big Bend. Would love any input on this if possible.

Also, thoughts on type of can? Rotopax? Valpro? Others?

Thanks in advance.

2.ooohhh

68767-e292052cb74c40c8a54cd07226dc5231.jpg

So image above is a pair of my wavian jerry cans, can on left is filled to the brim, can on right is full to spec(the line on the can). This was on my roof rack on a 100+ degree day. Neither leaked a drop of fuel but had the full can been in a tight holder it may have been unremovable without opening or allowing to cool off. Shows they work best when used as intended but can generally withstand the minor abuse of overfilling in error.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I filled my Scepter MFC's, and when I had NATO cans, with only 4.5 gallons to deal with heat expansion. Also, I would only refuel in the cool mornings.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Others have covered the heat issue, but I don't want to let the other part of this slide by - are you SURE you want to put that much weight up high?

10 gallons of diesel is ~71lbs, plus ~10lbs for each jerry can, empty. By the time you get it strapped down, you're close to 100lbs. You didn't say which vehicle, but if it's your Rover, between the fuel and the Front Runner rack, you'd basically use ALL of the factory rated roof payload just for the cans.

I get it, we've all put fuel up there at some point - some trips you just need that extra insurance or whatever. Having done it a couple of times, I know I don't want to keep doing it. Since you're at the stage where you're asking about heat, you might as well consider all the other variables to worry about.

Alloy

***It doesn't matter how full or empty or if they are in the sun or shade the cans need to be vented regularly.

The less full the cans are the more they need venting.

80sailor

Others have covered the heat issue, but I don't want to let the other part of this slide by - are you SURE you want to put that much weight up high?

10 gallons of diesel is ~71lbs, plus ~10lbs for each jerry can, empty. By the time you get it strapped down, you're close to 100lbs. You didn't say which vehicle, but if it's your Rover, between the fuel and the Front Runner rack, you'd basically use ALL of the factory rated roof payload just for the cans.

I get it, we've all put fuel up there at some point - some trips you just need that extra insurance or whatever. Having done it a couple of times, I know I don't want to keep doing it. Since you're at the stage where you're asking about heat, you might as well consider all the other variables to worry about.

Weight up high is definitely on the consideration list. Also the fact that getting 30lb+ cans up and down easily is no mean feat. My preference is to keep them in the back of the truck if space permits. I'm just trying to get all of the info I can first.

Superduty

Adventurer
Type of can:

Scepter MFC. I'm yet to see anything better.

If they are good enough for the US (and many other) military then they are good enough for our use. They were used in in the middle east heat and i never heard of them being problematic.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior