Jeep to F150 HD SCREW...

p nut

butter
I've been working on a new F150 after coming from a Tacoma.

I'm getting a Mule rack from Expedition One. It's mostly a direct fit, but instead of bolting it to the bed sides directly, I'm going to install some aircraft L track. (The weight goes on the bed rails, the L track only keeps it in place.

For an ecoboost, I think the best option is the Warn Gen 2 Trans4mer. It's the only winch mount that specifically states it's good with the ecoboost. The rest block the intercooler.

I don't think any new vehicle is good in the rain with the windows open. My tacoma wasn't, and the Ford seems just as bad. Another issue with the Ford is it has a wide shelf for snow to collect on. I've had the window freeze up once or twice. (Not to mention the door locks, which is a known issue being covered by Ford...You just have to complain about it and they're replacing some of the latch mechanism)

I miss the Tacoma's shorter wheel base and easy maneuvering. I've got the 4-door short bed F150, and the thing is a real beast. That 3.5 ecoboost sure is nice though, no lack of power even at high altitudes.

It's been cold here (in UT), but I've not had issues with the windows freezing. And fortunately, no issues with the doors. The Ford's much bigger than my old Tacoma's, but it's been a good move. That boost kicking in going up Parley's is fun!

MR. ED

Observer
I just got a sport hi liner for my truck and it's pretty nice. I went ahead and ordered the sportsman package(500lb weight rating), pet screens, and Yakima rack. I didn't want the flip down front window because I have a solid rear window but it came with it and a little slider. I also have the Bilsteins set up 1 notch from the top with 255/80/17 tires and I never rub. Good luck and enjoy your new truck.

wanabxtrm

Observer
Picked up the truck today. Quite happy with it. Took it past the scale and the door stickers line up fairly well with reality. I'll have over 2k in payload to play with. I'll try to throw a pic or two up here in the near future.

Mr.Ed- how much higher than the cab roof is your hi-liner? I can't find a spec listed anywhere on the net and am worried about overall height (with a roof rack) I'm leaning more toward the hi liner, similar setup w/sportsman package.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Have a look at the leer truck caps with some well selected accessories. As for rear storage, I would use a bed slide system. so you can just use action packers etc, When needed you can still keep your full truck bed for when it's needed. I am going to be getting a leer, with flip up side windows, roof rack, Leer Locker and full carpet interior.

D45

Explorer
I would personally highly suggest staying away from Leer, I had Leer caps on you different trucks

Both developed corner cracks and the windows leaks........nothing was covered under warranty

I will only buy and suggest ARE products, much better product and much better customer service

D45

Explorer
IMG_20160910_084056_zpsa6alyooy.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Funny D45, I had the exact opposite experience here. Ran Action caps here, went with leer after many issues with the action brand caps. Never had an issue with leer. and we have **** weather.

MR. ED

Observer
The hi liner sits about 6 inches higher than the cab. It's flush where they meet by the upper brake light then transitions higher. I think it looks great. With 33 inch tires the top of the rack sits at about 7 feet 1 inch. Hope this helps.

wanabxtrm

Observer
Looks good... how many miles has that 3.5 seen? Any issues?

Went past the Local ARE dealer as well. Felt like he was more straightforward then the snug top guy. Still up in the air between the two. The snugtop/are both seam better quality then the leer. Snugtop doesn't have any east coast presence, and I'll likely be moving back that way here in 12 months, which causes some hesitation. I like their options over ARE though. Probably mull on it. A few more days before making my decision.

D45

Explorer
My truck is a mid year 2012 build and only has 37,000 miles on it

I bought it around September of 2015 with 17,500 miles on it

Only issues are that it eats Iridium spark plugs.........I change them once a year. They are only $36 for a set and takes under 30 minutes. Very easy to work on

The other issue is a constant clunk from the front end......somewhere. I need to get under there and check the front diff mounting bolts, I guess they can loosen and cause the front end to clunk all the time

I don't think that traction in the snow is good with these trucks, at all..........maybe the power to weight ratio is too much?

p nut

butter
My truck is a mid year 2012 build and only has 37,000 miles on it

I bought it around September of 2015 with 17,500 miles on it

Only issues are that it eats Iridium spark plugs.........I change them once a year. They are only $36 for a set and takes under 30 minutes. Very easy to work on

The other issue is a constant clunk from the front end......somewhere. I need to get under there and check the front diff mounting bolts, I guess they can loosen and cause the front end to clunk all the time

I don't think that traction in the snow is good with these trucks, at all..........maybe the power to weight ratio is too much?

Could be weight, but I've not had any issues. Of course, if I'm in 2WD, I get sideways pretty easy, but in 4WD has been solid.

wanabxtrm

Observer
Topper roof rack and bed drawers?

Just ordered a new topper! Snugtop hi-liner, it'll be a month or so before it shows up. I guess if nothing else it gives time to mull over the top and interior options.

I'm considering buying a rhino rack platform for it, as I can get a good deal and they're made locally here in CO. That said I hadn't heard of them previously. Anyone have any use experience? Long term durability?

Also looking for input on diy drawers. Some good build threads I've found but few long term reflections. I.e...I wish I would have done...

Cheers!

wanabxtrm

Observer
Half way to a winch

Ordered front hitch's and a curt winch tray from e-trailer the other day. After much debate and research I figured a portable winch will give me more bang for the buck as I can swap between vehicles, and I've had a need for a front hitch receiver in the past. Still need to settle on a winch though; I had an engo on the jeep, and while they're customer service was awesome (replacments no questions asked) after a few solenoid failures I am probably going to look at something different.

Leaning toward spending the money on a warn or superwinch at this point. Happy to hear opinions, but don't need to open up a debate.

Also found out that bed bath and beyound carries Clam shelters, so used one of their 20% off's to order their quick set pavilion. Still have concerns about its size (to big?) but knew I didn't want an ez up style, and this seamed to fit the bill after debating between an awning on the car trailer vs a popup shelter.

Fysa this is the cabelas version, but they're pretty much identical, other than some awning poles and grommets which I can add for less than the price differential.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac1SMWbS7us

wanabxtrm

Observer
Got the screen shelter in the other day, after erecting it, ended up returning it for the cabellas version. The clam version has windows in the 'wind' panels which I can see wind and water coming through. The one I received had a few other minor issues too. And lastly given the flex of the poles I thought having the cabelas lifetime warranty was worth the small price differential.

For what it's worth it's closer to a yurt than anything else, good quality, and does literally set up with one person in about a minute (minus tying it down).

Got the curt front hitches in (order one for both the f150 and the sequoia) and got both on in under an hour. Don't lose any ground clearance on the f150, though maybe a few degrees of approach angle (though you'd rip the front air dam off at that point). Sequoia is about a 1/2" or so loss and a few more degrees than the f150.

Ended up ordering a 12.5 superwinch after I saw that they were on sale direct, and then found out that they offer a military discount if you call and talk to them (which they included on top of the sale price!). Worked out to be a great deal.

Should get the winch and topper in later this week, at which point I'll snap a few pics.

wanabxtrm

Observer
Got some new additions!
babde207680914ce7893ad62019ad475.jpg

Snugtop hiliner with the vented windoors. Glad I got the extra height-gives a full 4' inside.

eb85ea2a994a54770fcf866762e0dd44.jpg

Still need to wire the truck up, but impressed with the overall quality so far.
c1dd7a92e85640eee7b7dfec159969af.jpg

Tray slides to the middle hole of the three on the receiver
0cffef2d74a5fad74ad2bd22c572ff9e.jpg
, may make the first hole if I trim the handles, as they start contacting the bumper black areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior