Jeep lineup in the next few years

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
^ yeah, yeah..... They've been teasing and taunting us with that for almost a decade now. I say build it or ******** Feep! :(

haven

Expedition Leader
With a redesign of the Wrangler coming in 2015, I'm sure we'll see plenty of special edition Wranglers in 2014. Gotta keep the buying public interested, and their wallets open!

The article that Frank links to in the post above is disturbing. Chrysler management is trying to decide between a midsize pickup based on the Wrangler, and one based on a Fiat chassis. Four door pickups are a big part of the market these days. But a four door pickup based on the Wrangler chassis would create breakover clearance problems because of its long wheelbase. The Wrangler faithful would complain that the pickup wasn't a true Wrangler.

AEV addresses the breakover issue on its Brute double cab pickup by adding a suspension lift and taller tires
Brute-DoKa-1.jpg

I doubt this is a workable solution for a production vehicle.

Chrysler is profitable these days, but they don't have cash to spend on a low volume vehicle like a two door Wrangler pickup. If the pickup were based on the Fiat chassis used for the new Liberty, they could sell a four door model without worrying about the reaction from the old school Jeep owners. They could also sell the small pickup as a Dodge.

Frank

Explorer
I 100% agree, Haven. Its totally disturbing to me that Jeep will base a vehicle on a Fiat chassis. The unfortunate part, all they have to do is claim some awesome MPG and produce a commercial that shows a soccer mom putting kids into it, and they will sell thousands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

haven

Expedition Leader
And they don't have enough money to continue to support teams running Dodge in NASCAR...

Jeep is already selling all the Wranglers they can build in the Toledo plant. Adding a new pickup means either cutting down on the number of standard Wranglers they build, or building the pickup in some other plant. The new Liberty (or whatever they plan to call it) will be based on a modified Fiat chassis. The assembly line that builds the Liberty has plenty of capacity to build the pickup.

In the long term, Jeep needs to build a new factory for the Wrangler to keep up with worldwide demand. But that won't happen between now and the 2015 model year, when the redesigned Wrangler will be released. Work on the pickup design has to be completed in the next 12 months for it to have a prayer of appearing in the 2015 model year.

haven

Expedition Leader
Allpar is reporting a rumor that the Patriot and Compass will continue in current form for the 2014 model year. Dealers will be able to order the 2014s starting this week.
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/01/conventional-automatic-compass-patriot-coming-soon

The big change for 2014 is the elimination of the continuously variable transmission (CVT), in favor of a conventional six speed automatic. Engines are expected to be updated versions of the 2.0L and 2.4L four cylinder gas engines, as found in the Dodge Dart compact sedan. The Dart is built in the same plant as the Compass and Patriot.

No word yet on a "trail rated" version of the Compass for 2014.

SouthPawXJ

Observer
Allpar is reporting a rumor that the Patriot and Compass will continue in current form for the 2014 model year. Dealers will be able to order the 2014s starting this week.
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/01/conventional-automatic-compass-patriot-coming-soon

The big change for 2014 is the elimination of the continuously variable transmission (CVT), in favor of a conventional six speed automatic. Engines are expected to be updated versions of the 2.0L and 2.4L four cylinder gas engines, as found in the Dodge Dart compact sedan. The Dart is built in the same plant as the Compass and Patriot.

They are NOT eliminating the CVT. From the reliable insider oh2o on allpar.com,

*** Was just told today that the Patriot/Compass will still retain the CVT2... the 6F24 6-speed auto trans will be an available option. ***

http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/...matic”compass-patriot-coming-soon/?p=11314413

It appears (at least how I'm reading it) that the automatic will be for FWD or AWD, but the "Trail Rated" CVT will stay around for the Freedom Drive II.

Last edited:

BillTex

Adventurer

Will there be a trail rated Dart?

SouthPawXJ

Observer
Will there be a trail rated Dart?

The new Liberty/Cherokee replacement (KL?) will be on the same platform as the Dart. So, kinda.

It is important to note: a platform (in this case) is a set of dimensions used for manufacturing. That doesn't mean they will necessarily share suspension bits though.

I'm not real optimistic for the coming KL. Jeep's CEO said the previous Liberty was too capable...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier