Jeep Gladiator Build Thread - 18 months around Australia with The Road Chose Me

Vinman

Observer
A couple of questions now that you’ve been out for awhile.
Are you still happy with the swag over your previous sleep arrangements?
And did you get a chance to weigh the Jeep now thats it’s fully equipped and if so, are you still within rated GVWR?

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
A couple of questions now that you’ve been out for awhile.
Are you still happy with the swag over your previous sleep arrangements?
Overall the swag is great. It's pretty light, it's durable, affordable and it just works.
I really wanted to do this trip in a swag because that is the Aussie way, and it felt like a "when in Rome" moment.
It's obviously not as comfortable for sleeping as the pop-up I had for Africa, but it's also nearly $10k cheaper.
And did you get a chance to weigh the Jeep now thats it’s fully equipped and if so, are you still within rated GVWR?

Yep, fully outfitted it's sitting right on the rated GVWR, which is 3050kg here in Australia (6725lbs).
It's almost 500lbs heavier than my Africa JK was, but of course it's also much bigger, carries more fuel, water and food, etc.

Overall I'm extremely happy with it - it's been flawless and taken me to the most remote corners of Australia. Can't ask for much more than that!

-Dan

Vinman

Observer
Overall the swag is great. It's pretty light, it's durable, affordable and it just works.
I really wanted to do this trip in a swag because that is the Aussie way, and it felt like a "when in Rome" moment.
It's obviously not as comfortable for sleeping as the pop-up I had for Africa, but it's also nearly $10k cheaper.

Yep, fully outfitted it's sitting right on the rated GVWR, which is 3050kg here in Australia (6725lbs).
It's almost 500lbs heavier than my Africa JK was, but of course it's also much bigger, carries more fuel, water and food, etc.

Overall I'm extremely happy with it - it's been flawless and taken me to the most remote corners of Australia. Can't ask for much more than that!

-Dan
Ha! I forgot all about the ”when in Rome” thing, makes perfect sense.

Also great that you managed to keep it within GVWR, I know you were always conscience of the weight of things you were adding so good to see the effort pay off.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Ha! I forgot all about the ”when in Rome” thing, makes perfect sense.

Also great that you managed to keep it within GVWR, I know you were always conscience of the weight of things you were adding so good to see the effort pay off.

Having just done the hardest 4x4ing of my life, I'm extremely happy I kept the weight down (both minimizing it and keeping it low on the vehicle). The Gladiator performed brilliantly, and I'm sure it would have been different if it was top heavy and another 1000+lbs like many overland builds turn out to be.

-Dan

Vinman

Observer
Having just done the hardest 4x4ing of my life, I'm extremely happy I kept the weight down (both minimizing it and keeping it low on the vehicle). The Gladiator performed brilliantly, and I'm sure it would have been different if it was top heavy and another 1000+lbs like many overland builds turn out to be.

-Dan
Yeah, we see so many overland builds that are so bloody heavy it makes me wonder how they manage to not constantly wear out or break driveline or suspension components.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi all,

Driving the Old Tele Track with a rag tag team of adventurers was a whole lot of fun - not only did we make new friends and have a lot of laughs, we also got to compare vastly different vehicles.

In the latest YouTube episode I showcase the vehicles we drove the Tele with, running around each one to highlight the features I like the most, and what we can learn from each vehicle to apply to our own setups.
I really enjoying seeing how other people have outfitted their vehicles, and thinking about how I can incorporate some of the best and well thought out features into my future vehicles and adventures.

Overland Rides - VDJ78 Land Cruiser / HZJ75 Land Cruiser / GU Nissan Patrol

Which one of these vehicles would you have and why?

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi all,

On this week's episode we're exploring the remote "Gulf Country" across the top of Australia.
We find wild and remote hot springs, paddle in a stunning gorge, drive on plenty of dusty and corrugated remote roads and venture into what might be the most stunning rock formations I've ever seen.

The distances are HUGE up here and I'm extremely thankful for the aux fuel tank, without which we'd be filling up with $2.90/L gas ($7.48USD/Gal) often! Having such a long range means I can skip the smaller expensive ones and only fill up every 600 miles at the big cheaper stations.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi Everyone,

The Top End of Australia was everything I always dreamed it would be - hot, remote & dusty.
But it's also so much more!
There are plenty of stunning waterfalls to explore, crocs to dodge and wild places to camp.
This is the land of "Crocodile Dundee" from my memories and it absolutely did not disappoint!

Checkout all our adventures in the latest video, on YouTube now:

We've also rolled over 40,000kms on this adventure, with plenty more to come!
(That's about 25k miles)

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

Katie and I learned of a "Secret Spring" in a remote location with waterfalls, swimming and some cool 4x4ing required to get in there.

This sounded like the perfect adventure for us, so we set out to see what was out there, and I filmed this episode about it.

Locals have sworn me to secrecy on this one, sothe goal of this video is to inspire you to get out on your own "Secret Spring" adventure!

I hope you enjoy seeing more of wild and remote Australia

-Dan

Zybane

Very cool videos, been going through them. It's amazing how large Australia is. Definitely some more remote areas than the US has, besides maybe Alaska.

Dan
Love the trip and the vids. Just picked up a Gladiator and you are inspiring this Land Rover 110 guy to give the Jeep a run. Thanks for doing what you clearly love and for sharing.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi Everyone,

The Gibb River Road in Northern Westeern Australia might actually be the pinnacle of remote long-distance 4x4 travel.
It certain is in the top five routes I've ever done in my life.

With tons to see and do, this was an epic 8 day trip that we won't soon forget
Join us as we take you on a journey that is 1300km long! (800mi)

-Dan

wild1

Adventurer

-Dan
Are you running the AEV 2.5 rear springs or did you stick with the 3.5 inch? Glad to see the Gladiator is doing so well we sure like ours.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Are you running the AEV 2.5 rear springs or did you stick with the 3.5 inch? Glad to see the Gladiator is doing so well we sure like ours.

For the Gladiator (and JL) AEV have the 2.5" with "regular load" springs or "heavy load" springs.
The "heavy load" *may* give a bit more lift and work out to something like 3".

I tired the "heavy load" and for my weight (right on GVWR), and 33s, they were very stiff and gave even a touch more than 3" of lift, which was too much for Australia's laws and my needs.

So now I'm running the 2.5" kit with the "regular load" springs and it has been absolutely perfect for my needs. It drives better than stock, flexes more than any other vehicle you can buy in Australia, and I've never had to give it one second of attention since I installed it 40,000kms (25,000 miles) ago.
It has been perfect for my needs.

-Dan

wild1

Adventurer
For the Gladiator (and JL) AEV have the 2.5" with "regular load" springs or "heavy load" springs.
The "heavy load" *may* give a bit more lift and work out to something like 3".

I tired the "heavy load" and for my weight (right on GVWR), and 33s, they were very stiff and gave even a touch more than 3" of lift, which was too much for Australia's laws and my needs.

So now I'm running the 2.5" kit with the "regular load" springs and it has been absolutely perfect for my needs. It drives better than stock, flexes more than any other vehicle you can buy in Australia, and I've never had to give it one second of attention since I installed it 40,000kms (25,000 miles) ago.
It has been perfect for my needs.

-Dan
Thanks, the 2.5 should be perfect for us as well. Safe travels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior