Jeep Expedition Kitchen DIY

Zeep

Adventurer
Hi everyone I have some changes I want to make to this and am building a new one this winter ... any ideas you have for it would be awesome. What are your must haves for a drawer jeep kitchen in your mind?

I would add some type of hard top surface on the table top, to prevent bacteria.

Honu

lost on the mainland
great vid :) your hammock looks as if it is stretched to tight though :) lay diagonal more and loose it up way more comfy :) lots of info https://www.hammockforums.net

nice to see inverted aeropress :) best way to do it for sure

Last edited:

alsmith

Observer
Jeep Kitchen Version 2 ready for prototype :)

After using the original in the video at the beginning of this thread for a season I am making version 2

I foul some challenges with the original design. The fridge and the stove got in each others way with the configuration I had and the prep surface although large was not as sturdy as it should be with lots on it and being made of wood it was hard to clean.

I have now redesigned it to all be made out of sheet metal with a stainless prep surface. Here are a few images with explanations. I would love your input as I value this communities feed back.

I have broken it down into a left and right section with the left section being the fridge (the big grey box in this image) and the right section (which is actually 3 separate modules) two storage drawers and a cooking drawer (on the bottom)

Feb 28 - Jeep Kitchen Assembled System Closed.jpg

When you pull the stove out it also pulls out a stainless prep surface with a little sink :) It is designed to fit most stoves and then shown here is a large colman dual fuel stove. (green box)

Feb 28 - Jeep Kitchen Assembled System Stove Open.jpg

The fridge is also on sliders and I have built an enclosure around it so that I can still pile stuff up against the sides and on top of it and it have the ventilation it needs. This picture shows the fridge and two storage drawers also extended.

Feb 28 - Jeep Kitchen Assembled System Open.jpg

All four parts are bolted together and then bolted to the floor of the jeep where the bolt downs are so ti won't go anywhere and can take the cantilevered loads from all the surfaces. The drawers all lock in and out with a special locking mechanism I designed to save weight over the locking drawer slides.

Jan24-DrawerLock.jpg

I'm also working on two storage cubby holes to put on top one on the fridge and one on the other drawers to store stuff in that look like this...

Jan25-StorageBins.jpgJan25-StorageBins.jpg

I'd love your feed back and ideas as I evolve this thing.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Bears?

It looks interesting, but are the components removable?

Anything that goes in my jeep needs to be removable to go into a bear box.

I would assume that BC has similar issues as the Sierra-Nevada in that respect.

Nice cad work though. Have you verified that all of the sheet metal bends drawn are actually possible, or will you make custom tooling to stamp it out?

alsmith

Observer
Interesting idea on the removable piece as it could be taken in and out of the jeep if you want to by just strapping it down ... do you put your fridge in a bear box when you travel? that is a big bear box .... mostly in BC we just hang food in trees in the woods :)

The sheet metal bends are possible and it's being water jet cut and bent so no customer tooling is required the way we have designed it.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Yes, most of the bear boxes in my neck of the woods are supplied by the park service or forest service. They will hold several large coolers, action packers, etc...

I have not had a fridge until recently, but I do have every intention of putting it in the bear box when we travel into those areas where bears and campers overlap regularly.

Many people may not rank bear box storage high on their list of design details, but I would. It is still a really nice design.

AML

Adventurer
I also noticed you are fond of that lime green shirt. You are wearing it in both videos :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94