Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

1stDeuce

Explorer
Ok, so I just reviewed, and I don't see much at all about that camper... I saw where you got a Sunlite hard side, but that's it...

Do tell more!! :)

Also, have you thought about putting some sort of lip on the front of the flatbed? If you are bolting the camper down, it probably won't matter, but if you plan to install/remove it from time to time, it'll sure make it an easier affair, and keep it from sliding or wiggling forward and messing up the back of the cab...
This truck has sure come a long way since its orignial "old man" look in the beginning of this thread...

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Ok, so I just reviewed, and I don't see much at all about that camper... I saw where you got a Sunlite hard side, but that's it...

Do tell more!! :)

Also, have you thought about putting some sort of lip on the front of the flatbed? If you are bolting the camper down, it probably won't matter, but if you plan to install/remove it from time to time, it'll sure make it an easier affair, and keep it from sliding or wiggling forward and messing up the back of the cab...
This truck has sure come a long way since its orignial "old man" look in the beginning of this thread...
Ahh, the camper. That is a long and difficult journey. We literally looked at almost every chassis/design out there from similar platforms to ambulances to medium duty trucks. We are planning on traveling the Pan-Am to South America beginning early next year and wanted something better than the Sun-Lite and the FWC campers we had. My ultimate wish was to build a chassis mounted camper and have it built the way we wanted with what we wanted. We even built models of the layout (which changed several times) in our dining room from small scale to full-size attempting to get the layout just right. We reached out to several builders and either they didn't want to tackle it or the price was in the stratosphere. We then thought about building it ourselves to the point we were in the beginning phases of having a structural engineer CAD everything for us, but reality hit as we realized that we didn't have the time, place, or most importantly the talent to build a chassis mounted camper. We had been looking at Bundutec's offerings and found a floor pan that we were happy with. We reached out to them with a wish list and asked if they could build it and what it would cost to adjust their design to our preference(s). We were pleasantly surprised at both their willingness to make the changes as well as the cost for the final product. So we began working with them to finalize the design as both sides came up with either improvements or adjustments that had to be done. That also manifested the design and purchase of the flatbed. Is it the perfect camper of our dreams? Not 100% (it's close), but we can either spend all of our time and money chasing perfection or we can accept some compromises, have a finished camper and be on the road enjoying it. That seemed to be the smarter way to go. :cool:

I did and even spoke to Rory (Bundutec) about adding some "stops/guides" on the bed to help locate and control the camper. Because it is being bolted down to the flatbed, I decided to forgo anything. The camper will most likely not come off of the truck anytime in the near future, and yes it will be a royal pain to realign it if I do remove it, but it is what it is at this point.

Yes it has. It's kind of fun to look back the transformation. I am still in love with this truck and can't wait to start the journey in it. I have a few minor things to wrap up, but it is almost as ready as I can make it. New stereo with backup camera was installed (been using the factory radio up to this point, rear window and back glass are getting a security tinted film installed on Monday to prevent them from shattering if hit with something, and once I see how the camper (and fully loaded truck) effects the rear springs, I might be messing with those to get the rear suspension dialed in.

Jack

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Love the way this is coming out so far, also excited to see the pair and the camper. I have heard good tings about Bundutec, and was considering them myself if I had not stepped into the project camper I now have.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Love the way this is coming out so far, also excited to see the pair and the camper. I have heard good tings about Bundutec, and was considering them myself if I had not stepped into the project camper I now have.
Thank you, we are as well. We are due to head out this weekend for Iowa to pick it up. We have checked them out in person and have been impressed so far. Yours was too good of a deal to pass up.

Jack

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thank you, we are as well. We are due to head out this weekend for Iowa to pick it up. We have checked them out in person and have been impressed so far. Yours was too good of a deal to pass up.

Jack
Thanks, i have put some work into it: but am pretty happy with it still and how well its cleaning up. Safe Travels & Happy Trails for the shakedown trip!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Whew! The last few weeks have been hectic to say the least. We drove to Iowa to pick up the camper, which involved some very long driving days. We made it there in 2.5 days, 1700ish miles one way. Didn't really do much sight seeing as you can imagine. We made it to Bundutec on Tuesday, September 4th. Rory was putting the final touches on everything trying to get the camper wrapped up. Sorry for the bad lighting, serious contrast between inside and the open door.

We returned on Wednesday to officially pick up the camper.
Preparing for loading.

The camper was secured with bolts through the floor of the camper and through the bed floor. We literally, got everything secured and hit the road home.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
We made a quick stop and as you can tell, the camper sagged the rear suspension a bit more than I like.

We made it to Western Iowa, found some NF land and found a camp spot.

The next day, we made it to Eastern Colorado. Not too many choices other than corn fields and pasture land to choose from for camping, so we found a reservoir campground.

We were taking a little longer to get home, so we decided to go through the Rocky Mountain National Park.

Of course, I had to take the Fall River Road to the top.

We continued through the park and found a spot in the National Forest outside Kremmling, Colorado at 10300'. I didn't get a picture of the campsite, but we were up and on the road before first light and had breakfast in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Next thing you know, we were driving and driving, and driving. We made it home, 981 miles later.

Jack

TNSG

Whew! The last few weeks have been hectic to say the least. We drove to Iowa to pick up the camper, which involved some very long driving days. We made it there in 2.5 days, 1700ish miles one way. Didn't really do much sight seeing as you can imagine. We made it to Bundutec on Tuesday, September 4th. Rory was putting the final touches on everything trying to get the camper wrapped up. Sorry for the bad lighting, serious contrast between inside and the open door.

We returned on Wednesday to officially pick up the camper.
Preparing for loading.

The camper was secured with bolts through the floor of the camper and through the bed floor. We literally, got everything secured and hit the road home.
Amazing! My wife has one question before I can move that way, does it have a potty? Her hang up, not mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Amazing! My wife has one question before I can move that way, does it have a potty? Her hang up, not mine!

Yes it does and a shower (both inside and out). We went with a Wrappon toilet instead of the normal cassette that BundutecUSA installs. Our choice.

Jack

TNSG

Yes it does and a shower (both inside and out). We went with a Wrappon toilet instead of the normal cassette that BundutecUSA installs. Our choice.

Jack
Sweet! We can shower at the same time! Separately! :)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
We were back for about a day and on the road (or air as it was) to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary in Kuaui.
Once back, I got my tires, Cooper Discoverer AT3, XLT, 285/75R18's mounted on the factory Ford forged aluminum rims that I had powdercoated.
First, I had them sandblasted (sandblasted versus the factory finish).

Powdercoated in a textured black finish.

I hope to get them mounted on the truck in the next couple of days.

I also got the rear springs taken care of. I was going to do them myself, but decided that I would rather let a shop deal with it.

Three extra leafs were added to each side.

It looks like a lot of spring, but it rides really good. I was expecting it to be more harsh, but found that it rides much like it did empty. We have the camper loaded to include water and pretty much everything that is going in the camper and tool boxes, (in the bed).

I do have to wrap up some final items to finish personalizing the camper, but overall, we are very happy and exited to finally have the camper.

Jack

Seabass

Idiot
What a great setup! I'm so happy for you guys! It's been a treat to watch your progress till now. Very well thought out, and practical. I look forward to seeing about your many adventures to come. Congratulations!