ITTOG's Truck Camper Build (was 6' x 12' Trailer Conversion)

ITTOG

You are welcome for the link.

I don't know if you will find either edition of the book useful, but I will mention "Devlin's Boat Building Manual: How to Build Your Boat the Stitch-and-Glue Way", and ping @calicamper for any information he might choose to add.

1995 edition:

The second edition which has been pushed off to August 2022 at the time of this post:

Sorry pt water craft

Resources page

Thanks guys for the resources. At this time I am thinking of doing the tub, bottom of the camper, and the sides all in one go. It would basically be like fiberglassing the top of a box and the sides and say the front at once. Unfortunately it is a bit more complicated than that because the sides would have a stair step in it. See the pic below of the view from the front of the camper. I would flip that over when fiberglassing it. The back will be ACM. On the bottom transition to the sides I will use my router to cut a rounded edge on the 1/2" plywood. Thus, I will have some edges with a tight radius. Hopefully I will be able to keep it tight with a lightweight mat, say 4 oz. If not, I guess the worst case scenario is I would have to make the sides in three pieces and then do the corners as a separate step.
1648169404712.png

With all that said, anyone have a good place to purchase fiberglass materials from? I have been researching on Amazon but figure probably not the best place to buy the materials.

1000arms

... I need to skin the bottom half of the camper first because that will be easier upside down. I am not positive but I think I am going to put wood on the bottom and then fiberglass it and the sides that are below the truck bed rails. But to do that, I have to come up with a way to keep the fiberglass straight between the frame rails. Not sure how I will do that. Ideas have been everything from saran wrap (will epoxy melt the saran wrap), 0.06 aluminum (bending would be difficult given I don't have a brake), to the 1/4" fiber board used in concrete fiber board forms.
Are you planning to insulate your camper?

Would cutting rigid foam insulation and securing it in place give you the backing you want for the fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Amazon is ok
For my boat stuff I just go West systems epoxy. Not cheap but I never have issues getting it to cure correctly. If this is like a shower tub type use durability is important. I don’t know my glass mat weights that well given I haven’t messed with it for a few yrs. But you likely want a heavy mat.
My first thought looking at your post, was pre seal the bin surfaces to prevent resin getting soaked out of the matt. Rough up the surface, wipe it down good with acetone.
Wet out the glass mat on a heavy sheet of basic plastic tarp/ground cover type roll material epoxy doesn’t stick to it. Once wetted out then lay the cloth into your tub. Thats the super basic mental steps that come to mind?.

ITTOG

Are you planning to insulate your camper?

Would cutting rigid foam insulation and securing it in place give you the backing you want for the fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin?

I do plan to insulate but not any time soon. I was planning to use spray foam but this might be better because I was wanting an exact 2" thickness. I may have to consider this stuff if the saran wrap plan doesn't work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Amazon is ok
For my boat stuff I just go West systems epoxy. Not cheap but I never have issues getting it to cure correctly. If this is like a shower tub type use durability is important. I don’t know my glass mat weights that well given I haven’t messed with it for a few yrs. But you likely want a heavy mat.
My first thought looking at your post, was pre seal the bin surfaces to prevent resin getting soaked out of the matt. Rough up the surface, wipe it down good with acetone.
Wet out the glass mat on a heavy sheet of basic plastic tarp/ground cover type roll material epoxy doesn’t stick to it. Once wetted out then lay the cloth into your tub. Thats the super basic mental steps that come to mind?.
Thanks for the info and the comment about sealing the wood. I would have never thought about that. I guess I can seal it with a layer of epoxy. Once dry I can begin the layup. I hadn't thought about wetting it before putting it in place. Thanks for the suggestion.

1000arms

I do plan to insulate but not any time soon. I was planning to use spray foam but this might be better because I was wanting an exact 2" thickness. I may have to consider this stuff if the saran wrap plan doesn't work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the info and the comment about sealing the wood. I would have never thought about that. I guess I can seal it with a layer of epoxy. Once dry I can begin the layup. I hadn't thought about wetting it before putting it in place. Thanks for the suggestion.
You are welcome.

Some West System Epoxy links for you:

Last edited:

ITTOG

I think I have my plan and the below list is the materials I plan to use. I bit disappointing there are no UV protection fillers. I would prefer to save a step and not paint it.

○ Mat - ○ Epoxy - ] ○ Thickener - ] ○ Black Pigment - ○ Disposable Containers and Stir Sticks -
○ Rollers - https://smile.amazon.com/Fiberglass...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KAPFCPD9ZDXYD18AG65K
○ Epoxy Spreaders - https://smile.amazon.com/Custom-Sho...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KAPFCPD9ZDXYD18AG65K
○ Tyvek Suit - https://smile.amazon.com/DuPont-Dis...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MZVYTZM54RG24DT60HDF

Last edited:

ITTOG

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Use clear box tape on stuff you want to form fiberglass around but not stick. Guessing thats the plastic wrap idea? The clear box tape stays tacked down and doesn’t lift when you pry the cured glass off it.

ITTOG

Use clear box tape on stuff you want to form fiberglass around but not stick. Guessing thats the plastic wrap idea? The clear box tape stays tacked down and doesn’t lift when you pry the cured glass off it.
Yes that is part of what the plastic wrap is for. The other part is to provide a backing for it to sit on until it dries.

Not sure why that didn't show for me. Glad to see I can get it as it will provide a more uniform surface than spray in foam. My plan is to use this to build a thermal break. my frame is only 1.5" so this will cover the frame by 1/2". This assumes I can easily transfer the frame outline onto the foam so I can cut the foam so the frame inserts into it.

1000arms

... Not sure why that didn't show for me. Glad to see I can get it as it will provide a more uniform surface than spray in foam. My plan is to use this to build a thermal break. my frame is only 1.5" so this will cover the frame by 1/2". This assumes I can easily transfer the frame outline onto the foam so I can cut the foam so the frame inserts into it.
Owen Corning makes a wide range of "Foamular" rigid foam insulation 4'x8' sheets. There are many different thicknesses and different densities. The hard part seems to be finding them locally if you don't want one of the few products chosen for the local store. :(

You might be better served with 1.5" thick 4'x8' sheets. The following product doesn't seem to be available in your area, but, I've included the link as an example:

Owen Corning Foamular link:

Snydmax

Check your local lumber yard or siding wholesaler… the guys the professionals get their materials from. We have a place here called darragh that sells everything besides concrete for that line of work and I believe they have some rigid foam options… ask for a discount and you may get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ITTOG

Owen Corning makes a wide range of "Foamular" rigid foam insulation 4'x8' sheets. There are many different thicknesses and different densities. The hard part seems to be finding them locally if you don't want one of the few products chosen for the local store. :(

You might be better served with 1.5" thick 4'x8' sheets. The following product doesn't seem to be available in your area, but, I've included the link as an example:

Owen Corning Foamular link:

Man the 1.5" would be great because I could put it between the frame rails and then put 1/2" over it and the frame rails to get my thermal barrier. I guess it was too great a solution to actually be available!

Check your local lumber yard or siding wholesaler… the guys the professionals get their materials from. We have a place here called darragh that sells everything besides concrete for that line of work and I believe they have some rigid foam options… ask for a discount and you may get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good idea. I know some people in the industry I can ask.

1000arms

Man the 1.5" would be great because I could put it between the frame rails and then put 1/2" over it and the frame rails to get my thermal barrier. I guess it was too great a solution to actually be available! ...
There is a lot of it local to me, but, that doesn't help you out at all.

Try the Lowe's version, see if a local store has it, or will get it, in stock:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94