Its a dream but a good dream !

ScottReb

Adventurer
If you really want a big truck Dakar/Unicat look you need to look at the Isuzu FTR, its a much better looking truck, in my opinion. Its a real size truck designed for long haul. Theyre sold as FTS 4x4 in ROTW. Just need to find an drive axle, otherwise the same idea as the NPR size conversions.

B85

Adventurer
Well to make things worse I found a 4 door Mitsubishi Cab. And I think I can make it work. :smokin:

IMG_2497_zpsj1dqq9uh.jpg

IMG_2504_zpsmwxmens1.jpg

Not cheep, $3500.

Now its off to the auction for a F350 ? We will see.

General plan will be to mount the cab high on the chassis to clear things. +- I will use a 1999+ F350 chassis and all systems.
Use 40" tall tires on 17", 18", 20" wheels for a F350. ? No spacer and the tires are like 100# +-.
Any ideas of the wheel and tires ?
Get the right ratio gears for the tall tires and maybe a locker for the front ?
Stretch the chassis if needed ?
Randy

B85

Adventurer
Did some more side by side work.

untitled_zpspkeu9rqs.png

Will need to place the cab about 7 1/2" higher than stock. But the frame on the F350 is close to where it needs to be. +-

Also thinking a 4" lift maybe in the cards ?

B85

Adventurer
Been thinking this over about every way I can. And the concussion is to build with a F350 and the Fuso cab is just to expensive !

Sorry if anybody was thinking that I had a good idea. Its a ok idea just to expensive for what you will get.

What I came up with is where I started, LMTV - M1078 .

Randy

B85

Adventurer
Thanks for stopping buy ,pappa. Great looking build. I have one like that. Will kind of.
wilhoit%200991_zpseezvjxle.jpg

But I'm going to stick with the LMTV. Found one and may pull the trigger on Sat. if it looks good. Cool thing is all the paper work is done ! Title and plate .
That will be one more thing I do not need to do. +

Are you going up to Overland Expo next weekend ? If I get the Semi/RV done the wife and I will be up for Thus,Friday +- ?

Randy

P.S. Anybody else going ? We could get together ?

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
We considered the FUSO for a long time. I think they are a very good option. I think the "right" truck is a bit dependent on each person and how they plan to travel. I think a FUSO is perfect for many people.

For a while I really wanted a Steyr 12m18. I drove a Steyr, and it was sweet, but they are ridiculously expensive to get in the US, they can be hard to register in some states, and I couldn't find a realistic parts supply.

In the end, we decided on an M1078 LMTV. The M1078 has some shortcomings for sure, but nothing is perfect. I like that it is over built. I'm pretty sold on it for an expedition truck platform. It's hard to beat the price of the base vehicle. The engine doesn't worry me. If I have trouble with it, I'll fix it or replace it then. There are many CAT shops around. The drive-train needs a little care I think. I've inspected my driveshafts carefully, and one is a bit out of spec for slop. I'll be replacing some parts of that driveshaft. It's not a big deal to do. It's a 20 year old truck, so I expect that kind of work and maintinace.

The mileage of the FUSO would be nice, but I have friends with LMTV that average 7-8 mpg loaded up. For what we plan to do, that fits into our financial plan.

I've heard some people say that the Steyr 12m18 gets like 21 mpg. It's not true. They get about 8-9.5 mpg. They are good trucks though.

Michael

B85

Adventurer
I have joined the Club. With luck my M1078 /FMTV will be home for Christmas.

694352_6002_159_0001.jpg

Maybe I can make Overland Expo 2017 ?

B85

Adventurer
Have started putting together some starting parts. I have the door hinge and got a jumper plug. Man its big !
Thanks Wil, for sending the bolts !
IMG_3252 (2).jpg
All I need now is the truck.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Congrats! I think this is the truck MANY people going to end up with for an Expo build!

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Such a great feeling when the delivery finally happens. Congrats on the truck and looking forward to future posts...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles