Isuzu NPR HD Truck Camper Build

VicHanson

Adventurer
Hi Garrett, Thanks for letting me know about the DR! I will be in Arizona by then, probably north of Phoenix. I've had a problem with my inverter lately, think I have it fixed now. Seems to have been just a poor connection with the input cables. I did have to get a new refridge last summer, the first one developed a freon leak and it was cheaper to buy a new one than repair it (small 120v unit). Have fun at the Rendezvous.
Vic

RogueTacoma

Hey Vic, I've loved reading this thread. What a great project, I'd love to do this someday. Let me know if you ever come through Medford, OR on I-5, I'd really like to see this.

VicHanson

Adventurer
Hi Rogue,

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the read. I hope to be up your way this summer, going north in June, south in Aug (?). Will try to keep in touch, will be good to meet you.
Vic

mpike

Hi, How was the camper attached to the aluminum bed? Through-bolted to one of the crossmenbers or to the frame?
How has it worked out? I've been advised on other forums, not to bolt my camper directly to my (still to be built) wooden flatbed, because most truck campers are not designed to be stressed in that way. And of course, wing tiedowns with springs are most common.
I expect to build under wing storrage boxes like yours. Perhaps they act as lateral supports?
Enjoyed the build read,
Mike

VicHanson

Adventurer
Hi Mike. The camper is bolted to cross members of the aluminum bed through the floor of the camper, it is also bolted to the frame in the front of the bike garage, which is quite securely bolted and screwed to the camper using galvanized steel straps. The aluminum bed may be less flexible than a wooden bed, not sure. The storage boxes were built with 2x4s so that may have stiffened it some too. The Luan plywood on the outside should have helped some too. The aluminum skin was attached to that with a Liquid Nails adhesive, but that wasn't the right material and it has bubbled up in many places. It is also screwed on so it is in no danger of coming off, but is not as strong a laminate as I wanted. No problems so far though and I have been on some pretty rough roads.

Glad you enjoyed the read. Do you, or will you, have a build thread? I would enjoy reading it.

Vic

hdemetrious

Adventurer
Vic-

Would two 210 solar panels be sufficient for you? Do you really need three? What size battery bank do you have?

Thanks,

Hani

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I have a question about 4X4

As your truck is not a 4x4 I wanted to ask if you feel like you miss it in any way?

IE I am considering a build of a fuso/npr style truck and I personally do not think I need the 4x4 all that much. I do enjoy going on 4x4 trails, so I know I will take my truck in places most people will not take a 2wd truck, but it seems as though you do that as well, hence the question.

I have wanted to build a refrigerator truck for a while, but my wife likes your build a lot better. It looks rather competed and ready to use in a better time frame for her.

Thanks!

Last edited:

VicHanson

Adventurer
Hi Hani, I bought 3 because I run everything on electricity, and wanted to make sure I had enough for a couple of cloudy or rainy days in a row. After losing one I decided to wait and see if two was enough before buying a new one. So far it has been enough and I've never gone below 70%, so at this time I don't have any plans to replace it. I have 6 Trojan 6v T-105 batteries which gives a total of 675AH.

FP,

I have not yet felt the need for 4 wheel drive and I have taken it on some pretty rough roads. I have not been in the snow, wet or mud with it. I saw the same Isuzu trucks go on a lot of bad roads in Peru so was fairly confident it would meet my needs. There are two limiting factors that I have run into, the stuff inside gets all bounced down to the floor. I should work on better storage areas or restraints. The other problem is I haven't done any tilt testing so I don't know what the camper's limits are there. As a result I am pretty cautious on slanted roads.

As I had to do a lot of rebuilding on the old camper I bought, I would recommend spending more if neccessary to get a camper in better shape and the build would go a lot faster. I am glad I put in new insulation and used new siding. That was expensive and took time but was worth it in my opinion. It wouldn't have looked near as good if I would have tried to reuse the old siding and then new for the storage doors. Moving the door from the back to the side complicated using the old as well.

Vic

VicHanson

Adventurer
Heading north

Just a note to say that I left Santa Barbara, CA this afternoon and am heading north along the Pacific Coast. I need to be in Seattle by Aug. 1st and want to be back down to Tahoe by the end of Aug. and in L.A. mid Oct. The rest is flexible. Return route will be down the Cascades and Sierra Nevada mtns, the plan is to hike and climb as much as possible. If anyone on the route has a favorite trail or peak I would love to hear about it, or to have you show me your favorite place! Just a meet up to say hi or a place to park for the night would be welcome too!

Thanks,
Vic

vichansonperu@yahoo.com

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Vic! I wish I knew you were in Santa Barbara - I just passed through on Friday going north. Anyways, I'd love to meet up for a meal in October when you're back down in LA.

jhrodd

Adventurer
Vic (or anyone else passing by) ,
If you get up to Bellingham we have a very nice three acre compound in town with a full RV hook up. Mt. Baker is about 50 miles east and has some stunning hikes. This is the view of Mt. Shuksan from the Mt. Baker ski area :

shuksan.jpg

The road to Artists Point beyond the ski area didn't get plowed out last year since the snow was so deep. But they were busy plowing it last week with an anticipated mid July opening :

6d1f3e41.jpg

We also have a scooter rally at our place on the last weekend of July (27,28,29) with about 100 participants, Camping,bonfire, outdoor movies, fun and games, and lots of free food. This year it's Alder Planked custom caught Copper River Sockeye, Dungeness Crab, and Prime Rib. Nothing special. You don't need a scooter to attend but if you have a MC endorsement we can fix you up. There are some interesting rides over the weekend.

rally.jpg

This is the scooter I take on the road when I'm working :

rat.jpg

bptp7270

Adventurer
G'day mate,

I just opened your lake/mountain peak photo upto fullscreen and wow !!! Spectacular vista, your very fortunate.

Regards

jhrodd

Adventurer
G'day mate,

I just opened your lake/mountain peak photo upto fullscreen and wow !!! Spectacular vista, your very fortunate.

Regards
Sorry to highjack this thread but thanks. Our Summer and Fall are very pleasant. That same location set a world record for snow fall in 1998 with over 60 ft of packed snow on the ground, it was higher than the chair lifts at the ski area.

"The world record for the highest seasonal total snowfall was measured in the United States at Mount Baker Ski Area, outside of the town Bellingham, Washington during the 1998–1999 season. Mount Baker received 2,896*cm (1,140*in) of snow,[65] thus surpassing the previous record holder, Mount Rainier, Washington, which during the 1971–1972 season received 2,850*cm (1,120*in) of snow.[66]"

View from the Bay :

216ee43a.jpg

bptp7270

Adventurer
Hi Jeffrey,
Another picture postcard! I live in the southern most state in Aus and although we have some great vistas, we have no tall mountains or proper ski fields. Went to NZ a couple of years back and very similar lake views with moutainous back drops. Whilst the outback has its own particular appeal, I think that nothing can match the mountains for sheer oomph factor and you guys are very fortunate in that department. Ditto for the unintentional hijack.

Anthony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94