Irwin the 1995 Disco (200tdi and 5 Spd swapped)

Colorofkris

What an awesome trip!!!

We decided to leave late last night and got home at about 1 this morning. I will be writing up my trip report today and tomorrow as well as going through photos and footage, which to my surprise is didn’t spend a whole lot of time taking.

Bindi did absolutely amazing and aside from a popping sway bar link and missing chunk of fender she made it out unscathed.

Can’t wait to post more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorofkris

Trip Report - Uwharrie Rover Expedition

I can’t even express how excited I was to finally get to go to Uwharrie for a rover safari/ expedition. It’s been a long over due experience. I’ve honestly been waiting since I owned my 2nd D2 and learned that it was a thing!

Our trip kicked off Thursday afternoon, we hit the road a little later then we wanted to and ended up in 5 o’clock traffic on i85 from Greenville all the way through Atlanta. Once arrived we met with some friends and set up camp. After sitting by the fire for a little bit and hanging out the wife and I headed to bed…..or so we though. We were greeted back
At our camp by some rover friends and ended up getting a little more trashed then I’d like to admit and walking around talking rovers. It was a great night of fun and left me feeling quite hungover the next day.

Friday was a fairly early start, we made breakfast and headed to the outpost to pick up our OHV trail passes for the weekend. Once back at camp we got a small group together and headed for the trails. I much apologize because I don’t remember any of the trails that I actually rode . I was having a good time and just played follow the leader lol. I know we did a small part of the rocky mount loop as well as falls dam. Regardless it was an awesome time. The rover did amazing through the trails, I did air on the side of caution though, I didn’t try to push the rover being my daily and that I just got it back from being broken. That being said I did push some of my driving limits and unsurprisingly the rover are up anything I threw at it. As for trail damage I did snap off a chunk of fender, I’m yet to do the camel cut with the bigger tires so the rover decided to do it trail side for me. We made it back to camp and spent the evening looking at rovers, chatting with other drivers and eating hot dogs. Pretty good start to the weekend!

Saturday morning was even earlier. We once again packed up camp and set off for the outpost. Today was the group ride so we joined about 20 other rovers in the east trial ride. On this ride we did all of the intermediate and easy trails as well as a small section of Dutch John if I’m not mistaken. The rover once again did amazing. Only issue was a popping sway bar link which is kinda whatever. (The we’re replaced already last year and I have a spare one anyways.) once we arrived back at camp we got ready for the registration, dinner, and raffle. After eating a heaping plate of Bojangles and some good laughs at the raffle we packed up the rest of our stuff and said our goodbyes. We decided to beat the traffic Sunday and leave Saturday night. We originally wanted to stay for a night ride but decided we were just beat and tired and didn’t want to push the rover anymore then we had already done.

My take always from Uwharrie…
-I need a better lift. The suspension on the rover is old and tires and needs a refresh.
-Steering needs some work, I’m thinking some new and stronger components on the front end to help.
-The discovery is far more capable as it sits then I give it credit for, it’s awesome. However my driver skill is what is holding it back and I will be working on that.
-I love my Discovery and I love the land rover community. It’s really a great group of people.

Huge shout out to the people that let me camp and hang out with them for the weekend, David, Abraham, and Ryan. Thanks for the stickers and shirts too from quest outdoors and Kentucky Land Rover club.

Huge shout out to northern Land Rover Society for hosting the event!

129e63d7728e678924216c89cf05d6dd.jpg

3efefc589920a3403b5b097da1431601.jpg

ee468d7fc2fdf0fb4924e977451468fe.jpg

740e9e974aecbf058dfefcd8744c1e7d.jpg

0f337c7b62996b2fa7ce9b15136592a1.jpg

eed660c9d034f0b4da69b3e63db4009c.jpg

4be857070c9c05cc4b263a6dd6b0f32d.jpg

c565a49d50b9cb041c8446b44ef53ba9.jpg

5ca2470089ee5728202c4e8e6f384ca2.jpg

381a87422f34ce7d91f18b85d1e6c196.jpg

Colorofkris

Trip Report- Ivestor Gap!

Heck yeah! Rover stuff 2 weekends in a row! Sunday I was invited to take the rover out with a few other discos to Ivestor gap at Black Balsam in NC. I will say everything I read about the trail online was that it was easy aside from a few rock patches….well those rock patches were pretty consistent for about 3 miles. Regardless the trail was a blast and the rover did it with only a slight hiccup which I’ll get to at the end of the story.

We had an early start for the morning getting things packed and ready to go, we met up at the hub in Brevard at 12:45, which was about an hour and a half drive from Easley. We took 276 up to the park way and the parkway to black balsam. It was a beautiful drive up to the parkway with the change in colors. Normally we make the trek up there on the motorcycles and don’t take our time to observe the surroundings as much so this was definitely a much needed pace up the mountain. Once we pulled in it was down to 4low and we crawled our way through the trail. We got a lot of mixed emotions from the hikers out on the trails, a lot of thumbs up, a few waves, and some sprinkled in profanity about us being in vehicles. However we went low and slow and did our thing. The trail most certainly pushed me as a driver with my rover, the rover on the other walked up and down rocks without even thinking about it. I’m still fairly new the real off-road stuff, most of what I’ve done in the past was east going trail riding and mud. I will say uwharrie was a good intro though and I’m learning with every ride how capable this rig is and how to drive it.

Once we made it to the end of the trail we parked, made lunch, and enjoyed the views and cool fall air. It was crystal clear out so we could see for miles all the way around us! It was absolutely beautiful and such an awesome experience with good company. (Even if I did forget all of the sandwich toppings and condiments ) .

Our ride back was just as easy as when we came in except for some reason the trees like my rooftop tent way more. We also got a little more tipsy in a few spots but nothing since we had to choose different lines on some of the obstacles. Apparently we flexed a good bit because when we finally hit tarmac I had some tire rub. When we finally found a spot on the parkways to pull over we found that my rear spring popped out of the top mount. After an hour of fiddling with tools the guy (Rick) with the D2 came to the rescue with his factory bottle jack. We were able to jack from the axle to the chassis and space the axle enough to hammer the spring back into place.

After that it was smooth sailing home we. We drove our normal motorcycle route, hwy 215 & 178 back home, and once again the fall colors with the setting sun and not a soul on the road. Just The wife, our dog (who was passed out asleep), me and the sweet sound of the diesel meshing through gears as we winded our way down the mountains.

*It seems that the site is not allowing me to post photos from my phone at the moment. So pictures will follow soon.

bri

Adventurer
Any vehicle running 245s or larger needs the "camel cut" to avoid bent rear quarter. Also ditch the mud flaps. They will come off the first time you back over a decent sized rock.

Colorofkris

Any vehicle running 245s or larger needs the "camel cut" to avoid bent rear quarter. Also ditch the mud flaps. They will come off the first time you back over a decent sized rock.

I plan to do the camel cut, didn’t have any issues Sunday with fender rub though, The fenders were already bent in pretty bad from the previous owner (he ran bigger tires then I’m running now). As for the mud flaps I like the look of them and being that most of my off-road driving is done on pretty mild terrain they will stay on.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
You can run 235/85x16's or 245/70x16 on standard disco steels (-33mm offset), without a camel cut, if you run a 40mm lift on the rear (OME764) and a 30mm lift on the front OEM green/blue/yellow

You only need a camel cut if you increase the offset or run 245/75x16

This is for 200tdi/300tdi vehicles - I have no experience with the lighter V8, but have tried this with an MPi (2.0ltr T series lump) which has a very light engine, and it works fine

Last edited:

Colorofkris

You can run 235/85x16's or 245/70x16 on standard disco steels (-33mm offset), without a camel cut, if you run a 40mm lift on the rear (OME754) and a 30mm lift on the front OEM gren/blue/yellow

You only need a camel cut if you increase the offset or run 245/75x16

This is for 200tdi/300tdi vehicles - I have no experience with the lighter V8, but have tried this with an MPi (2.0ltr T series lump) which has a very light engine, and it works fine

I am running a terrafirma lift, just not sure exactly what it is, the suspension is old and tired and I do plan to swap with a heavy duty set of springs. This will clear up the issue of the fender rub, however being the fenders are already well bent in I might as well camel cut it

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
I've used OME (2)764's on the rear for years. They are a medium duty, 40mm lift, rated at 220lbs. I've found this to be perfect for good articulation, load carrying, towing and comfort.

I'm running OEM whit/white 115/215lb two stage progressives on the front. Probably Britpart copies. They've settled a tadge. so have 1" Gwynn Lewis spacers fitted https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/product-category/suspension-all/spring-spacers/.
This gives me no prop issues, no fouling and makes me regret the camel cut I did back in 2014

I run Rage 4x4 HD shocks - brilliant but no longer available. I'll be fitting Fulcrum next time

All my bushes are SuperPro - wouldn't fit anything elseIMG_20220914_174509_749.jpg

Colorofkris

Trip report - Horse Pasture Rd

It’s been about a year since I’ve taken the rover out to horse pasture so I figured why not take a ride back out there and go explore some of the roads I haven’t taken yet.

Today was supposed to be a group but ended up only having a co worker come out with his 4Runner. I was pretty excited for todays ride because of the weather. It was a gloomy and foggy day out in the mountains and the temperatures were perfect. We took the 178 entrance from rocky bottom and exited out at hwy 11. The majority of the ride was nice and peaceful, did a new section to me and it was awesome, a lot of amazing scenery with the fog. The rain really did add a whole new experience out there. The view from jump off rock was to cloudy to see but getting down to the lake was awesome. On the way out I did a little root covered uphill climb to a campsite that popped another spring out. (Got a pic this time lol) that seems to be a common occurring thing now and honestly a limiting factor on the capability of the rig. This will need a remedy fairly soon. After popping it back into place we hit a water crossing and then headed to tarmac and made our way home. Nothing to crazy today but it was nice to get out!

b2f5e8797bbf26496eee958a4a8f6375.jpg

497b790374ddac256cec6103e205a2c2.jpg

22a72fcade2d8aa94b7d9bf9b617eeab.jpg

e3d5d0cb1978a22fa9d622304c06013b.jpg

6f6b64ddfbd5b0ec41c68bca29b4a400.jpg

f25c1ea8a0705bb8b3c2cf7bd26e9d7c.jpg

30e8bfece0e2f255be2f8fd7ccc75dc3.jpg

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
the spring issue is simply because your shocks aren't matched to spring length.

two easy fixes:

fix the spring to the top spring mount with three, evenly spaced Jubilee clips (not sure what they are called in the US)

or

Buy a set of spring relocators

Colorofkris

the spring issue is simply because your shocks aren't matched to spring length.

two easy fixes:

fix the spring to the top spring mount with three, evenly spaced Jubilee clips (not sure what they are called in the US)

or

Buy a set of spring relocators

I plan to do an update on the suspension most likely next year at some point. I like the set up you have, looks perfect. I will look into the shocks in the meantime and see if I can at least keep the springs in place

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior