Irwin the 1995 Disco (200tdi and 5 Spd swapped)

Colorofkris

Have you thought about a bluetooth amp powering door/rear speakers like this? you can stay headless and its still "in" the vehicle.

Part of my problem with speakers in any of the doors or something in the trunk is water intake. The back of the rover leaks from every where. The sound bar is going to Mount to the map Bob’s over head of the driver and passenger. It won’t impede on view, plus being close should allow sound quality to be maintained as well as easy control. It’s also one of the few spots that doesn’t get wet lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorofkris

Hella 700’s are installed and wired up. Rear lights are also wired ip but they are pure junk and already filled with water. Going to most likely order a square hella lamp for the rear. Finished up my BT speaker instal as well. Wired it through the 12v dc port in the dash and works like a charm. I don’t have rear seats to I mounted it in the rear foot well. I’ll get some pictures of the mount job tomorrow. Not the best set up but it beats taking up the headspace. Also it doesn’t current interfere with anything. Hella 500 fogs should be in tomorrow. Also got my spare tire bag installed today. I’ll get. A photo of that tomorrow as well.

dda060a4a55643c62510504314a37350.jpg

32655697263aca95460757a8c973efce.jpg

e9c382bfab4ca99fe72dfbaee54153a9.jpg

Colorofkris

Picked up a set of old rover steelies! Been wanting a set of these for a while. No plan to upgrade tires yet but maybe in the next 6 months or so I’ll slap on some beefy tires. I also plan to paint them when the time comes, just not sure on a color yet.

976751545a9bf62024dfa42d0d7a17fa.jpg

c73c021ce0029f1bbc31718600249bd0.jpg

c1f805b20c21fd5445f3e7e858fd4905.jpg

Colorofkris

Trip Report: Pisgah National Forest NC

Not going to lie it feels good to write another trip report. :)

So this trip was a shakedown run for our new gear and our load out on the disco. Since our last trip we removed the rear seats so our storage area had grown exponentially. I didn’t get a chance to use the new lights but did use the new speaker and it was perfect. Also ran the trip with the new wheels and new to me tires. The tires are Kendra Klevers and they did great.

With our further ado….

Our trip started in Travelers Rest SC and the goal for the night was to reach a familiar camp spot, which if you followed my previous forum with the Range Rover this is the camp spot that the battery died. The spot is about an hour and a half drive. Overall the drive was beautiful. It was our first time driving through flat rock and Brevard NC both of which seem pretty cool. Once we turned off towards the Blue Ridge Pkwy the scenery was awesome. This was our first time really climbing steep grade in the rover on tarmac, and though it was a slow climb the disco did great. Passing bicycles on the road was a struggle though. I felt bad throwing up puffs of diesel exhaust passing them as I had to give er a bit to pick the pace back up.

Once we hit dirt the rover was right at home. We decided to make a stop at Dill Falls and take the hike down to check out the falls since we missed the opportunity on our last trip out there. Dill falls was super cool and we had it to ourselves for a while. Got the chance to find some cool rocks and do a little climbing around. We grabbed a snack and headed back up to the rover and pushed our way deeper into the woods to find camp.

Once at camp we set up the rtt and headed out for another hike up the NF ride…. Well the wife hiked I took the new mtb for a stroll. Once she returned to camp I went out for a longer ride which followed with a heck of a nap. Dinner was an easy one, we made some pho, which was just like a ramen bowl (add boiling water), made a camp fire and chilled for the rest of the night.

The next morning we just packed up and head out. No adventure in a rover is complete without something going wrong though right?! As we were climbing up a steep rocky grade the oil light came on. After a quick check on the rover I determined it was a low oil issue which the light went off after we checked oil and sat for a few min. It came back on again during another climb, but after another stop it stayed off for the rest of the ride home. I will top it off in the morning and hopefully should be good to roll. Our drive home took us through Caesars head and past table rock which was a familiar drive and a beautiful one at that. The rover did great though that drive and actually saw 2 sweet discos on the way down.

Tuesday we are headed out to the Roof Top Tent rally being held by blue ridge overland gear in Virginia. We will be taking a few days to travel the whole Blue Ridge Parkway there.

Here’s some photos of the trip and there will be much more to follow.

1ae04ca97600d96d0a1b0f72388ef6c0.jpg

2170f4a08b83a4b4a4dacd8d2bbe098c.jpg

5ea7120093bb88a7ead0d311687e1640.jpg

3d332887d346234ee1ea692529112d48.jpg

5564d9cf19f41f07098b32e5e6930492.jpg

1ea50bd42794606a23d88fc1695b486f.jpg

a678d9d0e55909c005bbca7fc07419da.jpg

Colorofkris

Well our trip took a turn. After a few days of no oil light we were headed to Virginia and as soon as we got to Asheville the oil light came on and wouldn’t go away. I tried to do a Walmart Peking lot repair to find that a bolt was stripped on the oil pan, so I couldn’t pull the pan to check the sump or the screen filter. I did manage an oil change and no change. The rover ended up with a tow to Blue Ridge Rover Works last night. Waiting for them to open today so I can talk to them. So our trip to Virginia is officially canceled and we are on hold until further notice for traveling. Hoping it will be a quick turn around.

On another note I did finally get the Hella 500 fogs mounted

8736bb4a7beea379f6baadc2a7fcc347.jpg

d4d9922be9a9af9bb4c231dc1dc760ec.jpg

53fdcd71cc23a507cf735ab3870869ca.jpg

09a726f39a69db83378923a153b8fd0e.jpg

Colorofkris

Quick update on the rover. Ended up getting it back on Monday. The issue was the oil sending unit luckily and once the part was received it was a quick replacement and Blue Ridge Rover Works had us back on the road. Sadly we didn’t make it to our roof top tent rally up in Virginia but we did end up picking up the rover and pointed west to North Georgia for a 3 day trip back to the Helen area. I will have trip write up coming for that adventure soon as well a a video for YouTube. Currently we are planning a 9ish day trip coming Tuesday of this week.

Colorofkris

Trip Report Helen Ga Oct 25-27th

Our trip started off in Greenville South Carolina, the destination was Helen ga. Our goal was to camp Monday night and just have a nice east camp night and enjoy some peace and quite. The plan for day 2 was to go into Helen and just hang out for a few hours then go find camp in a familiar spot from the last Helen trip. On our way home Wednesday we hoped to check out Anna ruby falls or brass town bald.

We decided to take the scenic route to Helen through Sumter National Forest and had a stop at the chattoga river trial which was a place we had stopped before with the Range Rover, but didn’t have the chance to spend enough time there to let it soak in. From there we headed into ga and stopped for some ice in Clayton. When we got close to Helen we picked National Forest road (kind of at random) and it turned out to be Trey mountain road which was a stellar road. Not only was it quite and beautiful but we also got the chance to try out the disco with some light terrain. Believe it or not all the stuff I’ve done with the rover hasn’t been super aggressive off-roading. This gave 4lo a good test as well as my skills driving a manual. Once we got through about half of the road we decide to find camp. At first camp was pretty sweet. It was pretty high up, quite, and it was over the main road so it felt pretty private. We set up the rtt and the screen room and cracked a few ciders and hung out. Just as we started to head to bed though the wind picked up….and it go worse progressively throughout the night. That had to of been the worst night of sleep I have ever had camping. Inside the tent it was cozy and nice but it was just so loud. At around 1230 I ended up having to rescue our screen room which flew off and landed about 40ft down the mountain.

The next morning we got up made some coffee and ate a quick breakfast. The wind was still really bad and it was really cold as well. We had brought cold weather gear but didn’t pack gloves, those would of been the difference between an eh morning and a decent one. We decided to break camp as quickly as possible and leave out of Trey mountain through the fork in the road just up the road from camp. On our way out of the Forest road we passed a sign for brass town bald and said to hell with it, let’s go! And man am I glad we did! It was a very interesting road to get up, the disco did it but it gave everything it had on some of those steep climbs. Once up there we took the hike to the top and had a wonderful snack/ lunch overlooking the fall colors surrounding us. The clouds let up enough for us to get some good views, but every once and a while a cloud would roll over the mountain which I thought was super cool. From brass town bald we headed into Helen which was surprisingly the most ho hum part of the trip. We had our pup with us and it wasn’t very dog friendly. Felt kinda like a county fair too. It was Octoberfest so that may have a bit to do with it. Anyways, after a cup of coffee and grabbing a bottle of wine we headed back into Chattahoochee National Forest towards the spot we had stayed in our previous north ga trip. It was a beautiful evening with perfect weather and no one around. We set up a nice camp fire and cooked up a big sirloin with some Mac and cheese. The rest of the night was nice and calm and we were able to get a bit of much needed sleep.

Wednesday morning we took our dear sweet time heading out. We had a nice hot breakfast with some coffee and hit the road home. Our ride back was nothing really special. Overall it was one of the better trips and least stressful trips as well. We did also figure out some of the gear we are missing too, so that’s a plus.

Our next trip will be starting next week so keep an eye out for our next update. Here are some photos from our trip.

0b40385fb8986a79a3c4c16c2b466619.jpg

42bfca84ab15c1ddfa3c1b07c799c502.jpg

55c35e1a4ecfb596e58d7a745d1dd8bc.jpg

e522d24782882b88682ebc7b73c8c340.jpg

70a93c0837c47fbb93c710eabf338654.jpg

81b8da334379d00a01463f2cc0805466.jpg

91cc84e93ea6c21c56a86245413cd146.jpg

39b6cb096706a1f2523ddec68cf08d65.jpg

c5b7fbabbd2564f03be87ee1068a4b1a.jpg

Colorofkris

Trip Report Nov 3-10th

Originally our trip was going to primarily take place in the smoky mountain National park but upon further research we found that dogs are not welcome in the majority of the park. This made for a last minute replan of our whole trip.

Our trip was originally set for Tuesday the 2nd until Friday the 12th but due some last minute gear issues we left a day late and to an invite from a rover friend to do some trialing that Friday we decided to cut it short. As it stands right now we will be leaving for another trip come Friday.

Wednesday was a hustle to get the Rover loaded up, and we were on the road around noon if I’m not mistaken. We headed up to North Carolina through Caesars Head and through Sapphire Vally. It was a beautiful drive. We arrived in Nantahala National Forest early enough to set up camp in a little bit of day light. It was starting to get pretty cold and the rain was beginning to move in. Dinner consisted of some left over pho bowls from the previous nights dinner. We called it an early night since the coming rain didn’t give us much chance to start a fire.

We woke the next morning to snow, which was very exciting! Being that we have spent the most of our lives in the southeast snow was almost nonexistent. It was a real treat to wake up to the ground and trees dusted with a light coat of snow. Of course after a quick breakfast and coffee we went back to bed for a little while, we woke to more rain and the snow melting. We decided to stay another night in our spot since packing up wet gear seemed pointless. The rain stopped later in the evening. We decided tomato soup and grilled cheese would be the dinner of choice for such a crummy weather day. After dinner we had enough service to book a night at Cades Cove Campground in the smokies for the following evening. This would allow us to get a chance to see some of the smokies as well as restock on water, get rid of some trash, and have access to a bathroom.

Friday we broke camp as early and as quick as we could, it was cold so it took us sometime to kick into gear. However we were able to get on the road by 11. After a quick Walmart stop for more propane and coffee we grabbed Jersey Mike’s for some hot subs for lunch (much needed). We motored on through Bryson City and up into the Smokey Mountain National Park. It was beautiful. There were 2 downsides to the Smokies that I will point out, for 1 I don’t feel like there is enough time to ever spend here, so much to see and do and every turn is another spot I want to sit for hours and just stare, not to include all of the hiking and motorcycling and driving. 2 it’s very busy, I will relate it to Disney world, there was pretty much a line for everything. However it was awesome and I can’t wait to make a return trip. Our drive took us from the south end of the park up towards Gatlinburg and then west towards Cades Cove. Every part of that drive was just amazing (The rover did excellent as well if I may add). Our night at Cades Cove was sub par. It was nice to have some amenities to refresh before heading back out into the unknown, however the fellow campers were loud and it was hard to relax. At one point we could hear coyotes howling which I though would have been super cool if it hadn’t been for the people 2 sites down talking loudly over the sounds of nature. (Not out to complain or anything, I’ve had my fair share of loud camp nights myself but these folks were just terrible neighbors). We did make some pretty dang good tacos that night though!

Saturday was another early morning, we had a good bit of driving ahead of us just to get out of the National Park, and even more to figure out that nights camp. We managed to get on the road a little before noon and headed up through Gatlinburg. After passing through Gatlinburg we headed towards us40 and just before we made our turn on to 40 we got a puncture. We ended up finding a gas station with a puncture kit and an air pump. After about 20 minutes we were back on the road. Our first point of interest was a spot in Pisgah Nf, but had no luck finding camp, there was also a tremendous amount of traffic which was weird to me, turns out it was actually a thru road which we later used on Monday. Anyways, a little defeated and tired, ready to find camp we crossed over to the other side of us40 in hopes to find more Forest road. That’s when the going got good. We accidentally stumbled upon the Buzzards Roost NF road. What a treat! I kid you not I watched a video on YouTube from a guy who explored the very road the night before we left. I Knew nothing of it prior to, but I was like “I want to check this out” so I added to my bucket list items and boom, it presented itself. I was super excited to say the least. We headed over a small damn and up the mountain. After a good bit of climbing I saw the marking on the trees! We walked down the short path and the view was just insane. From buzzards roost it was a straight drop overlooking the valley. It was a sight to be seen, but when I say it was hard to walk up to, I mean it. It made me nervous getting even as close to the edge as I did. My wife made it about 12 feet from the edge and about had an anxiety attack. Anyways, it was a really cool spot and definitely worth the trip. We loaded back up and motored on. Eventually we found camp and had another round of pho for dinner. We had ourselves a nice fire and listened to some foxes howling in the adjacent mountains. The sunset this particular evening was also quite beautiful. It matched the fall colors almost perfect. Also star gazing was amazing. It was the first truly clear evening and the views were perfect.

Sunday was a relax day. We took our time waking up and had no intent of breaking camp. We made good breakfast of ham, eggs and hash browns and started our morning with a nice long walk down the forest road. Once back at camp we napped, then took another walk. Dinner was mahi mahi with creamy garlic and herb pasta shells. We enjoyed another nice camp fire and more stars.

Monday was another driving day, probably our shortest driving day though. Our goal was to head to Hot Springs NC, hopefully grab a good lunch and then head back into the National Forest just east of the town and go explore until we find a good spot to camp. We started with coffee and breakfast burrito bowls, then a good walk to wear out the puppy a bit for the car ride. We headed back towards us40 but stopped at the damn we had crossed previously to explore a dried out part of the river bed. From there we crossed over us40 up into the through road previously mentioned. After about 14 miles of dirt road we hit pavement and had a beautiful drive through Pisgah NF to Hot Spring. There we grabbed some coffee and a few souvenirs, did quick walk to see the French broad river and off we went back into the National Forest. We went from Pisgah in NC up to Tennessee and into Cherokee NF. There we headed to a known spot which I had camper previously on my bachelor party. Sadly the spot was pretty trashed and torn up from a bunch of downed trees. We did take the chance to make a good lunch since Hot Springs didn’t pan out for food, we were already pretty worn form the good bit of driving we had already done but also from the early morning and not eating. Grilled cheese and some sliced cucumbers. Wasn’t much but it definitely lifted the spirits. It was about 3pm once we finished up lunch and we were ready to find camp. After about 40 more minute of driving we same across painted creek campground and took up on the opportunity to snag a spot for the next 2 nights to finish out the trip. The campground was closing soon for the season and to our luck was primarily empty aside from one other Rv. We were able to o restock on water and had access to bathrooms which was nice. Also we snagged a spot on creek which was sweet. Another plus was that there is a hiking trail which we were able to take the puppy on. We made camp for the night, started up a nice fire and made some clam chowder for dinner. After some star gazing we called it a night.

Tuesday was another relax day. We took our time getting up, made some coffee and breakfast bowls again and got our gear ready for a hike. Not only did we hike the loop but we also hiked a portion of the Scenic drive across the street. Once we returned to camp I finally finished The First Overland which had been my camping reading material since the first trip in the disco to Helen way back on March. Dinner was pork chops and yellow rice followed by hot chocolate and marshmallows over the fire. It was to cloudy to star gaze so we took the chance to go to be early in hopes to pack up camp in the early morning.

The next morning was an early one in which we packed up and headed back home.

a391bdbac7cb4d7491fba539446d3c1b.jpg

85fc3c930397f50f5cd8495af83a6d4d.jpg

48b70558c6649d2ac72c502e82333fab.jpg

3d38419e408c8d4935e27e5ca4fe4f50.jpg

b9e1420b39ef0a4b1e9a46479f3b3d9c.jpg

a762e327c9f8a9c0c1061edb2bc7dfac.jpg

5ddea4352c167a64714c5ebb2185e172.jpg

358d52af42f9d18c93a789dd172bd504.jpg

ea3910370331bdcfff076388091d5f4b.jpg

Colorofkris

It seems I have most certainly dropped the ball on my posts. Life got extremely busy after our move to Greenville and kickstarting life back up. There have been a lot of good and a good bit of bad since the move. For a brief update, we did not get abducted by a yeti, the wife and I ended up buying a house pretty recently so a lot of our energy has been tied up in the housing process. All the while the disco decided it didn’t want 5th gear anymore. That being said it’s been away for about 4 months having the transmission rebuilt. The transmission has been a headache and problem after problem so it’s getting a lot of new parts and goodies. The deal to the tcase is also being replaced which was leaking fairly bad. It should be finished up in the next few weeks. On another note in regards to repairs I recently fixed a wobble on the driver side, apparently the preload shim went missing, and after rebuilding a majority of that corner including replacing the bad cv joint. On a positive note I did slap on a new set of mud tires and new belts. Aside from the transmission the rovers running like a champ minus a leaky fuel pump again. Now that I am in a house again though I will have the ability to do more work to the rover and get more projects done which I am certainly looking forward too.

As for traveling with the disco I believe painters creek was our last really camp trip, the weather got to cold for the wife to camp after that….wait I take that back I went to skottles and bottle in Atlanta and we camped with a buddy and his Lr3 the an overnight in Helen which was I’ll drop picks of below as well as a few misc shots pre transmission. I’ve also got shots that I’ll post from the transmission rebuild.

Sorry for the lack of updates and not posting for almost a year. I’m hoping to get back into it as we have settled into our new house and once I get the disco back.

Colorofkris

Here is my attempt to make up for sucking at updating. I will do this in a few posts.

This first set of photos was from January when we got the big snow on the NC border. After the snow melted a bit w e made it out to chimney rock for some hiking.

cd9149e1d742fca9bf8d2b139552c929.jpg

4a09710401ed0401f920ed63f862ef5a.jpg

3c20490411b018aa50fb23ef4207f9b5.jpg

d49820d1b6cb17b86edf5fd766bbaf96.jpg

21c64e7261c54ee44aa3fc88baaf2976.jpg

85a93facf4b6be7cf6b3665edfd3fad4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94