Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

smbisig

Adventurer
In cold nights in the PNW, whether raining or not, you'll have a nice layer of condensation inside the entire camper. The benefit of having the fan is to be able to close all the windows and pull out the condensation. You can get by with just having a heater of some sort (one that separates hot air vs. exhaust fumes (diesel heater, etc.)) and just wipe down your whole interior.

That being said, after owning a camper with no fan, I'd never buy a camper again unless I could have a fan.

Knock on wood.. I actually haven't had to deal with any noticable condensation here in Western Washington. Several nights camping below freezing. However, I do have a dickinson, so lots of dry heat being produced throughout the night.

I have also installed the GP Factor vent, but this is for when the tent is closed.

smbisig

Adventurer
And to added to my post above, the only water "leakage" that I have experienced was from me not properly sealing up my bed. The factory spray in bed liner didn't completley fill the bed seams and small amount of water was able to come in from road spray.

I drove the Northern California and Oregon coast a couple of weeks ago during the major storms and with all the wind and rain thought for sure I would have water inside when I got home. I popped the tent and checked everywhere, nothing. Super happy about that.

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
In cold nights in the PNW, whether raining or not, you'll have a nice layer of condensation inside the entire camper. The benefit of having the fan is to be able to close all the windows and pull out the condensation. You can get by with just having a heater of some sort (one that separates hot air vs. exhaust fumes (diesel heater, etc.)) and just wipe down your whole interior.

That being said, after owning a camper with no fan, I'd never buy a camper again unless I could have a fan.

Yeah, being in PNW I really can't imagine having something without a fan. I'm used to wiping down regular tents and RTT condensation in the morning, but I'd not be happy having to wipe down the inside of the camper too

Alu-cab makes great stuff, they just don't have PNW weather down there I guess. I'm surprised they don't offer a fan as option, every other camper shell pop up has it as an option.

siebermd

Adventurer
Yeah, being in PNW I really can't imagine having something without a fan. I'm used to wiping down regular tents and RTT condensation in the morning, but I'd not be happy having to wipe down the inside of the camper too

Alu-cab makes great stuff, they just don't have PNW weather down there I guess. I'm surprised they don't offer a fan as option, every other camper shell pop up has it as an option.

I have yet to experience any condensation at all inside the AluCab Canopy Camper. The tent is double layered to avoid this issue. I camp in all weather conditions. I do use a Milwaukee M18 fan in the warmer months.

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
I have yet to experience any condensation at all inside the AluCab Canopy Camper. The tent is double layered to avoid this issue. I camp in all weather conditions. I do use a Milwaukee M18 fan in the warmer months.

I have an alu-cab tent with presumably the same material and unless I keep all "doors" zipped open a fair amount, I get mucho condensation. Which basically makes the inside temp the same as outside?

But, I'm full of hot Air as most people tell me so that probably contributes. ?
Winter camping usually means my breath has created a nice layer of frost on the inside of the tent come morning.

A canopy camper with dry heat would likely suffice I guess, but a fan will be in my next build... Might just customize an alu-cabin with one!

YMMV

Hello everyone, been lurking on the forums on exed portals for a few months now. Since I got my camper in December, I now have a few questions, and I thought I'll start asking them and help anyone along the way who may need pre-purchase dimensions or anything like I did in the past.

What is your method of choice to pass cable from outside the camper to the inside?
For example, lights or rear cameras coax cable? Or are you running them outside?
I'm struggling to find a good solution to pass:
- Backup camera extended cable? It usually runs from under the truck to inside the tailgate, but now I have an extension cable to go from under the truck to the new location. I wonder if going through the bed, then through the alu-cab where it's located is the best course of action, or if you guys are just running it on the outside etc.
- Ditto for cables for a new rear light as a backup light or other lights, that would be running on the house (aux) battery located inside the camper.

Thanks!

LunarErik

Hello everyone, been lurking on the forums on exed portals for a few months now. Since I got my camper in December, I now have a few questions, and I thought I'll start asking them and help anyone along the way who may need pre-purchase dimensions or anything like I did in the past.

What is your method of choice to pass cable from outside the camper to the inside?
For example, lights or rear cameras coax cable? Or are you running them outside?
- Backup camera extended cable? It usually runs from under the truck to inside the tailgate, but now I have an extension cable to go from under the truck to the new location. I wonder if going through the bed, then through the alu-cab where it's located is the best course of action, or if you guys are just running it on the outside etc.
- Ditto for cables for a new rear light as a backup light or other lights, that would be running on the house (aux) battery located inside the camper.

Thanks!

Kind of depends what truck you have but generally, you have to create a passage through the bed for most electrical.

For rear camera, I relocated mine above the license plate and did not need any extension cables etc.

For exterior lighting, you will have to drill holes through your camper, not really a way around it.

Half the fun of outfitting these campers is figuring out tidy, adequate solutions to your customizations.

MR E30

Thanks!

Here is what I came up with: Tacoma, so YMMV.

Digital rear view mirror camera avoids penetrating camper at all, located it just above the license plate.

More Install by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Penetrations into the camper have only occurred into/out of the composite bed thus far. When I do penetrate the camper itself I will use the same device, a weatherproof bulkhead passthrough connector.

Tacoma Work Round 5 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Best photo I have, but you can see them just above the battery, mounted to the bedside.

Tacoma Work Round 6 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

On the topic of condensation, I get condensation in my ACCC just about every time I sleep in it in 'cool/cold' weather. Two bodies. Both with the furnace running all night and without it running all night. Both with the upper windows cracked slightly, and with them totally closed.

Sometimes it's a little, sometimes it's a lot. It is usually very dry where I live/camp, so I don't wipe anything down. I take it slow in the mornings, and it usually takes care of itself after I open everything up and let the sun hit it for a minute.

Certainly better than other tent options I have used previously, but it isn't condensation proof in my experience.

Thanks, Michael & Erik, that makes sense. I'll look into the weather poof bulkhead passthrough connector. I guess since they'll be the first files I’m poking through, they're kind of special to me ?

timsuchocki

Thanks!

I have a Tacoma and also moved my backup camera from the tailgate to just above the license plate. It was a pretty easy fix and works pretty well for the most part (just have to remember that because it was moved, you can't really trust the on-screen guide lines anymore).

I ran some pretty serious wires from the truck battery into the camper, which I just drilled out one of the drain holes in the truck bed to fit the wire through and then sealed the hell out of it with caulk. After reading some of the responses to your questions, I might try to go back and use a bulkhead passthrough though. I don't really have any problems with water coming in from normal driving, but I'm a little shy about water crossings because I don't really trust my seal job.

I also drilled through one of the lower rear panels (part of the fit kit to the left of the door) and put in a weatherproof plug for my diesel heater. The plug has a rubber seal and because the aluminum piece is removable(replaceable?) on the outside I wasn't too nervous about drilling through it.

renaud

I live In BC and since I got my camper in September I probably spent 15 nights in it and always had condensation. 2 people sleeping , Dickinson fireplace and an additional fan Running. Most of it was either in the rain or in the snow though

renaud

Anyone have a parts list / info on converting the propane line for the Dickinson heater to use a quick connect? Seen a few people with that setup, but I'm not sure where they have the regulator located.
Ideally I'd like to also add a splitter so I can hook up a stove / bbq without disconnecting the main line at the tank - possibly split the line inside the back panel and then add a second quick connect lower down the panel for the stove?
Here's my current configuration:
View attachment 760161
Hey!
Funny enough I dmed overland outfitters this weekend because I was curious about your propane regulator. I do run a quick connect line myself but really is the getthoest set up. I run the line from the Dickinson ,3/4 to male quick connect and have a regulator hose to female quick connect. I only put the line from the tank when in use . Otherwise it stays in the truck

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49

reaper229

I live In BC and since I got my camper in September I probably spent 15 nights in it and always had condensation. 2 people sleeping , Dickinson fireplace and an additional fan Running. Most of it was either in the rain or in the snow though
Propane sucks ...the hot air from a diesel heater is the best imo.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

smbisig

Adventurer
Propane sucks ...the hot air from a diesel heater is the best imo.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

The combustion of the Dickinson is completely contained within the unit so it only produces dry heat circulated via the built-in fan. Intake and exhaust are routed externally of the camper. So a little different than most used propane heaters in the overland and RV world that produce a lot of moisture.

renaud

The combustion of the Dickinson is completely contained within the unit so it only produces dry heat circulated via the built-in fan. Intake and exhaust are routed externally of the camper. So a little different than most used propane heaters in the overland and RV world that produce a lot of moisture.
yes I don't think the Dickinson is at fault here. It's mostly the really high percentage of humidity combined with the fact the camper is made of Aluminium.
Also my truck is parked outside in the element and we often have several days of pretty sever rain.
I am happy with my set up and the little amount of condensation hasn't been a huge hassle for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles