Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Aleja_333

Different topic and I imagine there might be The answer I’m looking for in A different thread but does anyone have any real world experiences with driving lights mounted on the bumper vs up top in front of the camper edge? Specifically how they effect forward viz and how much glare there is if mounted up top? Thanks!

Not on the camper edge but I used to have a light bar on my roof rack and it was pretty much unusable. The glare on my hood was pretty bad so I ended up moving it to the front bumper. Light bar is now usable again.

MR E30

Not on the camper edge but I used to have a light bar on my roof rack and it was pretty much unusable. The glare on my hood was pretty bad so I ended up moving it to the front bumper. Light bar is now usable again.

I have heard this as well from my friends. They will never mount lights above the windshield ever again. Just too much glare.

smbisig

Adventurer
Different topic and I imagine there might be The answer I’m looking for in A different thread but does anyone have any real world experiences with driving lights mounted on the bumper vs up top in front of the camper edge? Specifically how they effect forward viz and how much glare there is if mounted up top? Thanks!

Even without the glare off the hood, the conditions would have to be absolutely perfect for a light bar mounted up high. Any snow, rain, or dust makes them pretty much worthless. It's always best to mount aftermarket lights as low as possible.

Stevieb.o.g

Thanks for responses! That’s kinda what I was thinking but you see so many mounted up top. it looks cool for sure but i guess kinda useless.

fourfa

Observer
116F7556-F298-4CD6-8A90-C91D51EE05AA.jpeg
Timely question. I just mounted this up on my ACCC recently. The position is really great, because there is no light at all on the hood - it’s in the shadow of the top of the windshield here. And from the driver’s seat (I’m 6’2”) I can’t see the shadow of the top of the grille on the ground either. Works really well IMHO, for when you want a high light. Lots of spill in all directions, really broad coverage, goes over the top of bumps and whoops and low brush, and really good carry distance down the trail in the center

I’m also adding low spot/flood combos low on the bumper on a separate circuit, for when I don’t want high light. Fortunately I seldom encounter bad dust on the trail (we mostly drive solo), and it’s rare for us to be off-road in heavy rain or snow (CA), so those ‘ideal conditions’ are pretty much most of my time off-road :) And that’s where having the light come from as high as possible can be nice. Between the high bar, low spots, stock LED fogs, and stock LED headlights I think that should cover a lot of conditions.

Last edited:

NorthernFocus

Hey Guys
First, thanks to all of you for asking questions and offering advice its been very educational for me reading all your posts(y). I pick up my ACCC in Feb 2023. My question is in regards to rear leaf springs. I have a 2020 Taco DCSB with OME Nitro Chargers and springs. I don't plan on overbuilding my ACCC (more utilitarian with diy cabinets, Jackery, water jugs, yeti, etc... it's a daily driver and weekend warrior (fire roads and low speed wheeling). Which of these two options do you think would fit my application better with Hammer hangers; Deaver Expedition Stage 3 (700 to 1000lbs) constant load or Dakar (OME) EL107R Hilux 600kg/ 1,300lbs constent weight. Dry weight of ACC will be about 600lbs give or take. Thanks in advance. ;)

LunarErik

Hey Guys
First, thanks to all of you for asking questions and offering advice its been very educational for me reading all your posts(y). I pick up my ACCC in Feb 2023. My question is in regards to rear leaf springs. I have a 2020 Taco DCSB with OME Nitro Chargers and springs. I don't plan on overbuilding my ACCC (more utilitarian with diy cabinets, Jackery, water jugs, yeti, etc... it's a daily driver and weekend warrior (fire roads and low speed wheeling). Which of these two options do you think would fit my application better with Hammer hangers; Deaver Expedition Stage 3 (700 to 1000lbs) constant load or Dakar (OME) EL107R Hilux 600kg/ 1,300lbs constent weight. Dry weight of ACC will be about 600lbs give or take. Thanks in advance. ;)

The Deavers are a good choice but might be overkill for what you need. If you plan on emptying your gear out between each excursion and don't have a steel rear bumper, I would choose a lower spring rate or your rear will ride on the stiffer side. You might also want to look into Dobinsons. I personally would stay away from the OME Dakars just because of my experiences with them in the past, I am sure people will defend them like anything else they bought but bottom line is there are better springs out there.

ccperkdog

73645B60-BFA1-4809-88D8-2C70D3B7B2E9.jpegManaged to fit a skateboard to a side panel without needing to change out the struts (for now). 18” perfect bungees fit the existing holes in the aluminum frame in the door.

First post on the expedition portal in years and first picture upload ever. If I get it right.

I've been lurking for years on the portal and have been mostly just been learning from what others post but I just read the previous 91 pages and thought I'd share what I build for my Alu-cabin . My old 90 dodge has 12v cummins diesel and manual 5speed with a ORD magnum 205 4speed transfer case with twin sticks.
My truck is a do it all expedition wheeling rig/tow rig / work vehicle and everyday driver with over 800k on the 30+ year old truck.

If this works out and y'all want to see more I'll try to upload more on the flatbed build for the alu-cab.
20221211_160028.jpg

Last edited:
I'm struggling a bit with figuring out how to add pictures so y'all can see the simplicity of how I built the flatbed with the toolboxes and 120gal diesel transfer tank for the alu-cabin.

I'm much more comfortable behind the wheel of a semi or a welder than I am with any electronic device. View attachment 758060View attachment 75806020221219_154133.jpg

I thought I'd throw out a pic of what the alu-cabin does for me on my job as a driveway driver ( I deliver new and used trucks)

siebermd

Adventurer
Hey Guys

I use my truck much the same as your plans. Daily Driver Weekend Touring. (see @mattsventures71) I have the Dobinson's Medium Weight springs with an add-a-leaf. I added the leaf because on occasion I am loaded up with tools to do Blacksmith demonstrations. The suspension is spot on, I couldn't be happier.

smbisig

Adventurer
First post on the expedition portal in years and first picture upload ever. If I get it right.

I've been lurking for years on the portal and have been mostly just been learning from what others post but I just read the previous 91 pages and thought I'd share what I build for my Alu-cabin . My old 90 dodge has 12v cummins diesel and manual 5speed with a ORD magnum 205 4speed transfer case with twin sticks.
My truck is a do it all expedition wheeling rig/tow rig / work vehicle and everyday driver with over 800k on the 30+ year old truck.

If this works out and y'all want to see more I'll try to upload more on the flatbed build for the alu-cab.
View attachment 758059

That's awesome!

LunarErik

I use my truck much the same as your plans. Daily Driver Weekend Touring. (see @mattsventures71) I have the Dobinson's Medium Weight springs with an add-a-leaf. I added the leaf because on occasion I am loaded up with tools to do Blacksmith demonstrations. The suspension is spot on, I couldn't be happier.

You use the Dobby AAL basically converting the 111's to 112's?

Today's project. Building a front wall with some scrap plywood to attach all my electrical too. My first order of business was to flip all the corner support brackets to I can mount the plywood approximately 2inchs from the front wall. Allowing screws to penetrate the wood but not the aluminum of the front wall. 20221227_120105.jpg20221227_124848.jpg

I think I'll put some pink board insulation behind here as well.

If details of building out the interior on a non existing budget is not allowed let me know and I'll stop adding to the thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles