Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

I really like all the South African campers (AluCab, RSI, RLD). However, these were all developed in warm climates, and so - while the latches are good at keeping out dust, they have a tendency to freeze in what us mountain folk would consider relatively mild winter conditions. There is discussion of this on Tacoma World, the Jeep Gladiator forum, and some other places. Here is an example of what it can look like:

I'm not posting this to be a hater. I think this is a real issue for people who live in the northern half of the United States. Far from being a hater, I would like to see these companies develop a latch that is better in winter conditions, because I want to buy one of their campers.

NOTE: the old school twist handles found on most fiberglass toppers can also freeze. Its happened to me, and I carry a little can of lock de-icer in my cab in the winter. However, the twist handles are much less prone to freezing than the latches found on the AluCab, RSI, and RLD campers.

lumis

I really like all the South African campers (AluCab, RSI, RLD). However, these were all developed in warm climates, and so - while the latches are good at keeping out dust, they have a tendency to freeze in what us mountain folk would consider relatively mild winter conditions. There is discussion of this on Tacoma World, the Jeep Gladiator forum, and some other places. Here is an example of what it can look like:

I'm not posting this to be a hater. I think this is a real issue for people who live in the northern half of the United States. Far from being a hater, I would like to see these companies develop a latch that is better in winter conditions, because I want to buy one of their campers.

NOTE: the old school twist handles found on most fiberglass toppers can also freeze. Its happened to me, and I carry a little can of lock de-icer in my cab in the winter. However, the twist handles are much less prone to freezing than the latches found on the AluCab, RSI, and RLD campers.

Hi, give this a look

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 48

m(a)ce

Adventurer

welcome to the forum and your 2nd post.

interesting 2nd post IMHO...

seems almost exactly like what you posted on the Gladiator forum?

093a8fe675924e5f38c49ed1d3e6309b.jpg

to address your point and reiterate what I posted on that thread- I had AluCab Canopy on my Taco (& now a Canopy Camper) and even through several winter trips to VT, NH & ME never had a freezing issue.

I’m in NJ and we get some snow and a decent amount of sleet/icing/cold temps but still no issue.

We just had a snow storm and freezing rain before Christmas that sealed me Tacoma & Jeep doors a bit but the Canopy Camper opened no problem.

I was actually surprised to hear this was an issue for others?

If it is an issue for you just why not just buy a latch cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, the posts are nearly identical, because it’s the same issue. I came onto EP looking for owner reviews of the Gladiator - not looking to post this comment. I saw the thread on AluCab and then decided to post my comment. Im not trolling, if that is what you are implying. I think people need to know about this before spending over $3,000 for a topper, and more for a camper. IMHO, the little covers are not a great solution, but I’m open to persuasion. I’d like to hear from people who have used them. However, I had covers for the two twist handles on one of my toppers years ago, and they eventually just disappeared; I don’t know what happened to them - fell off? Stolen? (Theft of a cheap rubber cover seems unlikely). I got pretty jammed up once when I was frozen out of my topper early in the morning in the parking lot of a ski resort - and was late for work. I like these South African toppers, but can’t see buying one with the current latches. If I spend 3k on a topper I expect it to open. I’m happy for you that you’ve had no trouble with yours, but spend some time researching this and you will see lots of complaints about RSI and AluCab latches frozen shut. Since you are also on the Gladiator forum you must know this to be true.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I am glad to know about the icing issues. With knowing this issue, it just means I would get the covers from day one. Sadly, there is no other canopy tent setup like the ACCC. The tailgate removal, barn door setup seals the deal for me.

The icing is annoying, but since they do have a fix, I'm still leaning towards the ACCC for my JT build.

Issues like this should never be dismissed. Every little bit of information is important. Nor, should an individual's annoyance with it be made fun of or belittled. We all have that little something that rubs us the wrong way.

Thank you for bringing this to the groups attention.

SoyBoy

I am glad to know about the icing issues. With knowing this issue, it just means I would get the covers from day one. Sadly, there is no other canopy tent setup like the ACCC. The tailgate removal, barn door setup seals the deal for me.

The icing is annoying, but since they do have a fix, I'm still leaning towards the ACCC for my JT build.

Issues like this should never be dismissed. Every little bit of information is important. Nor, should an individual's annoyance with it be made fun of or belittled. We all have that little something that rubs us the wrong way.

I agree 100% - The tailgate delete - barn door & gull-wing doors sold me on the accc right from the start. I ordered mine a month ago and as soon as I heard of the lock covers about 3 weeks ago I ordered a couple sets. I should be getting the accc at the end of January.

Thanks for your comment. Congrats on the camper - I’m sure it will be great! Like I’ve said every time I’ve mentioned the latch issue - I think the AluCab and RSI are great products. Maybe keep a little lock de-ice in the front of the truck. I have it stored with my tools and it provides nice insurance. Happy new year to all!

camodog

Adventurer
We live in the Rockies and are constantly above 11,000’ and sub freezing temps.
Never had an issue with “frozen locks”

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
We live in the Rockies and are constantly above 11,000’ and sub freezing temps.
Never had an issue with “frozen locks”
Cam dog, that is good to hear. Living just north of Boulder I’ll spend a great deal of time above 10,000’ as well. It’s either high elevation or super dry desert on the Western slope and beyond.

I wonder if it would be different if I visited family in the Midwest and was caught in a lake effect blizzard. The stuff is super wet and heavy even when the temps are super low.

SoyBoy

Cam dog, that is good to hear. Living just north of Boulder I’ll spend a great deal of time above 10,000’ as well. It’s either high elevation or super dry desert on the Western slope and beyond.

I wonder if it would be different if I visited family in the Midwest and was caught in a lake effect blizzard. The stuff is super wet and heavy even when the temps are super low.
That is exactly what I was thinking. A lake effect blizzard that may start at above freezing and drives the moisture into the locks (and everything else) Will freeze pretty solid when night time approaches. Been there done that for years with vehicle locks. That's why they sell the lock De-Icer with the straw style nozzle to get the alcohol in there.

I don't have any of the gg cabinets but the plate sits flush with the sill of the camper (not the door seal). . . . It appears the same height as the plates Ive seen without the bedrug below, but that's just me looking at it.
Yeah its confirmed the Bed rug floor will not fit with the new GG plate on my Zr2. Thats ok I will either cut a piece to size and lay it on top or use the floor and tailgate pieces to fill in for insulation on the CC itself.

seekoutbeauty

Many people have been able to install the bedrug floor piece with the Goose Gear setup, however it can cause fitment issues.
A lot of you in here have been very successful in modding your camper on your own and figuring out clever ways to solve problems. That being said, I am sure you can get it to work, but you are going to be doing so at the expense of fitment and function. I can tell you with absolute certainty, the Goose Gear stuff is measured many many times to find the best fitment possible, and adding something like a bedrug can be the difference of something fitting perfectly and not at all.

Goose Gear recommends not using the floor of the bedrug.

PS: i freaking love my Goose Gear setup.

regmilla31

I have a Bedrug with the Goose Gear plate on top of it and it fits nice and snug. I have the older 1.0 drawer module and utility cabinet which do not utilize the Alu Cab channel running along the side of the bed so I had no fitment issues. As @seekoutbeauty mentioned there will be fitment issues for you that are getting the new 2.0 system.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD

The latch used on modern Alu-Cab equipment was adopted after selling into Europe and North America and our freezing conditions. Our previous aluminum bodied latches had a far worse tendency to freeze and the road salt would quickly deteriorate the powder-coat finish on the latches. The new style latch will freeze if conditions are just right, which was the call for the rubber cover for total peace of mind.

I agree it would be great if there was a standalone weatherproof latch on the market, but the reason all the top canopy companies choose this latch is it is the best on the market. The rubber cover may seem odd, but just about every weatherproof padlock on the market has the same defense for preventing weather. (Master Lock, Abus, Abloy, Etc.) Hope this gives some insight to the situation and LMK if I can assist.

-Rin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier