Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Bigmo

How long between the two weights. Where they same day or spread out a while.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
One week. Truck is not my daily driver. Only change was camper. Topped off with fuel both times before weight. It weighs what it weighs. No big deal.

ITTOG

One week. Truck is not my daily driver. Only change was camper. Topped off with fuel both times before weight. It weighs what it weighs. No big deal.
I believe you and don't have any skin in the game. Just a thought I had reading through some of the questions. Of course the thought was that is it was longer there could be creep or an incident with the scale calibration. Probably not a factor here and you just have numbers people don't want to read.

seekoutbeauty

Bigmo

I believe you and don't have any skin in the game. Just a thought I had reading through some of the questions. Of course the thought was that is it was longer there could be creep or an incident with the scale calibration. Probably not a factor here and you just have numbers people don't want to read.

I don't want to dwell on it. Definitely cold be human or mechanical error at the scale. Always possible. This is a very well built product better than other wedge campers that I entertained. Being well built/addition of various options could contribute to the weight. What my camper weighs is just that my camper. Every camper will likely be different do to the range of options available. I would recommend this product hands down.

seekoutbeauty

@rino - Thanks so much for the help with ordering the camper. I am stoked.

For future people who are going through this thread and considering the Canopy camper, here is how I came to the decision.

Background:
I have a 2017 Tacoma. I've added a lot of suspension and like to go fast and occasionally visit Moab and do a little rock crawling.
I previously had a Snugtop Camper Shell and a Tepui RTT, but the weight of that setup, along with the high center of gravity, setup time, and overall experience when setting up and breaking down in snowy conditions lead me to switching setups. I began researching campers with integrated rooftop tents and was torn between Vagabond and GFC. Ultimately, I decided to go with the GFC because of aesthetic and price. I joined the waitlist and waited about 10 months before grabbing a used one from a buddy (for a great price) and selling my spot for a small profit (Which was ready about 3 weeks later).
Fast forward 6 months and I knew it wasn't the camper for me. The GFC just isn't the best tent, and it's not the best camper. Setting up the bed with the inability to have most of the bed deployed is an absolute pain when sleeping with my girlfriend. Opening the tent is 10 seconds, but getting a queen size sleeping bag laid out and pillows set up, etc etc took 5+ mins. On top of that, clean up means removing everything from the bed, because the tent is too slim to close anything up in it. That also means keeping sleeping stuff in the cab of the truck, because if you keep it in the bed, it gets filthy.

Why the Canopy Camper:
After looking at what else was on the market (a few companies came up with wedge style campers since I originally went for the GFC) Vagabond was still at the top of the list (But cost and wait time was not great), and then AT Overland had the Summit. The Canopy Camper was something I was telling people for months that they should check out. My big concern with the way I drive my truck is weight. The canopy camper is listed at a heavier weight than some of the other options, and then the cost is also up there. The summit has narrow walls and the sleeping area is quite small. I have also heard of a few folks who aren't happy with the AT Overland build quality of their campers.
So here we are...
The Canopy camper comes in at 460lbs (according to the website). It replaces the tailgate, which on the tacoma is 70lbs. (390 added weight). A GFC is 275 according to their website, and the Vagabond is around 440, but as soon as you add gulwing doors to the Vagabond, you exceed the 460lbs. I also have my 35x12.5x17 spare tire in my bed. My high clearance rear bumper is too high clearance to add a Rigd ultraswing, and the weight of adding a tire swing to my bumper was not something I was looking to do again. The Canopy Camper solves for that as well, but is limited to a 33" tire. I thought about this for quite some time and figured I would have my fabricator create an offset tire carrier that pushes the tire an inch off center (away from the hinge) and then I will skip the molle panels as well. An ultraswing weighs about 70 pounds as well, and the tire carrier we fab up shouldn't be more than 30 pounds... we are now looking at about 360lbs of added weight vs a GFC of 275+70 (tire swing) = 346lbs.... but I also get no dust in through the tailgate, a tent that holds my sleeping stuff, that I can stand in with part of the bed open, and just overall better build quality. Another big feature that is mentioned in this thread is that some of the weight of the camper will be placed on the bed. That is a big one for me, as I have fiberglass fenders.
Then you have adding the features that come standard with the Alu-Cab, and when configured with the equivalent Vagabond setup, you exceed the cost.

I think the AluCab falls off the radar of a lot of guys like me (Go Fast, Long Travel, Rock Crawl). We will see how things hold up, but I have no doubt that Alu-Cab build quality will exceed that of the other choices.
@rino was great in answering some of my questions and I have no doubt that his support will exceed that of many of the others out there.

I just hope I can get past having something even taller and more boxy on the truck. Hopefully the wide body and larger tires make the camper fit the truck a little better.

The wait time is only a couple of months, which is insane when comparing it to the 12 month + wait times of the other choices out there.

What's Next:
I have a few things to figure out. I am still trying to keep things as light as possible, but I absolutely love the Goosegear setup. I am considering running it partially, like some of you guys here. I am also considering building a platform that closes off the wheel wells and levels things off. Under the platform I would store my tools and recovery gear. On top I might do a pad that we can sit on (Imagine facing the tailgate while sitting on it and having your legs hang off). Building materials I am thinking birch or preferably aluminum (maybe Diamond plate)
I currently keep all tool and my floor jack in a Roam case (Which I love). I may just grab another and use it for cooking. Maybe some aluminum boxes?
(I would love some thoughts from those of you that may have some ideas or suggestions.)

Here's a couple of shots of the truck...
1nLMgLw.jpg

C3Waii9.jpg

Last edited:

emulous74

I would also suggest checking and occasionally re-tightening the bolts that hold the legs to the table. I've had them come loose before.

camodog

Adventurer
@rin
"Soon" ? This has been quite the challenge to find a reliable manufacture and get this past the finish line but we are almost ready to launch.

It is 13 gallons.

for the gladiator folks, would this be able to go between the cab and the bulkhead if the camper? There is significant room that is under utilized for this location.

see pic

40820D61-E8B5-4DC6-A218-22D28F5F1D7E.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles