Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

DNLUSK

I have been watching Voetspore on You tube, I did not know they do tours, rentals and fitment. You can rent the Toyota in your post. Is that a V8 in that Land Cruiser?

lumis

What rack do you have on your cab and do you have the table. Hard to tell from the pics. I just posted I ordered my camper for a long bed today. Although I haven't bought my long bed so am searching for 2nd or 3rd gen tacoma. I was under the impression for some reason a rack wouldn't fit under the camper with a 3rd Gen with the table. Thanks!
Sorry I have not responded just now seeing this. No I don’t have a table I’m pretty sure if you did you would need a half rack. This is the front runner rack and I had to modify it to make it fit. Although I believe Frontrunner makes a low profile rack now.

Bark40

New wheels and tires. Like how it turned out. Went with 285/70r17s and Method 701s. However, I'm having trouble mounting the Method 701 spare to the wheel mount now. First, the wheel holes on the Method 701 are too small in diameter to fit over the part of the wheel stud that protrudes past the plate (see picture with my finger pointing to that). Then, the nut is too big to let me tighten the wheel down and the studs that come with the Alu-Cab Tire Carrier are too large in diameter for a spline lugnut. Anyone else have this issue and what was your fix? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20200422_175753.jpg
    20200422_175753.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 171
  • 20200422_175815_HDR.jpg
    20200422_175815_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 166
  • 20200424_165045.jpg
    20200424_165045.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 150
  • 20200424_165142.jpg
    20200424_165142.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 126
Just took delivery of our Canopy Camper. The 3-hour drive from Denver to Steamboat Springs was great. Josh at Juniper Overland was very easy to work with and very helpful. A couple of issues: The rods that bend and keep the tent flap tightly deployed are L-shaped on one end (I see where these fit onto the back of the Camper) but the other end is straight. There is no way for the top of the rod to grab and pull the grommet on the tent flap. Did someone forget to bend the top end of the rod into a hook shape?

I also purchased the Alu-Cab 5-lb propane tank mount. The tank has a ring on the base with holes in the ring. The tank mount has teeth that are supposed to go in these holes, but the teeth and holes don't line up. It looks like it is designed for non-USA tanks that have a bigger ring on the bottom and different hole locations. I'm not going to go to the trouble to try to find a tank that "might" fit. Does anyone know of a tank mount that works with USA 5-lb tanks and will bolt to the rear molle plate? Thanks!

Waiting for travel restrictions to ease up so we can take it on its first outing! Very Stoked!

@SteamboatSprings - as for the metal rods for the "tent awning" seems somebody forgot to do the bending. as for the 5lb tank mount- i sent you a a private message- i have one that i installed and then removed that i would sell you. Hope all are safe, we had a chance to get away this wekend near home:

The panoramic is from the top of Reddish Knob near Harrisonburg VA

Attachments

• IMG_2221.JPG
    IMG_2221.JPG
    776.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2223.JPG
    IMG_2223.JPG
    282.2 KB · Views: 88
FORGOT TO Post- I started writing this last summer and never posted, so thought i would throw it up here

The Alu Cab Canopy Camper!
My review after traveling and living in it for the last month.

Where to start…… I had been looking at several different campers from the GFC, drifter, Snap treehouse, and the OVRLND Camper. Given that none of them fit my needs (ovrlnd was the closest), I started designing what I wanted in autocad and began talking with fabricators. I had cost budgeted $9,000 for my one off and these were my criteria:
  • Had to be able to carry 4 kayaks (200 lbs) on the roof and they had to be able to stay on it when lifting the tent- I had no interest in unloading the roof every time I wanted to sleep!
  • Wanted vertical or near vertical sides so you would have useable space as a “camper”
  • Camper need to weigh less than 500lbs
  • Side Doors required
The day I received the quote from the fabricator for just the shell/frame ($5,000) still needed the tent, hinges, shocks and all hardware plus assembly- I was also researching for my frame replacement on tacoma world and found the AluCab camper. I immediately called OK4wd and lucky for me they had one for a 6ft bed that somebody had backed out on only the week before- needless to say I bought it sight unseen after discovering that its measurements were almost identical to what I had drawn myself- only not a one off and with a proven design for the tent section.
So how has the canopy camper results been- one word- Excellent. The canopy camper certainly has a few issues or things that I think can be improved but overall it is built tough and survived several 30+ mph windstorms, torrential downpours, teeth rattling roads, and miles of dusty desert roads.
Last Summer I drove 6300 miles from VA to Idaho and back going through the rockies in CO, the desert in Moab, the sawtooth mountains in ID, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, and then the Ozarks and Smoky Moutains on my way home. the first half of the trip was just my son and I, but the last 8 days we slept 4 adults in the camper- comfortably I will add. The Boys (over 6 ft tall) slept in the canopy bed with the rear hatch open always, while my wife and I slept in the bed of the truck (I had built a raised sleeping platform)
It was a weird spring summer and while in Colorado and Utah we experienced an early monsoon season with rain everyday in the afternoons the tent and awning kept us dry and warm in the evenings (low 40s most nights)
  • Biggest Win- If you want to carry gear on top and still use your tent- this is the only camper I found that will support 220 lbs on the roof with the camper opened and having it open with 4 kayaks on the roof with 30+ mph winds and not seeing or feeling any flexing in the frame / tent. Nitpick- the frame will flex if the load is not balanced making it harder to open and close as well that flexing has caused some of the powder coat to popoff around a few rivets. ( I now make sure load is balanced before opening- ie make sure balanced when loaded)
  • A useable awning- Being a kayaker we camp a lot in the rain and having an awning to keep us dry is a must- being able to open and actually use it quickly a Godsend. The awning can be opened and closed within a minute, has no legs nec unless windy (I only used the leg when the wind was blowing more the 20+) and the bracket is strong enough that you can use the arms for pullups! This is by far the best awning I have ever used.
  • Nitpicks- minor things that should be addressed in the future 1. The tiedown straps will never go back where they are supposed to in the frame- need someway to keep out of the way easier. 2. Cheap plastic buckles that don’t allow the strap to adjust. 3. Rivet placed near the ne leg storage is in the way and cause the leg to bind when taking it out or putting it away.
  • Structure- with near vertical sides you have actual useable space inside the camper and with the bed raised you have over 6ft of height in the entire truck bed.
  • Nitpick- required “beauty panel” to eliminate the C channel it created in the front of the camper and became a wind trap. See Pic below:

• Nitpick 2. Powdercoat is applied really thick in the areas of the load bar channels making it extremely frustrating to get any bolts or nuts in the track – minor but annoying. Another annoying one the hinges for the back tent hatch as well as the tent fabric appear to be riveted on. Why not use rivnuts like was done on the door- I understand it saves a few bucks but makes serviceability or repair in the future a complete Hassle – I would like to remove hatch as well would like to remove inner wall of tent fabric so that I can add some Velcro strips for attaching things and what should have been relatively simple becomes a nightmare.

Link to my build thread and pics: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/my-old-camper-setup-and-my-new-alu-cab-canopy-camper.604871/

camodog

Adventurer
Just took delivery of our Canopy Camper. The 3-hour drive from Denver to Steamboat Springs was great. Josh at Juniper Overland was very easy to work with and very helpful.

Please keep us updated on the propane mount. I ordered the same one. I also ordered from Juniper and hope to have it installed soon. This 4 month wait has been killing me

We need pics!!!!

m(a)ce

Adventurer
got tired of stepping/kneeling on the hard Tacoma bed so added a Bedrug mat. space is a little more homey and the mat easily removed for cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d54964c7379c70f594c4230cc98179d0.jpg

Last edited:
Sirius/XM antenna reroute?
The camper extends over and blocks the Sirius/XM antenna causing frequent signal loss. I have a Chevy Colorado with a stubby screw-in antenna at the back of the roof. Anyone tried to re-route the antenna? Thanks!

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Just took delivery of our Canopy Camper. The 3-hour drive from Denver to Steamboat Springs was great. Josh at Juniper Overland was very easy to work with and very helpful. A couple of issues: The rods that bend and keep the tent flap tightly deployed are L-shaped on one end (I see where these fit onto the back of the Camper) but the other end is straight. There is no way for the top of the rod to grab and pull the grommet on the tent flap. Did someone forget to bend the top end of the rod into a hook shape?

I also purchased the Alu-Cab 5-lb propane tank mount. The tank has a ring on the base with holes in the ring. The tank mount has teeth that are supposed to go in these holes, but the teeth and holes don't line up. It looks like it is designed for non-USA tanks that have a bigger ring on the bottom and different hole locations. I'm not going to go to the trouble to try to find a tank that "might" fit. Does anyone know of a tank mount that works with USA 5-lb tanks and will bolt to the rear molle plate? Thanks!

Waiting for travel restrictions to ease up so we can take it on its first outing! Very Stoked!

Hey, they should be near straight on one side that enters the camper mount and the "L" on the side in the vestibule. If you need a hand drop me a PM.

For the propane mount, it is designed for a Manchester 5lb tank. Another great option that requires a little drilling is the Expedition Essentials 11lb mount.

Boltripper

This is the link to the manchester tank....

Manchester 5lb

The Expedition Essentials is super stout and glad we got it on the Khaya - Just another option if you want a larger external gas bottle as it hold the 11lb worthington bottle.

Best,

John

Please keep us updated on the propane mount. I ordered the same one. I also ordered from Juniper and hope to have it installed soon. This 4 month wait has been killing me

We need pics!!!!
hey Camodog: I explained the propane issue to Josh at PO and he got it right away. There are pictures out there of the Alu-cab propane holder but if you look close, the propane bottles (South African/European) have a bigger ring on the bottom with a bulge. It just won't fit the US bottles. I took pictures and sent the Alu-Cab propane holder back to Josh. He said he would swap for Expedition Essentials propane quick bottle mount which is better b/c it can hold both 5lb and 10lb bottles. My camper arrived in mid-March and I dropped the truck off on March 26, the day before stay at home. It was there for a month and I kept thinking of other upgrades to buy (solar, 2nd battery, electric cooler) so Josh and I are both happy about that. Mine took 5 months to arrive in Arvada. That was a great call to get. Heads-up: if you have a rooftop antenna, the camper will block any satellite signal. probably easier to relocate before the camper goes on. JO doesn't do that work. Good Luck and get camping soon! I will post pics.

Does anyone know the weight limit of the CC back door? I'm thinking of mounting the Hi-lift on the outside of the back door and kitchen on the inside. Total weight would be about 85 pounds. Can door and hinges handle that much? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier