Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

meental

Observer
Can anyone tell me the bed measurements for the 2 halves? Thinking of just using the larger part and removing the smaller flip up portion, GF and I are both on the shorter side.

scroll towards bottom of that thread and you can see pics of what we did- yes it is easy to sleep without the back hatch but i am 5' 11' and find that my feet will hit the roof and you will also need something to keep the tent from falling in the truck bed when closed so i used a trifold 8.5" wide set of boards to give me a little more room (not needed my boys both 6') slept up top for a week while my wife and i slept in the truck bed. I personal hate the hatch because it just makes it a roof top tent PIA in my mind. BUT be warned evrything is glued before it is riveted so somewhat of a pain to remove. oh- i think the length of the big bed is 77"

lumis

Can anyone tell me the bed measurements for the 2 halves? Thinking of just using the larger part and removing the smaller flip up portion, GF and I are both on the shorter side.
I believe the big mattress is 74 inches long. That is the rough measurement I had for mine in my notes from getting a fitted sheet.

rvrboy

Goose gear has landed! Bedrug, Goose Gear and NL Dual 50L installed. I ended up putting in a Bedrug liner to help insulate the truck bed before dropping in the GG floor plate (Rin's pics on IG of the inside of the camper at at -1 degrees was a good motivator!). Tight fit but worked out great. The Bedliner is 100% recycled material with 3/4" of closed cell foam. Will not mold or mildew or absorb water. Can't believe how much quieter the truck is. Electric panel & solar next!Tacoma Alu-Cab Interior 01 012620.jpegTacoma Alu-Cab Interior 01 012620.jpegTacoma Alu-Cab Interior 03 012620.jpegGG & NL Install 03.jpeg.

camodog

Adventurer
Goose gear has landed! Bedrug, Goose Gear and NL Dual 50L installed. I ended up putting in a Bedrug liner to help insulate the truck bed before dropping in the GG floor plate (Rin's pics on IG of the inside of the camper at at -1 degrees was a good motivator!). Tight fit but worked out great. The Bedliner is 100% recycled material with 3/4" of closed cell foam. Will not mold or mildew or absorb water. Can't believe how much quieter the truck is. Electric panel & solar next!View attachment 564963View attachment 564963View attachment 564965View attachment 564966.

This is exactly what my set up will be when it’s delivered in June/July. Except my boxes are dewalt

DNLUSK

Just back from a trip

IMG_4184.JPGWhite Rim Road Normally not a challenge, but when all the climes, descents and narrow ledges are covered in snow,I was very nervous.
IMG_4225.JPGValley of the Gods
IMG_4315.JPGJohnson Valley (King of the Hammers)
IMG_4331.JPGGlamis, Imperial sand dunes
IMG_4338.JPGBLM camp near Tuscan

Most nights were cold, the diesel heater kept the camper very comfortable: good thing I had some spare parts, the fuel pump failed the second night.

The truck and camper combination worked well I am very happy with it.

IMG_4291.JPG Camp on the edge of the Grand Canyon (Navajo nations land)

Rin Thanks for all your help

Attachments

• IMG_4221.JPG
    IMG_4221.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Nice! Came here looking for tips on running wires for solar on my Khaya. I believe the tops are similar. I’ve found a few holes and grommets in the body for various options. Solar is an option from the factory but it’s hard to find specific info on the web.

Perhaps Rin can chime in... ?

Bark40

What is height of your overall rigs with Alu-Cab Canopy Camper. I assume it will not fit in a 7 foot garage with lift on a Tacoma. We are working on selling our Sportsmobile and buying one of these. Over a year ago I sold my shortbed Tacoma with Four Wheel Camper Finch. We then bought a best of a Sportsmobile - Fored e350. However, two of our family members aren't into it. So really building out rig for my son and I and going back to Tacoma but we plan to go long-bed Tacoma with Alu-Cab or AT Summit. Leaning toward the Alu-Cab. We could barely squeze my Tacoma with the Four Wheel Camper in our garage with 3 inch lift on the Tacoma. I believe the Alu-Cab sits just a little taller so thinking that won't be an option. So question - if you had to remove it from time to time, how much of a pain is it to remove it? My guess is it is a pretty big pain. Our plan isn't to take it on and off but in the event we did. Thank you.

gnel

Bark it would be a big pain in the ******** to take it off and you would need a forklift or some way to hoist it with straps. My alucab height is 38 inches from the bedrails to the top of the low profile rack. I know your asking about Tacos but fyi my truck measures 7 ft 3 inches. I was lucky to have a 7´5´´ opening on my garage.

Bark40

Bark it would be a big pain in the ******** to take it off and you would need a forklift or some way to hoist it with straps. My alucab height is 38 inches from the bedrails to the top of the low profile rack. I know your asking about Tacos but fyi my truck measures 7 ft 3 inches. I was lucky to have a 7´5´´ opening on my garage.
Thank you. I thought it would be a pain, so only very rare circumstance. Basically, if we go this route we have to decide - do we want this on it 100% of the time. If not, probably not the right option. If so, then good to go.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
What is height of your overall rigs with Alu-Cab Canopy Camper. I assume it will not fit in a 7 foot garage with lift on a Tacoma. We are working on selling our Sportsmobile and buying one of these. Over a year ago I sold my shortbed Tacoma with Four Wheel Camper Finch. We then bought a best of a Sportsmobile - Fored e350. However, two of our family members aren't into it. So really building out rig for my son and I and going back to Tacoma but we plan to go long-bed Tacoma with Alu-Cab or AT Summit. Leaning toward the Alu-Cab. We could barely squeze my Tacoma with the Four Wheel Camper in our garage with 3 inch lift on the Tacoma. I believe the Alu-Cab sits just a little taller so thinking that won't be an option. So question - if you had to remove it from time to time, how much of a pain is it to remove it? My guess is it is a pretty big pain. Our plan isn't to take it on and off but in the event we did. Thank you.

My taco is on a 2" lift with 33s and I come in at a bit under 8' with a canopy camper. Since you're already thinking about removal, have you considered going for a Khaya? The removal process for those is fairly easy.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Keep meaning to take more pics, but absolutely loving my camper so far. Installed late last year, so we've only had time to get one night in between crappy weather and being quite busy. Impressed with the build quality and how straightforward it has been to work on it!

Finally getting around to doing some interior work. Used some 1/2" maple ply to build panels on either side of the rear door, and grab some Blue Seas gear to get moving with wiring. Next steps are to put in a nice floor, move the fridge to the back, and get working on simple cabinetry.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Hey jjohnson was that folding table in the back door a factory option? I like it!

It's a GP Factor folding table - so useful! Had a tailgate table on my JKU and knew I needed to add something similar to the camper. Seem to be using it every time I open the camper door now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles