International 3800 adventure bus build

HazeltheMooseWagon

Got the bathroom skylight frame in place and built some rooftop deck mounting pads. I will be welding carriage bolts head-down to mount the uni-strut to. The deck and any future solar panels will be easily mounted to the uni-strut.

f0a0b1c5944e9cc24c785b4dfc43798e.jpg

1ac7265c08183fecade18deeb267965c.jpg

280640e8dbb8a980d51af1b91171bbb2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the bathroom skylight frame in place and built some rooftop deck mounting pads. I will be welding carriage bolts head-down to mount the uni-strut to. The deck and any future solar panels will be easily mounted to the uni-strut.

f0a0b1c5944e9cc24c785b4dfc43798e.jpg

1ac7265c08183fecade18deeb267965c.jpg

280640e8dbb8a980d51af1b91171bbb2.jpg

what skylights are you planning to use?

HazeltheMooseWagon

what skylights are you planning to use?

I’m going to use flat tempered glass from a local glass shop. It is easy to source and won’t get scratched from tree limbs. I’ll probably put Rain-X on them to help them shed water. I’m sure they’ll need cleaning often.

My thoughts were that they could be easily and quickly replaced nearly anywhere in the country due to simplicity.

I’m going to use flat tempered glass from a local glass shop. It is easy to source and won’t get scratched from tree limbs. I’ll probably put Rain-X on them to help them shed water. I’m sure they’ll need cleaning often.

My thoughts were that they could be easily and quickly replaced nearly anywhere in the country due to simplicity.

Are they going to open? Or just be fixed closed?

HazeltheMooseWagon

Are they going to open? Or just be fixed closed?

They will be fixed closed and glued in place with 3M automotive seam sealer. I figure that will be the best way to make sure I don’t have another leak source. I’m probably going to keep the rear emergency exit hatch. The bus will have at least two Maxxair fans to start with, one in the wet bath and one in the main cabin area.

The rooftop will be accessed via a portable folding ladder. I thought about building a ladder onto the rear or one side of the bus but it would only have one use that way and might not be convenient depending on where the bus is parked. A portable ladder would allow me to mount the bus from any side and also climb trees or other structures if needed.

chet6.7

Explorer
I think a white roof is a good idea, the member that is an offload photographer put some paint that is more reflective on his U Haul build. Maybe someone will remember the details.

Wyuna

Observer
white roof for sure, it'll reflect the heat and not absorb as much heat compared to a darker coloured roof colour.

That skylight frame looks strong enough to support a turret gun :LOL:

enjoying the build thread (y)

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Very cool build! Youve thought about the pros/cons of that platform and size.

I dont know much about the skoolie world, but what keeps them from falling apart when they get all twisted up on offroady roads? Theres no subframe for the habitat. Im sure that long frame has to twist.

The rivets have enough give? What about the interior elements, once walls/furniture/etc get bolted in place it makes that whole shell more rigid(like bulkheads in a boat). Doesnt is that cause issues?

-Chris

HazeltheMooseWagon

I’m not sure how well the “skoolie” interiors hold up over time, but I am sure you’re right about the long frame flexing. I don’t know what a fully loaded bus would do when it encounters uneven terrain, but I tested mine empty and surprisingly, the suspension did nearly all of the flexing. It seems that the body construction is rigid enough to hold the frame “flat-ish” in those situations.

My focus will be on building a more flexible suspension to protect the frame and body. I also plan to build the interior with steel framed components, isolated with rubber to protect them. Imagine cutting concrete and filling in the gaps with caulking to preserve each individual section.

The link below will take you to a video about Toyota’s KDSS. I plan on building a swaybar system similar to this which will make it corner flat while still allowing flexibility off-road.

https://youtu.be/NLF6n3nMwww

Willsfree

Awesome build, I have long dreamed of a modified school bus for the ultimate travel rig. The high clearance and all road travel to pick up the kids in rural areas seemed like a winner. Your rig is a skoolie on steroids. I enjoyed your ************** dirt road handling pics.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I’m not sure how well the “skoolie” interiors hold up over time, but I am sure you’re right about the long frame flexing. I don’t know what a fully loaded bus would do when it encounters uneven terrain, but I tested mine empty and surprisingly, the suspension did nearly all of the flexing. It seems that the body construction is rigid enough to hold the frame “flat-ish” in those situations.

My focus will be on building a more flexible suspension to protect the frame and body. I also plan to build the interior with steel framed components, isolated with rubber to protect them. Imagine cutting concrete and filling in the gaps with caulking to preserve each individual section.

The link below will take you to a video about Toyota’s KDSS. I plan on building a swaybar system similar to this which will make it corner flat while still allowing flexibility off-road.

https://youtu.be/NLF6n3nMwww

Look forward to seeing how you incorporate that toyota system into your build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94