INEOS Grenadier

nickw

Adventurer
All the facts are correct. Locked transfer cases are old school but not a PITA.

My TJR is has a locked transfer case but with shift on the fly it is as easy as gearing down an automatic transmission.

Then comes why go from 4WD to 2WD when finding dry pavement.... This is a myth busters topic. In todays 4WDs with equal front axle, rear axle ratios there is no reason to change to 2WD especially on the highway. I do it all day long, 4WD over ice, compact, slush and dry pavement. The only time 4WD is a bad choice is parking between two BMWs at WalMart when the locked transfer case will try to push you in a straight line. Or turning into the parking lot or turning a corner on ice.

But will you break anything in 4WD on dry pavement... NO.... watch rock Crawlers on granite.... granite is like glue if something was going to break it would break there as everything is locked up and frames are articulating.... Look at the black rubber that skids off on slick rock. Go into a parking lot, shift into 4WD and do figure 8s. Yes the driveline will bind, wheels will hop and skid but if anything breaks you bought a crap 4x4.... I have done this with my Rubicon and all that happens is I wear a bit of rubber off the tires. On the highway there is zero concern, your only concern is as you turn into a parking stall or parking lot.... use the convenience of Shift on the Fly so you won't plow in a straight line.

Not to say I'd not like a full time transfer case but part time is just different, not bad.

This might be my favourite transfer case.

View attachment 766726
I don't turn it on and off in a straight line but in town turning into parking lots etc. I will drop it back into 2wd since it binds up, especially when turning full lock into my driveway, I've always been told not to. I've seen a truck break in a parking lot from that before, blew out a Ujoint. I hear what you are saying about offroad rigs but that certainly isn't ideal for them and they know their way around Ujoint replacements.

Grassland

When is a transfer case, a differential?
When it allows slip, as opposed to be fully locked?
Most of the vehicles I owned were part time 4x4 so the transfer case was either locked in 4hi or 4 low, or was "open" and no power to front differential. My 08 Ranger and 14 F150 having been examples of that.
My WJs had the I want to say NV247 case, which in my understanding has a physical lock up in 4lo, but is some sort of pump driven clutch pack set up in 4hi that allows slip.
Still not what I'd call a "differential" even tho I guess it allows "differentiating"

What exactly is the Gren using?

XJLI

Adventurer
What exactly is the Gren using?

A "ground-up" designed piece by Tremec thats pretty much a copy of a Land Rover LT230. Gear driven, "E" pattern shift.. high and low up/down; lock and unlocked center diff left/right. 2.5:1 low.

This is the LT230 for example:

RNI565.jpg

nickw

Adventurer
A "ground-up" designed piece by Tremec thats pretty much a copy of a Land Rover LT230. Gear driven, "E" pattern shift.. high and low up/down; lock and unlocked center diff left/right. 2.5:1 low.

This is the LT230 for example:

RNI565.jpg
Maybe I'm slow but that is not a intuitive graphic at all. Why the "1 / 2" at the bottom? What does the "0<->5" have to do with anything? So the transfercase is a figure 8 pattern? When on the left you have diff locked when on right you have open diff, High and Low in each?

dragonbyu

Observer
Maybe I'm slow but that is not a intuitive graphic at all. Why the "1 / 2" at the bottom? What does the "0<->5" have to do with anything? So the transfercase is a figure 8 pattern? When on the left you have diff locked when on right you have open diff, High and Low in each?
[
1 / 2 shows the order of operations.
First you slow down to less than 5 mph put trans in neutral.
Second operation is move the transfer case lever to low or high depending on conditions.
Left is diff lock. Right is transfer case open. Yes high and low in each.

nickw

Adventurer
That ^^^ would be a maintenance issue. Far better to break a u-joint in a parking lot than crossing a swift water stream.... I have never broken a u=joint mostly because my Jeep goes to a shop twice a year for an oil change..... and any good shop/mechanic will check the driveline, steering, brakes..... even the lights, signals and wipers as part of that semi annual oil change. Last oil change they also changed the transfer case oil.

You get what you pay for and often it saves you a lot of grief.

PS
An idiot can break anything.
I still think you are going to have the most ideal traction situation on dry pavement and probably most likely to break something vs rocks or offroad. Offroad, even on rocks, you should have some wheel slip F -> R, pavement you wont besides your tires slipping / scrubbing. My Ram 2500 gets a downright nasty bind on dry pavement, the longer wheel base vs my older trucks is certainly part of the reason.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

Was interested to hear Scott Brady say that the F&R lockers are e-lockers. Anyone know if they're actual Eaton brand?

ChasingOurTrunks

I understand that "E Locker" in this context is "Electronic Locker" meaning they use an electronic servo to engage and disengage the locker. Might even be magical magnets involved. I thought the lockers were Eaton, but I haven't been able to find a source that 100% confirms why I think that. But they are for sure electronic (not air, not cable) so until we know for sure I would assume "e-locker" means "electronic locker" and not "eaton locker".

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I understand that "E Locker" in this context is "Electronic Locker" meaning they use an electronic servo to engage and disengage the locker. Might even be magical magnets involved. I thought the lockers were Eaton, but I haven't been able to find a source that 100% confirms why I think that. But they are for sure electronic (not air, not cable) so until we know for sure I would assume "e-locker" means "electronic locker" and not "eaton locker".

I concur e-locker = electronic locker.
Eaton's e-locker is one of the more popular brands out there so I was wondering if anyone knew if they were Eaton's e-lockers or another brand.

nickw

Adventurer
I concur e-locker = electronic locker.
Eaton's e-locker is one of the more popular brands out there so I was wondering if anyone knew if they were Eaton's e-lockers or another brand.
Special axles I'd guess the e-locker is proprietary to axle manuf....that would be my guess

Test drove them today in Dahlonega, GA

They are SUPER freaking smooth off road. The suspension travel is ridiculous but yet somehow they body stays upright/doesnt keep over like a Wrangler does. B58's torque is fantastic too. Visibility is excellent.

Attachments

• 339122654_938632890506447_2688167116613671391_n.jpg
    339122654_938632890506447_2688167116613671391_n.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 339145935_1824942067887616_8621011390888119754_n.jpg
    339145935_1824942067887616_8621011390888119754_n.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 40
  • 339166416_1879073752457578_3761319278250609284_n.jpg
    339166416_1879073752457578_3761319278250609284_n.jpg
    668.9 KB · Views: 39

utherjorge

Observer
The reviews across the board are extremely positive from the test drive experiences.
This could actually be a really awesome competitor in the vehicle market.
I think the cost will be a concern, but as all vehicles have hit the stratosphere recently, this may not be as big an issue as I thought before.

The interior concerns I have read in reviews will be a larger worry; my GX has no space up front though aftermarket solutions exist and I've adding them this weekend, for example.

BMW reliability and service options will be huge, and at this point, it's a major failure for nothing to be geolocated. Searching through Bosch itself sends you to a perpetual circle of non-answers, where no service stations can be searched for in the US. A year out...and no one can say where you'd take this rig in to get factory service?

And yes, I have read that BMW will do the service for the drivetrain.

This article said "200 locations by the end of 2022:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles