Imperial Outdoors Xplore XR22

MOT26

I cant believe i have internet but i am in the X22 right now in snow and 15 degree weather. The extra water tank was just under 2k but i dont think the extra batteries and inverter were near the 6k mark. Ill have to double check when i get home.

I ordered a small 1000watt Honda generator which arrives tomorrow. The hondas are supposed to fix in the metal boxes on the back and thats where ill store it when camping. Since you run everything through your battery bank i was told it was best just to charge the batteries as opposed to running appliances off it. You can get a way woth a much smaller generator this way. Ill probably travel with it in the bed of the pick up.
How often/long is the heater running? What temp do you have it set to? Thanks in advance.

rockinrobin

How often/long is the heater running? What temp do you have it set to? Thanks in advance.
Hello, The X22 has an on-demand water heater. It ignites the propane when you turn on the hot water and turns off as soon as you stop.
I don't have my X22, delivery late November, yet I have an on-demand water heater with the rig I use now and it is easy to get scalded if you don't have it set right. A good shower has changed everything and I camped in my rig 4 months last year :cool:

Id like to know how often the furnace turns on in the X22 in 15 degree weather?

rockinrobin

Hello, The X22 has an on-demand water heater. It ignites the propane when you turn on the hot water and turns off as soon as you stop.
I don't have my X22, delivery late November, yet I have an on-demand water heater with the rig I use now and it is easy to get scalded if you don't have it set right. A good shower has changed everything and I camped in my rig 4 months last year :cool:

Id like to know how often the furnace turns on in the X22 in 15 degree weather?
I see I replied about the water heater, yet the question was also about the furnace/heater. Id like to know the answer too. Ive just added the extra battery package to my order! The X22 is 90 days until delivery the Imperial factory told me yesterday.

We now at 30% battery at day 5. Temperatures at night have been from 10 degrees to 20 degrees approximately. Thermostat has been 68-70 degrees though we turn it down to 57 during the day when we are out hunting. Daytime temperatures have been in in the 50's so I doubt the furnace runs at all during the day when we aren't there or perhaps very little. It only takes a few minutes to warm up the trailer. Furnace goes off and on throughout the night. It's not like you set it and it only goes on once. Can't give give an exact amount of times because I am sleeping but it has to be greater than 10 times if that helps. We have had 2 good days of solar charging. Hope this helps!

Raspy

How are people doing with reliability? My trailer has been an on-going disappointment as has the company. I've been making a list of issues from my trailer and other owners from different sites. I would appreciate hearing about others issues as well as I've promised to send them all to the CEO of Nelson who is the parent company of Imperial - he already has my preliminary list and and and.... There is some innovation there but build quality for the money has been beyond sub-par in my experience.

How about being a little more specific. Simply being disappointed tells us nothing. What problems are you referring to?

Raspy

I've had my Xplore X22 for about three months and have used it quite a bit and towed it about 4,000 miles. I have the off-grid package with 480 AH of lithium.

Here is a list of my modifications:
Install a 4.5 tonne McHitch trailer coupler and get rid of the ridiculous Lock N Roll hitch.
Install 460 watts of solar with glass collectors mounted on the tent rack. Install all new wiring for these to the solar controller. Disconnect the factory panels.
Move the propane bottles to the rear of the trailer and take off one spare tire.
Add propane quick disconnect fitting.
Remove pin on swing-away tire mount and replace with bolt.
Add second front storage box where the propane used to be.
Upgrade the jack to an 'Ultimate" jack with more travel and permanent mount.
Install an Anderson plug and charging wire from the tongue to the batteries.
Replace the Laveo toilet with a Separett brand "Tiny" model and pipe the pee to the gray tank.
Replace the shower doors with a shower curtain.
Install a microwave and storage tubes in the cabinet above the stove. This stores a wine bottle, kitchen knives, plastic wrap, hot pads and bags.
Install a cell phone booster and Blue-Ray player.
Moved the TV up 5" and remounted it.
Added a paper towel holder.
Install 120 volt outlets in the microwave cabinet and the cell booster cabinet above the TV.
Make a poly cutting board to fit the sink.
Install USB lights and plugs above the main switch panel to light the switches and the entry with a red glow at night.
Remove the ladder.
Add weather stripping around the pass-through doors and adjust the main door to better seal out dust.
Add inside pull handle to close the door.
Add screen door railing.
Remove and caulk all lower trim pieces, next to the frame rails, remove and caulk the fenders. All mounting screws upgraded to number 12 X 3/4" stainless.
Add 2" memory foam pad on bed.
Add bubble level on tongue.
Seal underneath holes with spray foam.
Remove factory steps. I now have a 9" high single step that stores inside the door.
Add key hook next to entry door.

I have not plugged the trailer in since I bought it, when I plugged it in at ROA just to test the system. We use all the power we want including the microwave, TV and Blue-Ray, lighting, heater and fridge. We charge phones and computers. The freezer is cold at about 0 degrees F all the time. The batteries always recover to 100% by about noon unless it's cloudy or is exceptionally cold, and then by about 2PM.

The bed is 54" wide, not 48" wide as was previously stated by someone.

Future projects to start after our next trip:
Add positive pressure filtered air system to keep all dust out.
Make a larger dinette table that will still work as a bed.
Add a reading light and a USB port near the bed.
Install restaurant style tableware and utensil holders on wall next to the sink.
Add a proper backsplash behind sink and stainless heat shield next to the stove.
Finish the installation of the new High-Lift jack mount. This mounts on the front and is a much better system than Imperial uses on the rear of the trailer.

When I bought mine, I opted to not get the extra 30 gallon water tank. Here's why:
With the waterless toilet, water usage drops dramatically and 30 gallons works well.
The new tank setup is ONLY for summer. It is not winterized.
I carry five gallon plastic water cans in the truck which can be filled anywhere and brought to the trailer to refill the onboard 30 gallon tank when we are parked.
We use bottled water to drink and cook.
The added tank is expensive.

If anyone is interested in joining another conversation about the X22, come on over to the Facebook page: Xplore 22 trailer community. Lots of information there and a nice community.

Last edited:

Raspy

Of course; delaminating outer roof / skin (about 20 spots), interior leaks that have accumulated water on the inside of the ceiling and thankfully run out into the shower, the inner ceiling delaminating from the backing, the AC draining between the outer skin and the roofline (leaking out at the upper trim line feet from the AC), substitute screw being used that are way to small for the application and the trim pulling off in the wind, led light strips have delaminated and blown off, city water hook up leaking, rear tailgate gasket not installed properly letting weather and water in, main entry door so far out of square the screen door couldn't even hit the latch, screws not fully installed or stripped needing locks and other hardware to be replaced .... this is the warm up list and all on one trailer, though I have heard of several of these issues on others, as well as wheel bearings not packed with grease etc. I would like to hear what other issues people have seen as I've been funneling all of the back to the company. Communication with the company was good at first, but shy on action, now it appears non-existent.
That is an extremely long list. Some things I don't understand. Why are you including that some others may have had wheel bearing problems if you haven't? How does that relate to you? The ceiling is T&G cedar and not fully attached to the structure above it. It is designed that way. Sounds like the screen door needs to be adjusted. My main door needed to be adjusted, but it wasn't something I chose to complain to the factory about. I consider that to be routine maintenance that the owner must be capable of doing. The exterior trim screws have been a problem and I have replaced most of mine with another type. The roof "delamination" isn't necessarily a problem and you might do a bit of research on the subject. Roof leaks are a big problem. Your list is so long and growing that it doubt you will ever be satisfied. Has your dealer been helpful?

Raspy

I agree that delamination is an unfortunate issue, but the way you describe it is not accurate. The roof membrane is not what seals the roof. The roof is already waterproof before the membrane goes on. It is simply a UV inhibitor for the roof. If you've had leaks it is because of some other fault in the system. For all new buyers, that membrane system has been eliminated.

There is no way you are going to get the manufacturer to "address" issues that others may have had, on your trailer, when there was no failure on your trailer. Wheel bearings are a good example of that. Wheel bearings are a normal maintenance issue that is best done soon after purchase, and after that, every twelve months or twelve thousand miles as recommended by Dexter axle. After the first couple of services, that period can be extended if everything looks good.

If I looked hard enough and wanted to bad enough I could find a long list of things I wish were better. But that's not what I'm interested in. I bought it to use. And that is what I'm doing. It is durable, efficient, easy to tow, comfortable, just the right size, and very capable in winter. I'll do a lot of upgrades to make it better. Better for me. I just got out of a Black Series that had far more issues than this one, and a factory that was rude, arrogant and difficult to deal with. Before that I had an Oliver which is arguably the best trailer made and backed up by an outstanding company. That one had design flaws too.

Trailers are made to be used. They are not made as well as we'd like in many cases. But if you only focus on any problem you can find, and invent a few along the way, and expect the factory to do whatever you think they should, you will never get any enjoyment out of the whole experience. You probably made a mistake by buying it in the first place.

Some have said they want a trailer with a good resale value. That cracks me up. Resale? On a trailer? I will never buy a trailer to resell it. Buy it to use it. If you don't want to keep it, don't buy it. But having said that, I sold my last two trailers for more than I paid for them in this crazy market, and I bought both of them new.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I've had my Xplore X22 for about three months and have used it quite a bit and towed it about 4,000 miles. I have the off-grid package with 480 AH of lithium.

Here is a list of my modifications:
Install a 4.5 tonne McHitch trailer coupler and get rid of the ridiculous Lock N Roll hitch.
Install 460 watts of solar with glass collectors mounted on the tent rack. Install all new wiring for these to the solar controller. Disconnect the factory panels.
Move the propane bottles to the rear of the trailer and take off one spare tire.
Add propane quick disconnect fitting.
Remove pin on swing-away tire mount and replace with bolt.
Add second front storage box where the propane used to be.
Upgrade the jack to an 'Ultimate" jack with more travel and permanent mount.
Install an Anderson plug and charging wire from the tongue to the batteries.
Replace the Laveo toilet with a Separett brand "Tiny" model and pipe the pee to the gray tank.
Replace the shower doors with a shower curtain.
Install a microwave and storage tubes in the cabinet above the stove. This stores a wine bottle, kitchen knives, plastic wrap, hot pads and bags.
Install a cell phone booster and Blue-Ray player.
Moved the TV up 5" and remounted it.
Added a paper towel holder.
Install 120 volt outlets in the microwave cabinet and the cell booster cabinet above the TV.
Make a poly cutting board to fit the sink.
Install USB lights and plugs above the main switch panel to light the switches and the entry with a red glow at night.
Remove the ladder.
Add weather stripping around the pass-through doors and adjust the main door to better seal out dust.
Add inside pull handle to close the door.
Add screen door railing.
Remove and caulk all lower trim pieces, next to the frame rails, remove and caulk the fenders. All mounting screws upgraded to number 12 X 3/4" stainless.
Add 2" memory foam pad on bed.
Add bubble level on tongue.
Seal underneath holes with spray foam.
Remove factory steps. I now have a 9" high single step that stores inside the door.
Add key hook next to entry door.

I have not plugged the trailer in since I bought it, when I plugged it in at ROA just to test the system. We use all the power we want including the microwave, TV and Blue-Ray, lighting, heater and fridge. We charge phones and computers. The freezer is cold at about 0 degrees F all the time. The batteries always recover to 100% by about noon unless it's cloudy or is exceptionally cold, and then by about 2PM.

The bed is 54" wide, not 48" wide as was previously stated by someone.

Future projects to start after our next trip:
Add positive pressure filtered air system to keep all dust out.
Make a larger dinette table that will still work as a bed.
Add a reading light and a USB port near the bed.
Install restaurant style tableware and utensil holders on wall next to the sink.
Add a proper backsplash behind sink and stainless heat shield next to the stove.
Finish the installation of the new High-Lift jack mount. This mounts on the front and is a much better system than Imperial uses on the rear of the trailer.

When I bought mine, I opted to not get the extra 30 gallon water tank. Here's why:
With the waterless toilet, water usage drops dramatically and 30 gallons works well.
The new tank setup is ONLY for summer. It is not winterized.
I carry five gallon plastic water cans in the truck which can be filled anywhere and brought to the trailer to refill the onboard 30 gallon tank when we are parked.
We use bottled water to drink and cook.
The added tank is expensive.

If anyone is interested in joining another conversation about the X22, come on over to the Facebook page: Xplore 22 trailer community. Lots of information there and a nice community.

My goodness gracious you have rebuilt your trailer. How much money did these mods add up too. Please explain what is wrong with lock n roll hitch?

I wonder if Imperial saw the boom coming and just signed up as many dealers as possible and just cranked out as many trailers as possible. So many things to break down on this rig. That said if you want a four season rig that can handel dirt roads there are not tons of choices. Not sure the blend if Ice house with hydraulic suspension and off road campers is the best mix.

You are right it is a long list for something that has 12 days of use and spent more time in repairs than I care to speak to. I'm collecting the other issues as this has shown to be an ongoing problematic build, I want to find out what the other issues are out and have them addressed proactively. The dealer has washed there hands of this and quite possibly the manufacturer, Isaac wanted to address these issues directly. He then found another very well respected shop to review it as well. It was that shop who also stated it would be best to have the factory rebuild it as there were too many issues - especially as it was only a few months old, they are also the ones who noted the interior roof issue. I do disagree with you in regards to delamination - that is a very big issue as it blisters in various spots , especially when water then gets trapped underneath it.

Hey Folgore sounds like this guy who rebuilt his 65k X22 thinks you should quite bothering Imperial about your silly issues. I assume you are retired and have a full work shop to rebuild your two week old x22. He says he got rid of his ridiculous lock n roll hitch. Maybe he know we're one could buy an alternative.

Raspy

Hey Folgore sounds like this guy who rebuilt his 65k X22 thinks you should quite bothering Imperial about your silly issues. I assume you are retired and have a full work shop to rebuild your two week old x22. He says he got rid of his ridiculous lock n roll hitch. Maybe he know we're one could buy an alternative.
Clearly, you like to exaggerate. I never said he should stop bothering Imperial. I simply pointed out that some of his complaints will never get looked at by Imperial, just as no other manufacturer would either, such as complaining that somebody else may have had a wheel bearing problem so the factory should tear his apart and look. Not gonna happen. The proper response is to accept that wheel bearings are a maintenance item and learn how to do the work. At some point, with an ever increasing list of complaints, it becomes clear that certain customers are impossible to please, and that type of customer tends to keep finding things they don't understand and trying to dictate to others how they should be addressed. Further, I'm sure he had ample opportunity to look the trailer over before buying it. If he is so good at finding problems now, why wasn't he able to see the same things before he bought it, and simply run away? Was it impossible to see that the door was out of adjustment? Why didn't he ask the dealer to fix that before he bought it? Second, I didn't rebuild the whole trailer, I made a lot of sensible upgrades to make it better. What's wrong with that? One of those upgrades was to get rid of the Lock and Roll hitch and install a McHitch instead. These are a much better design and very easy to use. Another item that can be upgraded is the Laveo toilet. The Laveo is a very impractical design. Finally, the solar system on my X22 was wired wrong from the factory and even when I fixed it, it was not enough power. So I built my own system and now I have no need to ever plug the trailer in at all. I guess I could have just parked it at a dealer and complained instead. Meanwhile I'm having lots of fun trips and am not mad or complaining about anything, and my trailer is not perfect. One thing that everyone should keep in mind is to find the right dealer to buy from. Some don't care about pre-delivery inspections. Some only want to fix things after the sale and charge the factory. Some don't know how to fix anything. Owning a trailer, going off-grid and camping in the wild means you must be at least somewhat self sufficient and a problem solver. Going off grid is what the X22 is for. Going out into the wild lands and camping requires one to be prepared and creative.

Here's a picture of my McHitch coupling, the microwave cabinet, the shower curtain, the rear propane system, the solar and a link to McHitch. https://www.mchitch.com.au/automatic-couplers

Attachments

• 1-2 copy.jpeg
    1-2 copy.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 63
  • X22 Micro.jpeg
    X22 Micro.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 1-5 copy 2.jpeg
    1-5 copy 2.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 1-1 copy 2.jpeg
    1-1 copy 2.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 1-10.jpeg
    1-10.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Raspy

I wonder if Imperial saw the boom coming and just signed up as many dealers as possible and just cranked out as many trailers as possible. So many things to break down on this rig. That said if you want a four season rig that can handel dirt roads there are not tons of choices. Not sure the blend if Ice house with hydraulic suspension and off road campers is the best mix.
Being very well insulated is a huge plus if someone wants to use their trailer in the winter, like I do. It is also nice for summer. That insulation and winter ready design means no pipes hanging down underneath to freeze or get knocked off on a rock while off road. And being very rugged, means it can handle off road use. It doesn't have "hydraulic suspension" It is an independent torsion design with hydraulic ride height to accommodate very rough roads and lower for highway travel. The hydraulics don't affect the wheel travel or the damping, just the ride height. It is a tried and true system that has been around for at least 10 years. These trailers are very simple in design when compared to many others. That is one of their advantages. What are the "so many things to break down" you are referring to? Be specific.

Being very well insulated is a huge plus if someone wants to use their trailer in the winter, like I do. It is also nice for summer. That insulation and winter ready design means no pipes hanging down underneath to freeze or get knocked off on a rock while off road. And being very rugged, means it can handle off road use. It doesn't have "hydraulic suspension" It is an independent torsion design with hydraulic ride height to accommodate very rough roads and lower for highway travel. The hydraulics don't affect the wheel travel or the damping, just the ride height. It is a tried and true system that has been around for at least 10 years. These trailers are very simple in design when compared to many others. That is one of their advantages. What are the "so many things to break down" you are referring to? Be specific.

Okay. Let's start with a hydraulic system to lower and raise the height and the on board air compressor. All the wiring and power components you replaced. The carbon steel chassis that is only powder coated and not galvanized. At 20 inches of height and with rooftop tent and cargo on rack makes this bad boy a bit top heavy when off road. All the glue and caulking used in the multiple layers of ceiling and side walls created more off gassing issues. The fact the trailer uses Luan layers could cause issues. The laminated Elkhart built type cabinetry. Maybe you could be more specific on the difference between the ridiculous lock n roll hitch other then the Mac Hitch is easier to use?

Raspy

Okay. Let's start with a hydraulic system to lower and raise the height and the on board air compressor. All the wiring and power components you replaced. The carbon steel chassis that is only powder coated and not galvanized. At 20 inches of height and with rooftop tent and cargo on rack makes this bad boy a bit top heavy when off road. All the glue and caulking used in the multiple layers of ceiling and side walls created more off gassing issues. The fact the trailer uses Luan layers could cause issues. The laminated Elkhart built type cabinetry. Maybe you could be more specific on the difference between the ridiculous lock n roll hitch other then the Mac Hitch is easier to use?
The onboard air compressor, if you care to do a bit of research, is a simple Viar pump. It could not be simpler and is the same pump many carry around with them in their trucks. This one is just already mounted inside. The hydraulic system is also simple and well proven. Perhaps you don't see the value of increasing ground clearance off road, and reducing it for highway use, or when parked. That's OK, I do. Worst case in a failure is the trailer sits at it lowest level, but the suspension still works normally. Again, do a bit of research if you are interested. This is not the same thing found on other vehicles and it does not affect suspension travel. You might do yourself a favor and actually look at some of these things in advance of arguing against them. The suspension is one of the reasons I bought the trailer. I've had conventional leaf springs, swing arms and now this torsion system. This is the simplest and so far the best I've had, by actual experience. Very few frames are galvanized. That is the best corrosion system there is. Xplore uses a high grade of alloy steel and bedliners it. Galvanized frames are excellent, but not perfect as the steel is annealed in the process and welded modifications ruin the galvy in that area. I live in the desert and corrosion of the frame will not be a problem for generations. Further, this frame is massive and is built in a perimeter design that acts as a rock guard and offers jacking points all around the perimeter. It is an innovative design and well made. I deleted the roof tent as I don't like the idea. But the tent frame is very functional for other purposes. If you want to think about a trailer being top heavy, look at a Black Series trailer. They are the definition of top heavy. I agree that the cabinetry is sub par. It sounds to me like you have already decided you don't like Xplore, so don't buy one. Simple as that. I could not care less if you don't like them, but I will defend against false claims that I have already researched. Do your homework or simply admit you have a bias against them. No problem, nobody is trying to force you to like them and they are different than normal trailers, fortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier