I need some MAJOR help!!!!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I tell people the KLR is the AK47 of motorcycles - simple, tough, reliable, and cheap to maintain. It does it all.

Every time I ride mine I have a big ol' grin on my face :bike_rider:

Do I like other bikes? Sure, but the maintenance on the KLR is EASY and I can do it all myself at home for cheap. No can do with a KTM or a BMW or so I'm told. And the KLR is a very forgiving bike to ride IMO, it lugs happily along no matter what I do to it ;)

Owyhee H

Adventurer
The 640 Adventure is by all accounts better at both than the KLR, and weighs less. That's about the only bike that truly seems to cover that spread though, and I don't know how I feel about maintaining a thoroughbred KTM over a KLR on my nearly-nonexistent budget.

John

I think that performance wise the KTM has great suspension and great gearing but the vibrations on the ones Ive ridden are far worse than any other bike out there. The 640 is built for speed over any terrain not for the smooth ride on the road. I think that the DR650 is the smoothest DS bike out there, even smoother than the F650GS Dakar I had, but is not as good on the road as the KLR. The KLR is a great do it all bike that has been proven around the world over several decades. Ive heard the saying "if it aint broke, don't fix it", the KLR is old technology but works perfect for its intended use.

That being said i think the funnest DS bike out there is the TW200 and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride one. Its much more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Idaho85

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
That being said i think the funnest DS bike out there is the TW200 and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride one. Its much more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Idaho85

The thing that I really didn't like about the TW was that the distance from the bars to the pegs is WAY to small for anyone resembling an adult. Standing up on the pegs is simply out of the question -- even for a short guy like me. My girlfriend rode hers a total of 5 times (it was the first bike she ever rode) before she started making serious noise about wanting a taller bike -- so we sold it after putting a whole 300 miles on it. She is happier with her DR200.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I agree that is a problem with the TW200, but it feels like a real bike when it has Hi-rise ATV bars or bar risers. It has high pegs compared to the seat, but so does the DR650. I feel they have a similar riding position with the high bars on the tw200.

Regardless get the KLR and ride, its beautiful outside and there is a lot of exploring that you can do on a bike and not in a truck.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
The fact that theyre decent at both and cheap.

I guess decent is relative. I think even 300lbs is too heavy for serious off-road use, but that's me. ;)

Ive never done any long distance on a KLR so I cant compare other than with what ive heard. Biggest thing seems to be vibration. The KLR, from what Ive heard, doesnt have quite as much vibration as the DR does on road.

Haven't driven those myself, but others who have ridden all 3 say the WR has less vibration than the DR and KLR. It's really smooth, since it's such a little piston.

I dont want anything smaller than a 650 though simply because (quite honestly) I disbelieve anyone who tells me they can semi-comfortably ride 70 fully loaded....except for maybe downhill.

That's why I'm just saying, try one if you can. 70mph is no problem. It'll do 95mph, which I think is the top speed on a KLR too? The WR isn't like other 250 dual sports.

The 640 Adventure is by all accounts better at both than the KLR, and weighs less. That's about the only bike that truly seems to cover that spread though, and I don't know how I feel about maintaining a thoroughbred KTM over a KLR on my nearly-nonexistent budget.

I hear you. I traded my WR250F in on the X, largely because of the maintenance. And the maintenance on a 250F isn't nearly as bad as a KTM. The other problem with the 640, is I think your wrist will get sore trying to keep the throttle closed. ;)

Motojournalism

Observer
Hmm what's this I hear? Somebody's on a ledge? Lemme get a running start...
:roost: :sport_box

It's been from Newfoundland to Panama with nary a problem. 62,000km on the odo

Go for a lightly used older model, do the doo, put yer ******** in storage and GO!

Panama,
4444198482_111f5029bd_b.jpg

Nicaragua
4422842690_20394d8205_b.jpg

Guatemala
4304212185_9a14a569cf_b.jpg

El Salvador
DR650's great, but you need to add big tank, better seat and luggage rack.
KLR is ready to go out of the box.
4375198448_b5411e50a5_b.jpg

Nicaragua
"Do you have secure parking?"
"Yes, through the restaurant, inside the hotel"
4390931005_2c30bbb497_z.jpg

4108117117_45c8c0ec9c_b.jpg

DO IT!
See you on the road!
3960675393_852ec603ba_b.jpg

Heya ScarySharkFace:wavey:

Nice avatar R_Lefebvre :friday:

Jim1960

Observer
Being an owner of a DR650, XR650L, TT500, and a KTM 990 Adventure, with years of dirt experience under my belt, I can honestly say without a doubt the 990 smokes them all. It is smooth, powerful, and a fantastic dirt handling machine. Flat out it's just one hell of a fun bike to ride. The others including KLR's seem like under powered toys in comparison. Don't get me wrong, the others will always be in my inventory as their purpose is needed when hustling a 500lb 990 over rocks is not an option.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
. . . the 990 smokes them all. It is smooth, powerful, and a fantastic dirt handling machine. . .

The 990 is a hell of a bike, but you really can't compare it to the others you listed -- and you sure the heck can't compare it to a KLR. That's kind of like comparing a Chevy Luv with a camper shell to an Earthroamer . . .

Cabrito

I come in Peace
The 990 is a hell of a bike, but you really can't compare it to the others you listed -- and you sure the heck can't compare it to a KLR. That's kind of like comparing a Chevy Luv with a camper shell to an Earthroamer . . .

Dude,
I think you have made your distain for the KLR perfectly clear since you have gone out of your way to discourage it in three of your four posts in this thread.

I would love to own a nice high powered BMW or KTM but I'm just a poor normal person.

I don't agree with your comparrison either. The KLR could almost certainly go anywhere your fancy KTM or Bimmer could go where as the Luv probably could not go where a fancy Roamer could. You make it sound like the KLR is no more capable than a honda trail 90.

I would edit that to say something like "its like comparing a Toyota SR5 4x4 with a shell to a Roamer"

I am perfectly happy with my little sewing maching swiss army knife motorcycle. I think you might have actually hurt both of my feelings....

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
If he hurt your feelings, better not venture over to AdvRider. They can be pretty rough on the KLR. My favorite was accusing a guy of being pulled over by the police for "Attempted Speeding". :wings:

Come on, you gotta laugh! :)

But seriously, it's pretty obvious the 990 is a "better" bike and that really shouldn't be shocking to anybody. Actually, let me correct that. If I was actually going to drive across Africa or around the world, I'd take the KLR.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
If he hurt your feelings, better not venture over to AdvRider. They can be pretty rough on the KLR. My favorite was accusing a guy of being pulled over by the police for "Attempted Speeding". :wings:

Come on, you gotta laugh! :)

But seriously, it's pretty obvious the 990 is a "better" bike and that really shouldn't be shocking to anybody. Actually, let me correct that. If I was actually going to drive across Africa or around the world, I'd take the KLR.

Oh, I'm laughing.. I keep hearing horor stories about KTMs having these great show stopping problems on the trail or wherever. Just check out Christians post http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46545 But I guess that makes it a Better bike? That does not make me want to speak poorly of them. I'd give my right arm for one if I did't like my right arm so much.

"Better" is relative. I'd say the best bike is the one you own or can afford. I don't really see the use in saying one is better than the other. Does it have to be like a land cruiser vs a land rover type of thing? Or a Ford vs Chevy thing? Isn't there enough of that already. Even the Trail 90 is great in it's own right.

I'm registered at ADV but don't even bother because I'm just an occasional rider and not worthy. Thera are some fantastic trip reports over there though.

It's all good bro' Bike are fun!

oh, and the attempted speeding thing is hilarious! I'm constantly trying to speed on my sewing machine. That is some funny stuff right there.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I like the quote , " The KLR is the AK47 of dual sports", "The KLR does nothing great and everything pretty darn good."
Ride , just ride.

Love the Mad Max quote in your sig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior