How would you outfit this custom LJ?

billiebob

eBay Motors has a big presence at the show, it seems they're trying to build their parts business and as a part of that they had Ian Johnson build a YJ pickup sourcing parts on eBay when possible.

eBayYJPickup1.jpg

eBayYJPickup2.jpg

eBayYJPickup3.jpg

This low-key LJ was in the Bestop display.

BestopLJ.jpg

A stretch CJ-5, one of two at the show (I'll post the other one in another post).

CJ5Stretch1b.jpg

CJ5Stretch1a.jpg

More to come if people are interested.
you are the inspiration Jeff, we are ALWAYS interested, sometimes inspired. Keep it coming.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
you are the inspiration Jeff, we are ALWAYS interested, sometimes inspired. Keep it coming.
You're much too kind and it's very nice to know that I sometimes can offer inspiration. Thank you.

Lots more photos to come, hopefully I'll get to posting some tomorrow in my JK thread.

BTW here's another photo from today, I actually go to the show to get some work done, not just to take photos to post :). I met with a compressor company today that I've worked with in the past - I'm working on a design for a suspension airbag management system and a very small compressor is part of that design. The company offered me this compressor at the end of the show (it's a display unit in their booth and they need it until the show is over).

AirBagCompressor.jpg

As I make progress on the project I'll share details. I've got Airlift 1000 air bag systems in the rear springs of all 3 of my Jeeps and I adjust the pressure with a small bicycle pump but I've always wanted to see how a very compact pressure management system would work and this compressor will be at the heart of the system.

I also met with MORryde today and we discussed some designs I've done that may become MORryde products in the near future.

Those are fun looking rigs. You hit the trail yet?
The only trail time schedule for this trip is the 42 miles off-pavement I did yesterday driving to the Colorado River at the bottom of the Grand Canyon yesterday. Would like to do more but I've got too much going on, I've got to get back.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This isn't a new product, but I'll post it here for any TJ/LJ people who haven't seen it before. From the Autometer booth:

AutometerDash.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This summer LED company Auxbeam sent me some 25,000 lumen H13 LEDs to test and review in my JKU. I posted about them here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...factory-hardtops.127687/page-343#post-3036924. They work very well and are a good upgrade from the Jeep factory halogen bulbs.

This week they sent me some sealed-beam replacement LEDs to test and review and I'm starting that process now. I probably won't post a review here because they're "look at me" lights, one pair has a DRL halo and turn signal halo and the other pair has a rotating Bluetooth-controlled RGB spinning halo. I doubt many people in this forum are interested in lights like that.

I think the 25,000 lumen H13 replacement LEDs could be of interest to TL/LJ/CJ people here, but those Jeeps have sealed beams which don't accept replacement bulbs. Not a problem though - this photo shows a sealed beam (left) and a JK factory H13 housing (center and right). The JK housing is a direct replacement for the sealed beam in the TJ and since it accepts separate H13 bulbs, it's a way to swap the 25k lumen LEDs into the LJ.

SealedBeamAndH13Housing.jpg

The swap into the TJ/LJ is easy - remove the headlight trim (Torx T20), then remove the headlight retainer ring (T15), plug in an H4-H13 adapter for each light, put a bulb in the housing and plug the adapter into it and install the H13 housing in the reverse order of removal.

H4 to H13 adapters are available in many places, including eBay:

H4-H13Adapter.jpg

In this photo, the original sealed beam is on the left and the JK H13 housing is on the right.

TJJKH13Housings.jpg

For people who want better lighting but want to retain a stock look, this is a great way to go. JK headlight housings are available on eBay and often on Craigslist because so many JK owners swap halo lights and other no-factory looking lights for their stock H13s.

TripLeader

Explorer
This summer LED company Auxbeam sent me some 25,000 lumen H13 LEDs to test and review in my JKU. I posted about them here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...factory-hardtops.127687/page-343#post-3036924. They work very well and are a good upgrade from the Jeep factory halogen bulbs.

This week they sent me some sealed-beam replacement LEDs to test and review and I'm starting that process now. I probably won't post a review here because they're "look at me" lights, one pair has a DRL halo and turn signal halo and the other pair has a rotating Bluetooth-controlled RGB spinning halo. I doubt many people in this forum are interested in lights like that.

I think the 25,000 lumen H13 replacement LEDs could be of interest to TL/LJ/CJ people here, but those Jeeps have sealed beams which don't accept replacement bulbs. Not a problem though - this photo shows a sealed beam (left) and a JK factory H13 housing (center and right). The JK housing is a direct replacement for the sealed beam in the TJ and since it accepts separate H13 bulbs, it's a way to swap the 25k lumen LEDs into the LJ.

SealedBeamAndH13Housing.jpg

The swap into the TJ/LJ is easy - remove the headlight trim (Torx T20), then remove the headlight retainer ring (T15), plug in an H4-H13 adapter for each light, put a bulb in the housing and plug the adapter into it and install the H13 housing in the reverse order of removal.

H4 to H13 adapters are available in many places, including eBay:

H4-H13Adapter.jpg

In this photo, the original sealed beam is on the left and the JK H13 housing is on the right.

TJJKH13Housings.jpg

For people who want better lighting but want to retain a stock look, this is a great way to go. JK headlight housings are available on eBay and often on Craigslist because so many JK owners swap halo lights and other no-factory looking lights for their stock H13s.

I like this idea a lot. I would buy parts today if I wasn't so cheap. But it is now on my future upgrade list for my LJ. Thanks for the idea!

Any evaluation yet about the concern over snow buildup on them?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I like this idea a lot. I would buy parts today if I wasn't so cheap. But it is now on my future upgrade list for my LJ. Thanks for the idea!

Any evaluation yet about the concern over snow buildup on them?
Some snow is forecast here over the next few days but probably not enough to cause problems. I'll be sure to drive the JK any time there's snow so I can test that.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I can't believe it's that time of year already, but up to 3" of snow is forecast for tonight into tomorrow. Probably won't get that much, maybe not even any, but I definitely do not want to have to shovel the driveway so this morning the plow went on.

Plow22a.jpg

This is where the LJ lives from now through the end of March, ready to plow its way out. I drive it occasionally over the winter just to keep everything running right but mostly it sits in this bay waiting to be needed.

Plow22b.jpg

I've had this plow since 2011 and I need it maybe 4 times in a typical winter. I bought it used for I think $500 and it's paid for itself many times over.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One of the dash lights in the LJ burned out and I replaced it this morning. It's a simple job, here are the steps in case anyone needs to replace bulbs but hasn't done it yet...

1. Remove the trim panel across the front of the dash. It's held in place with clips along its length so start by carefully prying up one end with a screwdriver.

TopTrim.jpg

Once the first clip releases, work your way across the dash, using the screwdriver to help the clips release.

2. Remove the two screws that hold the top of the center bezel.

BezelScrews.jpg

3. Pull the top of the bezel backwards until you feel two clips release.

BezelPull.jpg

4. Using a screwdriver, pry at the bottom corners to release the bottom clips and remove the bezel.

BezelPryBottom.jpg

5. Remove the section where the bad bulb is. Mine was on the left side of the HVAC control. Also in this photo, the yellow arrows show where the bezel clips go in, sometimes the clips get stuck in these holes. If any are there, pull them out with pliers and reinstall them on the tabs on the back of the bezel.

RemoveHVACCheckClips.jpg

6. The bulbs T4 type; I bought mine on eBay.

DashBulbEbay.jpg

They're quite small:

DashBulb.jpg

7. With HVAC controls removed, I turned on the lights, and looking at the back of the HVAC panel I could see which bulb wasn't working.

RemoveHVAC2.jpg

8. The bad bulb is removed with a screwdriver, 1/4 turn counterclockwise will release it. To then get the bulb out of the socket I turned the HVAC control upside down and the bulb fell out in my hand.

RemoveDashBulb.jpg

9. Insert the new bulb in the hole, turn it 1/4 turn clockwise and turn on the lights to verify that it works. Reassembly everything in the reverse order of disassembly.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A couple of weeks ago I posted about putting H13 LEDs/JK light housings in a TJ grille (https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/how-would-you-outfit-this-custom-lj.46300/post-3063952). The photos in that post were taken with a spare grille in the workshop. This morning I installed one in my pickup to see how much improvement the LEDs would make over the stock halogens.

In this first photo, the driver's side has been replaced with a JK housing and the LED.

TJOneLED.jpg

Both lit:

TJOneLEDb.jpg

A test against the garage door:

GarageDoorTest1.jpg

I've been running these LEDs in the JKU for several months and they are much better than the factory halogens. A very worthwhile upgrade.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The other day I modified the Trail Kitchen Charging System in the JKU to enable the kitchen battery to start the Jeep when needed: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/barn-door-for-jk-factory-hardtops.127687/post-3067303

Today I did the same in the LJ. I added a factory style switch to the dash:

LJSwitchInstalled.jpg

The switch is an aftermarket one with a battery emblem I found on eBay. It didn't have dash light illumination and the "power on" illumination was dim, so I swapped the lever into a junkyard factory fog light switch and now everything is factory bright.

LJSwitchSwap.jpg

The switch controls this 500-amp relay I mounted to the firewall, which connects the kitchen battery to the main battery so the kitchen battery can start the Jeep.

LJPowerRelay.jpg

In both the LJ and the JKU there are several benefits from doing this.

1. If the main battery dies and fails to start the Jeep, just flip the switch and start the Jeep with the kitchen battery. No messing around with jumper cables back to the kitchen battery.

2. In a high current drain operation like winching, flip the switch so both batteries supply power to the winch.

This switch + high power relay doesn't affect the operation of the Trail Kitchen Charging System, that still works as it always did - when the Jeep is running the alternator charges the kitchen battery and when the Jeep isn't running there's no connection from the kitchen battery to the main battery so the kitchen will never drain the main battery.

Zeep

Adventurer
Very clever. I don't think I would ever have thought to do that. Did you source the switch from a TJ, or another model? Boneyards around here, never have any TJ's.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Very clever. I don't think I would ever have thought to do that. Did you source the switch from a TJ, or another model? Boneyards around here, never have any TJ's.
'97-'01 XJ Cherokees use the same switches and there are always a few of those in the local u-pull here.

The switch I used was one of a bunch I pulled some years ago when I was designing and prototyping an easy-to-install hardtop wiring harness for TJ's that didn't come from the factory with a hardtop. The wiring harness almost made it into production but when the subcontracted wiring company was just about ready to produce the first preproduction samples for testing the company that had planned to market it changed their mind. Oh well.

billiebob

eBay Motors has a big presence at the show, it seems they're trying to build their parts business and as a part of that they had Ian Johnson build a YJ pickup sourcing parts on eBay when possible.

eBayYJPickup3.jpg

This is the vehicle I have wanted for 30 years. A YJ BUT with leaf springs and a "Brute" box.

ihatemybike

Explorer
You got me thinking about adding a similar setup to my van.

If my thoughts are correct, when the relay is energized from the kitchen battery via the switch everything else on the ignition on circuit also gets power. I only see two wires connected to the relay energizer. Where does the power from the switch join to the circuit?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior