How would you outfit this custom LJ?

jgaz

Adventurer
Sir,
If you get a chance, the next time you swing down the Molle panel in your LJ, would you please measure from the lower edge of the panel to the carpet on the rear floor?

Would you also give me your opinion as to if you think your design would work with the cargo basket I currently use in my LJ?
This “under construction” picture shows the top edge of my basket is 29” off the floor.
B64970B9-9E74-473B-AEE5-3A6638D37905.jpeg
Maybe the panel would be useful to me even if it wasn’t able to swing down all the way?
Again, please excuse the temporary drawer pull, there will be a drawer face in the finished version. My latch is inbound.

Matt.H

Adventurer
Matt,
If you're asking if the overhead Molle panel interferes with the view out the rear view mirror, no it doesn't. I went out to the garage just now and took this photo for you, I'm sitting in the driver's seat and holding the camera at normal eye height for me - you can see me in the mirror, I'm blurred because I set the focus on the view out the back window. The Molle panel is above the bottom of the roll bars and as such is above the top of the back window and not in the view at all.

(y)That is exactly the information I was looking for. Can't beat that for a thorough answer, either. THANKS!.

Love following your threads.

Matt

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Sir,
If you get a chance, the next time you swing down the Molle panel in your LJ, would you please measure from the lower edge of the panel to the carpet on the rear floor?

Would you also give me your opinion as to if you think your design would work with the cargo basket I currently use in my LJ?
This “under construction” picture shows the top edge of my basket is 29” off the floor.
View attachment 459554
Maybe the panel would be useful to me even if it wasn’t able to swing down all the way?
Again, please excuse the temporary drawer pull, there will be a drawer face in the finished version. My latch is inbound.
When the panel is hanging down vertically, it's 26" above the floor. At 29", it's parallel with the roll bar as shown in this quick photo. Very usable at 29".

29Inches_zpsupesguha.jpg

And please call me Jeff, I'm not a "sir" :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
After having to be strapped over an obstacle on a trail last year I've been thinking maybe it's time for a winch. My requirements for a winch might be a little different than most, here are the most important requirements on my list:
  • I do not want to change the factory front bumper.
  • I do not want the winch installed permanently - there's no reason to carry that weight around 365 days a year when the winch only needs to be used at most a few weeks per year. Also no reason to subject the winch to the wear and tear of the elements all year.
  • I don't plan to ever tackle trails with this Jeep that I know would require winching just to complete the trail; my reason for having the winch is more for getting unexpectedly stuck. With that in mind I'd like to be able to use the winch not only to pull the Jeep forward, but to pull it backward out of a stuck situation.
These requirements suggest a receiver-mounted winch that can be used in the front or in the rear, and can sit in the garage when I'm not on a trail.

To put a receiver on the front of the Jeep I think I'll start with a used hitch, they're pretty easy to find on Craigslist. I'll modify it something like shown below. I've done the drawing in orange to make it visible in this concept view but when completed I'll have it powder coated black. Assuming the main bar of whatever hitch I find is too long for this application I'll shorten it and make some angle brackets from 1/4" steel plate and weld them to each end of the shortened bar. The factory tow hooks and grille hoop will mount on top of the angle brackets. I'll probably also add d-ring loops to the bar, they're shown in the drawing.

ReceiverDesign1_zpsaf6jfyte.jpg

ReceiverDesign1c_zps2sgrfjnm.jpg

The receiver will install using the 4 bolts that attach the factory tow hooks and grille hoop to the frame, that will make it quick and easy to install/remove so I may only have the receiver on the Jeep during expeditions, removing it between trips.

Once I make the receiver I'll do a winch mount and wiring, and select a winch.

There are a number of ready-made mounts on the market that work with standard 2" receivers so I may buy a commercial one or maybe I'll design something different than what's on the market, I haven't decided yet. One thing to work out is a mount that fits properly on the front and the back - on the back the spare tire might be in the way of the winch. I'll have to do some measurements and see if the winch mounts on the market will work properly on the rear, if not then I'll probably have to design and build something myself that will work on both ends of the Jeep. Here are a few that are on the market:

WinchMounts_zpscqkeouih.jpg

I've already got a plug under the hood to power my plow, so I can probably plug the winch into that. For use in the rear I'll have to run some heavy-gauge wiring to the back of the Jeep. I've already got 8-gauge wiring running back there for the Trail Kitchen, but 8-gauge isn't heavy enough for the amount of current a winch can draw.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions you have.

Presto88

Adventurer
I've been planning on doing this same thing to my JKU, for exactly the same reasons! I hope that I never have to use the winch when out on the trail, but would like to have one along "just in case". And I feel that I'm at least as likely to want to pull myself back (out of a problem) as forwards (further into said problem)! I'll be following to see what you end up with!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been planning on doing this same thing to my JKU, for exactly the same reasons! I hope that I never have to use the winch when out on the trail, but would like to have one along "just in case". And I feel that I'm at least as likely to want to pull myself back (out of a problem) as forwards (further into said problem)! I'll be following to see what you end up with!
After I finish the installation on the LJ, I may set it up for my JKU as well so the winch can be used on both Jeeps. Most of what I'll be doing in this project is directly applicable to the JK/JKU, except for the custom front receiver I'll be doing for the LJ/TJ. There is at least one front receiver on hhe market for the JK/JKU though(https://www.quadratec.com/p/draw-ti...er-07-16-jeep-wrangler-and-wrangler-unlimited), so hopefully what I do in this project will help you.

Presto88

Adventurer
I've been putting it off because I'm waiting until I get my house battery all set up. I'm intending to run some pretty heavy gauge wiring between the house battery and the starter battery and from there it's just a short trip to either end of the Jeep for the winch.
My biggest concern is the weight of the winch and carrier because I'll be having to heft that thing around to the proper end of the Jeep and mount it in the receiver...and it's always possible that I'll be alone. I'm thinking about a small winch - like those made primarily for an ATV, with a 4 or 5k pull - and a few snatch blocks to multiply it's pulling power. It would be slow as molasses, but in the situation where I actually use the winch I don't think that speed is going to be a concern. I'll just want to get out of the jam that I'm in.

Lucky j

Explorer
The only draw back I see with this standard installation, is the the winch become very foward in position. I have seen, but do not have pics here of it and have no clues where ai would now find them, that the tube were mounted verticaly under the winch plate. And it was at the same final height, with anderson connectors like you are planning.

Lucky j

Explorer
And no reason why the plate you have should work, since many have winch imstalled with factory bumper. Perso, I also use the sway bars bolts holes on top of the hooks bolts.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I haven't decided on a winch yet, but I'm thinking I'll be best with one with a control box that can be mounted in multiple positions. The reason for this is for the rear - the winch has to clear the spare tire, and a control box mounted top center on the winch might not clear. A control box off to the side probably would work.

I'm traveling and far from the Jeep right now so I can't measure, but these images approximate a winch without a control box in both the front and rear, the winch mount isn't shown but assumed to hold the winch roughly at the same level as the inside bottom of the receiver tube.

WinchSim1_zps1gluzmlq.jpg

If these images are accurate, I can probably mount the winch control box off to the side on top of the winch, or if necessary on the side of the winch.

I also have to measure for the "storage position" of the winch assuming I add a vertical receiver on the front to mount the winch vertically out of the way when it's not in use like tweenerlj mentioned. But can't really make more progress on the the design until I get home and measure.

Zeep

Adventurer
I don't have, and have not ever operated a winch. But aren't you supposed to stand off to the side to operate, for safety!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I don't have, and have not ever operated a winch. But aren't you supposed to stand off to the side to operate, for safety!
Nothing I'm proposing requires that you have to put yourself in harm's way to operate the winch when mounted in either the front or rear receivers. Is there something you think I'm missing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94