How to camp with dogs!

ridendude

I have taken a number of 6 - 8 week trips with Simon, a 30# beagle. A couple of things I have done:
  • I built a platform for his bed; it is his place in the truck, a little bigger than a properly sized kennel. It has his bedding, a non-spill water bowl, and 'seat belt'.
  • He has a tether for when we are traveling that gives him enough room to move around on his bed but not enough to jump on me or hit the dashboard in a panic stop.
  • I have baby shades that I can put up to give him a place out of the sun.
  • I made a 8 1/2 X 11 card that goes on the dashboard whenever I have to leave him in the truck for a few minutes: " CONCERNED FOR MY DOG? CALL 651-XXX-XXXX ". I've had busybodies call Animal Control as soon as I went into a gas station to pay for gas!
  • I made a 12V fan that fits in the rear sliding window of the cab for air circulation for the few times I have to leave him in the truck for more than a few minutes.
  • I made the steps into the camper deeper and covered them with astroturf for both traction and dirt abatement. Makes it easier for Simon to get up and down out of the camper. The astroturf collects an amazing amount of dirt.
We stop every two hours to take a walk and bathroom break; we both need it.

jim
Thanks JaSAn. You've covered it very well. I will add the cards when we actually park in civilized areas, great idea.

We've had a miniature schnauzer for just over a year as a rescue. He was about 4 years old when we got him home. He's had a lot of anxiety in his life and has had his share of challenges recently.
Camping, for him has not been choice. He's very much embraced it. He has his own bed/blanket around the fire.
In the rtt, we lift him up( still working on him climbing up;) ).He's totally chill with the rtt life and content with the assistance up and down (lazy bugger).
His food is pretty much whatever good quality food we can get him. He's not fussy.
We have a vet that makes sure he's up to date on the care that he needs to cross multiple borders, which will be coming up soon :) .
We also make sure that he is leashed when in social situations or wilderness areas where he would become a part of the food chain.
Not too much different than having a child on board......
Be prepared. If you are bringing a pet, or a child along on your adventure, make sure they have their shots and documentation.
Please add to this if there is anything that I may have missed ;)

kmacafee

Adventurer
Our cattle dog Raven has made multiple crossings of the US and has been as far north as Tuk and as far south as Baja.
I always carry her latest vet papers and she has free reign of half the back seat. I'm pretty sure she'd rather be traveling than doing just about anything else.

Attachments

• DSC06054.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220121_070053_824 Copy (1).JPG
    IMG_20220121_070053_824 Copy (1).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • DSC06009 (1).JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 4

ThundahBeagle

I have taken a number of 6 - 8 week trips with Simon, a 30# beagle. A couple of things I have done:
  • I built a platform for his bed; it is his place in the truck, a little bigger than a properly sized kennel. It has his bedding, a non-spill water bowl, and 'seat belt'.
  • He has a tether for when we are traveling that gives him enough room to move around on his bed but not enough to jump on me or hit the dashboard in a panic stop.
  • I have baby shades that I can put up to give him a place out of the sun.
  • I made a 8 1/2 X 11 card that goes on the dashboard whenever I have to leave him in the truck for a few minutes: " CONCERNED FOR MY DOG? CALL 651-XXX-XXXX ". I've had busybodies call Animal Control as soon as I went into a gas station to pay for gas!
  • I made a 12V fan that fits in the rear sliding window of the cab for air circulation for the few times I have to leave him in the truck for more than a few minutes.
  • I made the steps into the camper deeper and covered them with astroturf for both traction and dirt abatement. Makes it easier for Simon to get up and down out of the camper. The astroturf collects an amazing amount of dirt.
We stop every two hours to take a walk and bathroom break; we both need it.

jim
+ infinity for the Beagle!

ThundahBeagle

We've done a few 2+ week trips with our dogs and did 8600km and 3+ weeks this past summer up to the Arctic Ocean in Tuk and back. I removed the back seat from my Tundra and made a nice comfy dog bed platform for them. I used relatively firm dog beds so that they could easily sit up and look out the windows. I have also found that they do better with limited space when traveling, as opposed to having full run of (lets say) the back on an suv. As far as dog food goes, you an only take dog food across the border (either way) that is made in either Canada or the US, and make sure to have the original packaging. You also cannot take dog food into the US that has goat or lamb in it. (and Yes, we have been asked to show our dog food bag to prove its country of origin before). I do a little research on where I can source our dogs food prior to departing so I know we won't run out of their food. I also vacuum pack about 5 days worth of food at a time. it makes it easier to stow in the nooks and crannies in our camper and truck, as opposed to having one huge open bag kicking about.
Also have your dogs shots and vaccinations up to date and carry their paper (we have also have to prove to the US customs that our dogs were up to date on their rabies shots). One of our dogs can get nervous while traveling so we give him a product called Composure to calm him down. It works very well.
If you are heading North to Alsaka you will have to contend with mosquito's, though I found the mozzies to be worse in Northern BC than anywhere else. The best remedy we found to deal with mozzies on our dogs was to use Bronco Equine fly spray. It is dog friendly and works better than any of the other hundred remedies we tried.
I also made a point to take a canine first aid course, and carry a dog-specific first aid kit in my backpack, which is always with us.

PS. The best human mosquito repellant hands down is a mixture of Avon Skin So Soft with rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. This concoction is legendary up North and works betyter than absolutely anything we've ever used on ourselves.
I find the dog food, if dry, is absolutely better in its bag, especially if the bag has a zip lock or "velcro" closure. The bag is more malleable than a hard plastic container. The plastic takes up the same amount of space, full or empty.

Acana dog food is also made in Canada, sold in US and Canada, usually passes through the border well, if you have original pack. Scout, my Beagle and the inspiration for my user name here due to his thunderous bugle of a bay, is so food oriented I have to keep his food in the bed of the truck anyway.

I carry a soft dog bowl on my backpack for water while hiking, and collapsible ones in the truck.

Scout is a 27 pound Beagle and with no kids of my own, he has the run of the back seat, with a harness, tether to the seat belt, and rear seat cover. Being that size, I dont remove the back seat. If I keep the window half down, he can stick his head out, and the harness and tether keep him in check.

For harness, I go with Kurgo Tru-Fit. Massachusetts company. Unfortunately made in China, but to very good specs. I've told them I'd pay more if they made them in the US...It is crash tested. Made of a good weave nylon that is strong but soft against home, with all stainless steel hardware and NESTING BUCKLES like the old linesmen pole harnesses, so it doesn't get brittle and break in the freezing cold, and it almost cant come undone under load and pressure.

I use a Kurgo rear bench seat cover as well. I also bring a Mexican horse blanket.

For leashes and collars I use a New Hampshire-based company called Lupine. Such a tight weave on the leash that it has to break-in. Hold the handle and then leash sticks out horizontal for a few inches before dropping. Tough stuff. And guaranteed for life even if the dog chews through it. I've used the guarantee.

+1 on the vaccination papers. Even a state campground requires the rabies cert so I also bring an overview sheet.

Avon Skin So Soft has been a go-to for many an archaeological dig site. Works wonders but i wouldn't try to climb a ladder after applying it, the stuff is SO slippery.

i give my dog a monthly chewable for heartworm, and apply a shoulder blade topical against fleas, ticks, larvae and all that stuff but often I will still apply some all natural "STEM" by SC Johnson. Good stuff. Anything with Rosemary, Peppermint and Cedar is a help.

My Beagle comes from field champ stock. That's not a brag, it just means he has a super focused prey and food drive and is Go Go Go all the time. He settles down in the back when we are moving, but when we are at a red light or in traffic or moving slow through woods or camp areas, he goes bonkers back and forth and pawing at my right shoulder

The first time I took him camping, he shuffled into my sleeping bag and got down to my feet. When he got too hot, he was in and out. When we got home, he refused to sleep in the dog bed, so I had to lay the sleeping back out on the floor for weeks.

For his relaxation at the campsite I have a Coleman folding dog cot with solid border but tight net webbing for the center. Keeps him off the ground and comfy. Also have a 30 foot tie out to a spiral spike in the ground. Having prey drive off the charts, I couldn't leave him off leash ever. He would come back on his time only.

Dog bags are a must for the campground for obvious reasons and I even bring pet wipes so his paws and "under-tail" are somewhat clean when he gets back into the truck.

On the road, Scout eats before I eat, and drinks before I drink because I dont want to forget him. To keep the master relationship clear, I make him sit and wait until he is released before every meal.

He is curious about everything, so I let him sniff at anything I have in my hands that I am working with, any new packages that come to the house, etc. It placated his need to know, and then he is less likely to get in the way.

Scout is a great camping and and hiking buddy, who pulls constantly because of his determination, but will heel when commanded. If course, 5 steps later he is out in frontagain. Works to my benefit on the way UP the mountain, but I'm constantly asking him to heel on the way down.

I'm pretty sure that the way I die will be Scout lunging off a ravine or cliff after some critter. They will find me after they happen across Scout wandering down the yellow line of a main road in North Conway or someplace like that, all bedraggled, harness and leash still on him with my ripped-off arm still wrapped in and grasping the leash handle. That's when the search party will be sent out

ThundahBeagle

I tend to worry about my pooch. Always need to know where she is, what she is doing, etc. Kindof a pain at camp. Especially after dark.

The best discovery I have made is to get her own sleeping bag for camping. When it starts to get dark I will plunk it down in a camp chair. She will wait until I hold it open, then she jumps in and goes to sleep. Snug as a bug in a rug and she won't move until bed time. I can pick her up and the sleeping bag and carry her to the RTT or camper. At 20 lbs. it's easy to carry her.

This is the sleeping bag we use, and it works so well (for keeping her in one spot, warm, and happy) that at this point we have three of them. One for the bedroom, one for the living room, and have recently put one together for the car. When spring comes I'll purchase one more for the camping gear. The bag is synthetic so if she gets wet it will still help her to stay warm. Very robust. I bought the first one for a large Doberman about eight years ago and it still looks like new.

At everywhere but camp, we set them up like this in a medium kennel. We clip the bag to the kennel. She can get in and out on her own and if she is cold she curls up way in the back (where it automagically covers her up). There is also a dog bed in there to keep it soft.
View attachment 483458

Kinda spoiled huh?
Not spoiled. Genius on you. My dog LOVES the sleeping bag but hasn't been in his crate since he was 6 months old. If I ever need to travel with him in a crate, this is how I'm going to do it

ThundahBeagle

+1, I have Kurgo harnesses for both my dogs and they are great. They also make very nice leashes.
Kurgo leashes are OK, but the multi-config leash is actually very weak at the alternate attachment points.

Take a look at Lupine. Get one in your hands and you will see the difference!

ThundahBeagle

20200801_180910.jpg
On top of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire.

Kurgo Tru-Fit harness. Lupine "midnight Hunter" pattern leash in orange seen lying on the stones in front of him.

yabodie

I took my pup from Maryland to Newfoundland, then through Labrador and back home. About 5,000 miles. I made sure the space in the back seat of the truck was very comfy for her to lay down in multiple ways. In addition to hanging her head out the window for turbo sniffs. In New England and Labrador the black flies were pretty bad for her, so do what you can for the pups to keep the bugs at bay. My pup at camp sites knew not to go off, and the suggestions for leashes are spot on especially for areas they have not been in. Just keep them comfy, take a break every couple hours for you and them. Have treats/toys so they don’t get bored during driving. And enjoy the pups enthusiasm about anything that smells good!

COAKXterra

Our family “pup” is a 130lb mastiff mix. He’s been through Canada to the lower48 and back, plus all the camping adventures.

Crossing borders, I always carry his vet paperwork, as others have said. Never been asked elsewhere. Food (depending on length of trip) is usually in anything from a 2gal sealable plastic tub to a couple large ziplocks. I’ve never been asked about his food crossing through Canada, probably because they are more concerned about firearms or the lack thereof. Collapsible bowls or his stainless ones depending on how we feel for the trip. Usually gets to bring a toy for the car and an outdoor toy (dock rope or chuck-it).

In camp, his restraint will vary as to where we are and if the kiddo is around. We have a 30ft lead we can put on him and tie to the truck, adjusting length appropriate to things like stoves, fires, toddlers, and camp chairs. Middle of nowhere? Electronic collar unless there’s wildlife around. His sleeping arrangement varies as well… if it’s family camping, his crate pad from in the truck goes into the tent (6-person). If it’s just him and I, he sleeps on his platform/crate pad in the back seat of the truck while I roll out a pad in the bed.

We tend to try to eat and go places where he can go with, restaurants with outdoor dog-friendly seating, etc. If he is going to be in the truck or car, we leave back windows and the slider (truck) fairly open with a 12v fan moving air. Note with my phone number goes in the driver window in case someone gets cranky or actually notices an issue. I’ll have to try the laminated card. Just been using scrap paper.

For in-vehicle puppy travel…
In the Power Wagon, I removed the 40% rear seat and fold-out and built a sturdy platform with a hatch to access the under-seat storage. Put a “back panel” on it to secure to the seat mounts. Took an XL Kong crate mat and cut the foam down to fit the curves of the platform. Between that, a mesh divider between the front seats, and a door panel protector, he’s got a pretty sizable amount of room to stretch out and get comfy. Usually sleeps with his head on the center section of the 60% rear seat… weirdly within dropped snack range from our toddler in her car seat back there. They have a pretty good time.

In my wife’s Subaru ascent, we removed the second-row captains chair from the driver side and put another XL crate mat there. Need to build a secured platform still (bought the car about three weeks before I packed it up and drove it to AK… so just wasn’t enough time to really get something built). But… Same concept as the Power Wagon. But we still have the third row and cargo area free in the back and here he has a window to stick his head out too. Toddler in the other side captains chair, again probably “accidently” dropping snacks.

I’ll echo the comments above. Stops every couple hours with a routine. Pee… walk/play… load up… treat.

IMG_1871.jpeg
71478285139__B788268D-6E07-4546-8503-6AE5C2B30549.jpeg
72158038013__5D30E9BA-AB3E-4A57-AFEA-59D0F19B48AB.jpeg

FAW3

Adventurer
Great tips so far!

Our OZY is a camping veteran:
1702817599203.jpeg

Here are some tips I have not seen mentioned:

* I have a rope lead of about 10' with a carabiner clip on one end. The rope is bright yellow...easy to see in the dark. I can easily clip this to about anything and have OZY restrained for safety, and now my hands are free to do other tasks. I use this often when just arriving at a location, it allows me to restrain him and check the surroundings without the worry of him getting attracted by something like a rabbit/squirrel/snake, getting into some broken glass, trash, or any other hazard at a new location.

* Check your campsite for dog hazards. I mentioned some above, I've found broken crack pipes and other hazards over the years, just barely covered human waste, toilet paper, food waste and such.

* Many RV steps and some campspots/rest area picknick tables are made out of a metal open weave mesh. This mesh is a hazard to your dogs feet - it easily catches a paw nail and can rip one off.

* There are traveling dog water bowls with a rim that really does a great job limiting spills. Like this:
No spill dog bowl

* Augment your own first aid kit with items for your mutt. Possible additions: Nail clippers, super glue, wound wrap bandages, Benadryl, something to cut hair down to nearly bare skin.

COAKXterra

Now if I could just get Windy to walk properly on the lead !

Oh did we have problems with this early on. Being over 100lbs at a year old, and anticipating the arrival of our daughter, we invested in some pretty dedicated training… which along the walking on a lead front included using a slip-type lead and taking our pup to the far corner of the local grocery store parking lot every morning at 6:30 or so for 30-45minutes. Basically I would walk him in a square/rectangle pattern (think 4-8 painted parking spots) with him always on my right and being directly next to me. Pressure on the lead could be reduced as he responded to the training. We’d do this in a clockwise pattern for as long as needed before there wasn’t any pressure being placed on the lead to keep him next to me. Starts/stops were done intermittently with no verbal command, just proximity. Once he was on-point with that, we’d switch to a left side clockwise until he had that down. Then right side counter clockwise, then left side counter clockwise. Then mixing it up day to day. All said and done, lead training in an environment deprived of most external stimulation (mailboxes, other dogs, wildlife, people, etc) took the better part of two months. Every morning. Now he knows that getting to go sniff this or explore that is not the point of the walk, but he’s given opportunities and rewarded (small treats) for not pulling and recalling appropriately.

But now he behaves wonderfully on the lead, all 130lbs of toddler puppy. Hiking, walks around the neighborhood, Home Depot, etc. Not to say he’s perfect, but it is a marked difference. My wife could barely walk him before (they weigh about the same) and now she walks him all the time, still using a 6ft slip lead. It also helped greatly with his off-lead recall discipline.

FWIW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior