How many of us bring dutch oven along?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I didn't see any real recommendations on dutch ovens in the thread so far. Still reading. I saw a camp chef with the carry bag. any recommendations? I normally cook for 6 - 8 people at a time when we are out there. 6 is my family and normally there would be a second vehicle or anyone that we meet and invite to meal to share.

10" http://www.gsioutdoors.com/10-hard-anodized-dutch-oven.html
12" http://www.gsioutdoors.com/12-hard-anodized-dutch-oven.html
14" http://www.gsioutdoors.com/14-hard-anodized-dutch-oven.html
and the Frybake http://store.nols.edu/Store/pc/Fry-Bake-Pan-p42.htm#.VcXWdvlUUuE

I carry the 12" and the FryBake all the time. The FryBake nests perfectly inside the 12" GSI.
For your bigger group, you'd have to figure out your combination.

pyrate

Rollin' along
I didn't see any real recommendations on dutch ovens in the thread so far. Still reading. I saw a camp chef with the carry bag. any recommendations? I normally cook for 6 - 8 people at a time when we are out there. 6 is my family and normally there would be a second vehicle or anyone that we meet and invite to meal to share.

All of mine are Lodge products. But they are old Lodge products which seem to have a smoother interior surface than the newer ones. They are much easier to clean up.

Honu

lost on the mainland
just want to say I use the hard anodized aluminum and thank Bill/Hilldweller for his posts and my questions in some other threads which finally pushed me to try them and I now KICK myself for not doing it earlier ;)

clean up is so much easier than my cast iron ever was and I know I repeat this all the time :) and of course the maintenance for camping is so much better along with the less weight etc.....

regular aluminum and hard anodizes are two dif animals for sure but like cracking some cast iron in a roaring fire which can happen anodized is pretty tough so not to be confused with normal cheap aluminum pots etc...

Those are ----- anodized aluminum.
No stick, no weight. Heats up fast and cleans up easy.
My Frybake and 12" Dutch together still weigh less than an iron 10" Dutch alone.

landsharkman

Adventurer
I have a Lodge dutch that I bring some times, but what is in the truck all of the time is a lodge fry pan with a lid which makes for an occasional use dutch oven

Bennettbf

Observer
We slip a little Lodge ten inch into our kitchen box when we head out. Corn Bread, biscuits, pizzas, jambalaya, cobblers, birthday cakes and baked potatoes, it's cooked 'em all.

100_2095.jpg

But after reading this, I might just try one of those anodized aluminum dutch ovens - it might be worth it just to lose 5lbs in the kitchen box.

Bennettbf

Observer
Any experience using the foil liners?

I've only used them in self defense when cooking with the Scouts, and they work just fine. That said, to echo many people who've already posted here: when properly seasoned, and in the hands of even a middling cook like myself who keeps an eye on the temps and watches it like a hawk, you'll never need them.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Ah, _ I melted a few aluminum pots with buddies stoking the fire too much..
errrrr, don't stick it in the fire....
Usually 9 lumps of charcoal under the big pot, 15 on top, place the criss-cross thing on that, Frybake on top of the criss-cross, 12 lumps on that lid. The top one will cook fast this way ---- need to mind it.
But this is how you bake fresh bread/rolls on the bottom and your sausage & peppers on top at the same time. Pots cool down, dog licks them clean, boil some water in them with the leftover coals, and they're totally clean.

Any experience using the foil liners?
You need to use more charcoal since you're going from pot cooking to true oven cooking. they don't conduct the same and it takes practice to use them right.
I hate them...

mkitchen

Explorer
Haven't tried the AL ovens

I have tried the AL frying pans and found that I couldn't get them treated to my satisfaction as I could with the cast iron. They are a lot of weight though and I tend to go with just my 10." If it is a family outing then we bring all three and the 20" frying pan as well.
Mikey

Honu

lost on the mainland
YUP my cast iron griddle is gone and now the partner is the main cook surface :) love that thing kinda want to get the largest one they sell for home use :)

understood. I now own a partner steel stove and aluminum griddle, definitely HARD. I'm sure the piece I had wasn't quality.

ab1985

Explorer
I love my Lodge dutch oven. The weight doesn't bother me - I cook exclusively with cast iron at home. Aluminum liners are ok when cooking more acidic dishes (chili, stew, etc...) but not really necessary.

I got this case from Blue Ridge Overland which holds the dutch oven, lid stand, gloves, and handle.

ab1985

Explorer
They offered them on their site at one point. I saw it at expo east. He said he quit making them because it was too complicated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior