How far is too far on a bike

MTVR

Another good option is the V Strom 650 or 1000. Very affordable, comfortable, plenty of power for the HW, and no shortage of aftermarket accessories.

EXCELLENT.

The V-Strom and the Wee-Strom are both excellent motorcycles, although they could use a little suspension help, and for road use maybe some EBC HH front brake pads...

Last edited:

MTVR

BritKLR, it doesn't have anything to do with "liking" or "not liking" a particular motorcycle- it's basic arithmetic- there is NOTHING that the KLR can do, that another motorcycle cannot do better.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Motorcycling is all about the experience of riding- the motorcycle is simply the tool that we use to gain that experience, not impressing strangers. I don't make enough money to impress myself, much less anyone else, nor do I care whether anyone else chooses to be impressed by my motorcycle- my motorcycle's sole purpose is to make me smile, and the KLR is just not up to that task.

This is the most reasonable and objective comment that you’ve made regarding motorcycle comparisons. Be safe.

b dkw1

Observer
...and lets be honest about the weight of the KLR650. Naked, the KLR650 weighs nearly 450 pounds, which is more than many street bikes...

Funny, mine tipped the scales at 387 no fuel. Where did you get the extra 50#'s from? The only lightening was a different muffler.

b dkw1

Observer
BritKLR, it doesn't have anything to do with "liking" or "not liking" a particular motorcycle- it's basic arithmetic- there is NOTHING that the KLR can do, that another motorcycle cannot do better.

True, the KLR does nothing well, but does everything OK. Also at a price point that can't be beat. And if it falls over, who cares, it's a KLR.

MTVR

Funny, mine tipped the scales at 387 no fuel. Where did you get the extra 50#'s from? The only lightening was a different muffler.

No it didn't. Kawasaki, like a lot of motorcycle manufacturers, lied about the weights of their motorcycles for many years. Badly. Go weigh it for real and see what it actually weighs...

b dkw1

Observer
No it didn't. Kawasaki, like a lot of motorcycle manufacturers, lied about the weights of their motorcycles for many years. Badly. Go weigh it for real and see what it actually weighs...

I did weigh it for real. It got sold about 5 years ago so no putting on the scales now.

Green was the best color.

klr.jpg

With some suspension mods and minor engine work, they are heaps better.

That bike had,
DRZ front end
KTM PDS shock
Newer style head pipe
KTM muffler desnorkled (Freebee, gotta love those KTW guys with too much money and their upgrades)
KLX needle and bigger main jet
Dohickey mod
Skid plate

I put over 90K on that bike with a major portion off road. It went up and down Baja more than a few times. It went cross country several times all with just oil changes. I think the valves got adjusted twice.......

Bought it for 2500 and put about another 1K into it. Best money ever spent.

Edit: I also never washed it the entire time I owned it. I did hose the mud off once after a really bad Baja trip, but that's it LOL.

D

Deleted member 9101

There is no need to get hurt feelings over arithmetic.

Motorcycling is all about the experience of riding- the motorcycle is simply the tool that we use to gain that experience, not impressing strangers. I don't make enough money to impress myself, much less anyone else, nor do I care whether anyone else chooses to be impressed by my motorcycle- my motorcycle's sole purpose is to make me smile, and the KLR is just not up to that task.

Lol...no hurt feelings man...I was just stating facts about the KLR. Dollar for dollar it's hard to beat. In exchange for being slow and heavy you get affordability, durability, it's stupid simple to work on with basic hand tools, and it's very forgiving to ride. Literailly, there is nothing special about it and that's what makes it specail.

It's no different than when I would do track days on my 919... Guys would always bring up what bikes would be better.... But failed to realize that the small increase in performance wasn't worth the cost to me.

D

Deleted member 9101

True, the KLR does nothing well, but does everything OK. Also at a price point that can't be beat. And if it falls over, who cares, it's a KLR.

"Jack of all traded and a master of none"

You can also have damn any mechanic in the world rebuild the motor and any idiot can weld the frame back together... Sometimes that kind of simplicity outweighs speed and power.

It's the VW Beetle of the motorcycle world...lol.

MTVR

Lol...no hurt feelings man...I was just stating facts about the KLR. Dollar for dollar it's hard to beat. In exchange for being slow and heavy you get affordability, durability, it's stupid simple to work on with basic hand tools, and it's very forgiving to ride. Literailly, there is nothing special about it and that's what makes it specail.

It's no different than when I would do track days on my 919... Guys would always bring up what bikes would be better.... But failed to realize that the small increase in performance wasn't worth the cost to me.

There's nothing wrong with the 919 / Hornet- I commend your choice.

Maybe a little suspension work, some sintered HH front brake pads, and the track day tires of your choice, but they're a decent bike...

D

Deleted member 9101

There's nothing wrong with the 919 / Hornet- I commend your choice.

Maybe a little suspension work, some sintered HH front brake pads, and the track day tires of your choice, but they're a decent bike...

I eneded up with new front springs and a Pensky rear shock. I owned of for about 10 years and it did no one thing perferct, but it did do everything well.

My next bike will be something along the lines of an FJR 1300.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles