Have you made your own DIY propane hose for a camp stove?

dbhost

For starters, no I have not made my own, nor would I. Not particularly safe. HOWEVER, to answer your other question, and one not asked but you are going to get an answer anyway....

No, the fitting between the stove, and pipe are not universal. Which is why I sold my Brinkmann Stainless Steel 2 burner stove. Great stove, lousy regulator, and next to impossible to replace.

You do NOT want, for example, to go directly from a bulk tank, or even a 1lb bottle, straight into the input of the stove. That fat end that the bottle screws into is also a pressure regulator and is there for a VERY good reason. Keep it in place.

Now if all you are after is a flexible / hose connector to go between your stove, and the fuel source, take your existing one to a propane shop / hose maker, they are in most medium and larger size cities, and see if they can custom make what you want, see what materials they have that will work best for your application as well. I don't know how well it works for propane, but for example braided stainless fuel lines work great in automotive applications as they are far more resistant to abrasion...

Good luck, and happy travels.

billiebob

I recall that pic and it happened because one of the OxyAcet bottle wasn't fully closed AND there wasn't a protective valve cap on that bottle. This was a Darwin move, glad he didn't get killed.

Making these hoses with the right crimp on ferrule is trivial and don't need a shop to do it necessarily. The max pressure is 10 psi from a high press regulator and the low pressure hose is probably around 1/2 psi or some such thing. Explosions happen when propane pools up, which can happen if you don't shut the tank valve off correctly, regardless of what kind of a propane DIY hose you made for your camping stove.

from google:

Herein, what is the PSI of a low pressure propane regulator? The typical high pressure regulator is set around 10 PSI. Low Pressure LP is rated in inches of water column (in WC). The typical rating for low pressure LP is around 10.5 - 11 inches WC.
Sorry for the "off topic" pic, there is no shortage of relevant pics on the internet.

IMG_1406.jpg

camper-pic.jpeg

car_explosion_10.jpg

Just saying, if you do your own thing, do the research to do it right.
But for the cost, I'd get a gas fitter to do the work.
The risks if you get it wrong are pretty high.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Just curious if it's easy to make a hose that replaces the typical 1lb hose adapter? Is the threaded portion (circled in red) a standard thread of some sort?

View attachment 655936

I see that Camp Chef has something like this.
View attachment 655938
I have wanted a hose like this as well.
My desire is to have the 1lb can mounted in a cabinet with the hose fitting sticking out of a hole. Grab the fitting pulling the hose out of the cabinet attach to stove, remove from stove push hose back in cabinet. My use scenario has an indoor and outdoor kitchen area and the hose should reach both. Besides the footprint of the stove with the green can hanging off it is often bigger than the countertop.
The problem with the one above is the hose is too stiff to pull through a hole. Its in a semi-permanent coil like the pic above.
Secondly, the key component of making this hose is the regulator head which attaches to the top of the 1lb can and has a fitting or threaded insert to allow easy attachment of fittings, the tube type shown above usually has the ends press fit on the tube.
I think most anyone who has suggested to have the hose made by a propane/hydraulic shop knows that these suppliers don't have this type of regulator?
So where can the OP get the regulator that mounts to the top of the 1lb can with a fitting or threaded insert in it?
Additionally, does anyone know the term used to describe the fitting on the stove side?

perterra

Adventurer
I recall that pic and it happened because one of the OxyAcet bottle wasn't fully closed AND there wasn't a protective valve cap on that bottle. This was a Darwin move, glad he didn't get killed.

Making these hoses with the right crimp on ferrule is trivial and don't need a shop to do it necessarily. The max pressure is 10 psi from a high press regulator and the low pressure hose is probably around 1/2 psi or some such thing. Explosions happen when propane pools up, which can happen if you don't shut the tank valve off correctly, regardless of what kind of a propane DIY hose you made for your camping stove.

from google:

Herein, what is the PSI of a low pressure propane regulator? The typical high pressure regulator is set around 10 PSI. Low Pressure LP is rated in inches of water column (in WC). The typical rating for low pressure LP is around 10.5 - 11 inches WC.

Actually there are different types of "high pressure" propane regulators. Most pre-set regulators for small appliances will be in the 10-15 lb range, others will be adjustable up to 60 psi. There are too many variables to make a blanket statement on pressures

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior