Hard-sided wedge style pop-up camper shell currently in development/testing in the mountains of Wyoming

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Agreed. You'd sell a ton of these if you went to production. (No small thing, I know)

joshuag23

Hiatus is using the grocery bag fold. There have been other campers that used the grocery bag fold. They didn't invent it. Hiatus has a flat roof camper and not a wedge style. Regardless of whether they copied someone else and then patented it, that should be enough of a difference... but I'm not a lawyer.

Just and fyi since yours has a similar folding mechanism to Hiatus. They received their Patent yesterday. Looked you changed your design from the first proto, similar to their orig design. All good
Kevin

Spencer for Hire

Howdy! I'm still working my way out of hibernation up here in wintery Wyoming, but there's been a lot of activity underfoot finishing up the flagship camper and starting into the next production unit. The camper design's progress from prototype to production model shows immediate improvements in materials, fit and finish, but there are some other cool new tricks that the flagship has up its sleeve. I've only just begun the real-world testing on the unit you see below, so there will be lessons learned and incremental improvements made along the way. At first blush, though, I'm excited by the added utility that the current iteration provides. The prototype did a great job of creating shelter, but I wanted to pursue some ideas that would lend a more open and social atmosphere while also delivering shade.

Shelter:
View attachment 656592

Shade:
View attachment 656593

Buttoned up for the road:
View attachment 656594

Writing you fine folks while drinking coffee and hanging out at the bar with a curious shop dog:
View attachment 656596

We were able to break-in the camper's fiesta mode yesterday evening with a good friend that I met through the portal, while we talked campers and watched some migrating elk graze. I have greatly benefited from his ideas along the way as well as all of your collective input and encouragement. Working to bring the camper into production over the past year has been a wild ride, but we're staying the course and looking forward to what lies ahead. The rapid snap back in demand for all types of materials has created global shortages across many industries. There's still plenty of patience and persistence that will be required to keep camper materials flowing! In the meantime, I remain focused on continuing to improve the product and make happy customers. There's still some time needed before we'll be ramping up production and serving a broader geographic range, but I'm excited to continue sharing progress with this community. I have enjoyed lending what small insights I can to different folks working on DIY builds. Keep up the good work, everyone!

Cheers to warmer weather and many camping adventures to come this year!
Is this your design? https://www.hardsider.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles