HAMBO build thread

Abitibi

Explorer
Now that you have the awning installed, do you have any thoughts on the ideal width?
Especially since You’ve got to lot more time camping in a crestline than anyone else I know.

The reason I’m asking is that I have a manual, self supporting, awning that came on mine when I bought it. The tarp is about 7.5’ wide... which would be good, if it didn’t stick out about 8” on either side of the box. Before I reinstall it I plan to cut down the tarp and hardware to a narrower width. Originally I was thinking I’d limit the hardware width to 88”(box width), but I’ve since realized it would fit and look better if it were narrower.

Thoughts?

On my old Ambo I had the ARB 2000 (6'6"). If I'd make one custom I'd cut it where the box starts to curve at the corner, would look better and would provide all the cover you need (just under 6'). Main thing is that it's easy to deploy, if not it just doesn't get used. That's why I went with this little electric one, it doesn't cover as much as I'd like but it will be used tons more than my previous one... which is the goal right!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Depth or height? Depth is only restricted by accessible room and slider's length.
For the height it depends how much free head room you have. Mine was around 6" and it worked good. I was putting heavy stuff in there so making it bigger (deeper drawer) would have put more stress on the sliders as I'd be loading it more ;)
Think of the step to climb on top of it to access your dinette, myself I'd like to keep it around 7".
For a step, consider the building code for stairs, we are used to 7” high steps... and will be caught off guard and stumble on a stair that’s much higher than that.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
On my old Ambo I had the ARB 2000 (6'6"). If I'd make one custom I'd cut it where the box starts to curve at the corner, would look better and would provide all the cover you need (just under 6'). Main thing is that it's easy to deploy, if not it just doesn't get used. That's why I went with this little electric one, it doesn't cover as much as I'd like but it will be used tons more than my previous one... which is the goal right!
I’ve been thinking the same thing, but wanted to bounce it off someone else to be sure I wasn’t overlooking something.

I really like how easily this one deploys without support poles... although it is a manual crank using a pole. Perhaps I’ll change that at some point with an old wiper motor or retired cordless drill motor. But for now KISS and not over complicate the project. Cutting it down and mounting it so a tricky enough project. No need to over think it to death.

java

Expedition Leader
Manual crank is really easy.... Keep It.

And watch for wind!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fredricksen

Touching on what @[B]iggi[/B] said about the light buckets..
I have a box with lights that are 9"x7".. and there are just empty hollow caverns in the walls behind the reflectors.

I have seen where people have mounted 4" square LED floods in the reflectors..
but in the back of my mind.. I am wondering about the heat generated by the 'new' generation of lights

Has that been an issue for anyone?
If the lights are mounted in the buckets or in the wall space without airflow would that be problematic?

TheRealPapaK

I cut the heat sink off a light for a test. Even with the heat sink removed the aluminum housing was enough to keep it cool to the touch. LEDs can get up to about 60C all the time before it starts affecting performance if I remember correctly. If you can put your light against the metal body of the housing you won't have an issue for sure as the heat will just travel down the aluminum

Abitibi

Explorer
good job sir !
Thank you buddy.

So this jfarsang good friend of mine is not impressed with the new name, apparently he's having a hard time pronouncing it ;)

We went back in fourth about it and ended up laughing about another option. You see, my HAM licence is VA7PIG so we thought on calling this new ambulance HAMBO.

As long as i dont need to repaint it (again) pink, lol

What you guys think? :D

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

iggi

Ian
lol Is this name changing gonna become a daily occurrence? Or should we start a betting pool for how long you'll keep a project name? ;)

Abitibi

Explorer
Ok we are another day and so far it's still called Hambo ;)

Topic of the day, Front Seats!

On my last ambo I used some cool JDM seats that had over 30" of track travel, integrated swivel and a bunch of other cool options.

I was tempted to repeat this, even have couple of those seats left over but that's no fun right? Gotta come up with something new and interesting!

So this is what I came up with, used Air Ride Seat from a semi truck! Surprised I've never seen anyone try this before in an Econoline!

Looks like it will fit, has bunch of cool features and it was much cheaper than what some vendors are asking for their fancy seats.

I'll need to build a custom base for it, trying to keep it low profile at the same time, add heated pads and possibly relocate the seatbelt tensioner module.

Looking forward to the bouncy castle, lol

Cheers
David
f970f3b9dbc6b48079b3cb171f98fb36.jpg
1d80ca60217b04b0c7fa552f3c390f20.jpg
06712af71fa179ab1978cee9360c0323.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Ok we are another day and so far it's still called Hambo ;)

Topic of the day, Front Seats!

On my last ambo I used some cool JDM seats that had over 30" of track travel, integrated swivel and a bunch of other cool options.

I was tempted to repeat this, even have couple of those seats left over but that's no fun right? Gotta come up with something new and interesting!

So this is what I came up with, used Air Ride Seat from a semi truck! Surprised I've never seen anyone try this before in an Econoline!

Looks like it will fit, has bunch of cool features and it was much cheaper than what some vendors are asking for their fancy seats.

I'll need to build a custom base for it, trying to keep it low profile at the same time, add heated pads and possibly relocate the seatbelt tensioner module.

Looking forward to the bouncy castle, lol

Cheers
David
f970f3b9dbc6b48079b3cb171f98fb36.jpg
1d80ca60217b04b0c7fa552f3c390f20.jpg
06712af71fa179ab1978cee9360c0323.jpg

I’ve seriously considered one of those. You’re going to have to let us know how it works out.

I guess you’re also going to need on-board air. I started with a 12v compressor. When it’s 5/8” steel shaft sheared off i decided to switch to 120. The smaller Makita compressor easily runs off the inverter and is fast. It was a small fraction of the cost of a good 12v and tank setup.

I really like the look of that one... it’s hard for me to find seats that are tall enough. Often the top of the seat hits me mid upper back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier