HAM radio/amateur radio FAQ

Recommended books for Overlanding

Don't Go There. It's Not Safe. You'll Die.: And other mor...
by Jared McCaffree, Jessica Mans, Kobus Mans
From $19.99
Road Fever (Vintage Departures)
by Tim Cahill
From $8.99

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thanks guys! I am thinking i only "need" the technician level, some of the me contracts i work they all use HAM for the remote stuff, with mobile repeaters set up. I worked a dog sled race, and those guys were dialed. I was amazed by all they could do with them.

They were sending emails with them, and even had remote motion sensors set up that would transmit " Motion 1" " Motion two".

Last edited:

prerunner1982

Adventurer
...some of the me contracts i work they all use HAM for the remote stuff, with mobile repeaters set up. I worked a dog sled race, and those guys were dialed. I was amazed by all they could do with them.

They were sending emails with them, and even had remote motion sensors set up that would transmit " Motion 1" " Motion two".
There is a lot you can do with ham radio, it's not just voice comms. I use it to track my Jeep, track others, I can send a SMS text message to my wife's phone from the radio in my Jeep, or send a short email, I have even done all 3 through a digital repeater on the International Space Station. I can hook up my tablet to my HF radio and send digital signals around the world, I can send pictures, video, all sorts of stuff. It's a slippery slope.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I dont want to get the tread too off track, but.....this was the check point i worked, ( with the wall tent) the repeater trailed was a few hundred yard away from our camp. They had one of the coms channels hooked up to a FM transmitter, and even had the IP cameras, everything was run off a generator charging the massive battery packs.